Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

oh my aching back

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
Ok, prepare for the gayest of all solutions. But, it's for real, yoga. I've had back and shoulder issues for 10 years, hell maybe 20...started doing yoga and within weeks it was gone. No joke. And if it weren't for tryin to help a brother out, I would never admit to it. But, as it is... I do it every week. Go ahead, let it rip...I can take it :)

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Josh, I ain't going too knock anything that gives anyone relief from chronic back pain..... Glad you found something that works buddy.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What J said. Lower back pain is no joke. I have bad allergies. When the back is really tweaked and your sneeze brings you to tears. . . I hate that. Fortunately (knock on wood) mine has been behaving lately. Need to get to the chiropractor though as I know it is just a tad off. I have been doing some light working out and stretching just to help prevent further problems.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sorry to hear Boone. Hope you get to feeling better. I'll have to try some of Hucks stretching exercises. I've dealt with lower back pain for over a decade.

Hate to hear about your back problem TOO! Back in March I had two herniated discs in my neck, between C4 & 5 and between C5 &6. The MRI showed they were pretty bad and the pain I was having was unbearable even with pain meds and muscle relaxers. Doc said therapy could make it worse before it got better with the condition it was in so we decided to have surgery. Was in for surgery and immediately after the only pain I had was at the incision site. Was a 2 night stay for me and I was released. Had to take it easy for a couple weeks before I could go back to work and now I have been released completely. Lost a lot of strength due to not doing anything and not being able to use my neck but things are coming around now. Basically they went in, put a piece of cadaver bone between the C4-C5 and between C5-C6 and a plate over each with a couple of screws.

Around the same time my mom went in for outpatient surgery on her lower back. She spent well over a year going to therapy and doing this and that but nothing helped the pain. Said it TOO was a herniated disc. Decided to go to another doctor for a second opinion and they spotted a sharp edge, likely calcium build-up of sorts, that was pinching her disc. So they went in and basically ground off that sharp edge on the inside of her vertebrae. Was done in no time and was sitting at an IHOP for a late lunch with no more pain!!!

Since my surgery I have met so many people that have had similar problems as I had. Most all have gone the therapy route only to have lingering pain or times where it just comes back and shuts them down for a while. Every one of them have said it hasn't been worth it and wished they had done surgery. Of course I am still recovering so to speak so I don't have many years to show for it but my FIL had the same surgery quite a few years back and from the day he walked out of the hospital he has had no other problems. Bout the only lingering thing I am worried about is all the Dr. bills that have come in as a result.......

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Back pain sucks! Hopefully they get you straightened out Boone.

Being in a computer chair 7 or 8 + hours a day, I will definitely be trying out some of the stretching advice on this thread.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I didn't realize so many us have back issues. I too sit at a desk all week but run myself ragged when I am not at work taking care of yardwork, coaching and keeping up with my kids. I'm getting a few Drs opinions and will move on from there.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Battle of the bulge is another factor that can cause back pain, there was an article years ago that I read that showed for every 5 pounds over weight you are the amount of stress on the back and lower joints that it created..... Was a real eye opener.....

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
When I was young I was completely skeptical of anybody who claimed back pain
Then it happened to me
I've never doubted since then
Stretching is key
Prevention is key
And I've never met anyone who practices yoga who complains of back pain
I'm honestly intrigued by it, just can't see my big ass in downward dog