Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ok guys Go!

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I wouldn't mind the racoon season extension. I think s bobcat season is or soon will be needed.

I'm neutral on corn piles, yes i use them but I'm also actively trying to improve my land to not need them.

What about allocating some actual money to the wardens so they can actually enforce the laws on the books? so many times i read on here of this or that happening and it's day(s) until the warden gets back with the individual making the complaint

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I probably spend more money than anyone here on corn per year to give the deer more reason to be on my property. We only hunt over it late season. I am 100% for banning it. But I’m afraid that will only make the corn hunters more successful. They will still bait and hunt over it…it’s just too easy for them and they don’t know any other way to hunt. If the law abiding hunters do not then more deer will go to the piles that are out there.
I have my property set up with enough edges and plots to still have a lot of fun if corn isn’t used.

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
I wouldn't mind the racoon season extension. I think s bobcat season is or soon will be needed.

I'm neutral on corn piles, yes i use them but I'm also actively trying to improve my land to not need them.

What about allocating some actual money to the wardens so they can actually enforce the laws on the books? so many times i read on here of this or that happening and it's day(s) until the warden gets back with the individual making the complaint
I seen a couple weeks ago they put out an ad looking to hire 15 wardens . Bad thing is there'd be no way to know what county you'd end up in until after the school and training were finished and they offered the job. I know that's not a lot but that's the most I've seen them trying to hire at one time

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
On the license thing. I have a lifetime Ohio license but still have to pay NR tag fees. So if they went to a draw system I would be in the NR pool. But to be honest, Ohio isn't worth applying for a draw style tag. There's not enough public land to make it worth it, and the public that is there isn't worth the time as far a buck quality goes.

My FILs brother has a lifetime AZ license. He still enters the resident draw pool for elk tags but has to pay the NR tag fee. Which is nice considering 90% of elk tags are reserved for residents.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Illinois has a non resident cap limit I believe.
Residents of New Mexico have to draw to hunt elk in their own state..
Non Resident land owners in Iowa have to draw as well.
I think otc tags are ruining the quality of deer hunting on public land.
Take a look at the quality of otc elk in Colorado.
I can see both sides of the coin and don’t have all the answers.
Illinois doesn't have a non-resident cap as per say... But deer tags are limited for both resident and non-resident.... Archery is statewide and firearm permits are county specific... Archery is a general draw for everyone... After the initial draw archery permits go on sale over the counter to both residents and Non-Residents and are available right till the end of the season with many permits not being sold... Firearm permits are awarded by 2 lotteries... First lottery is for residents only then a second lottery is held for Non-Residents, then leftover permits go on sale in Oct. over the counter... Lately all firearm permits are sold out during the over the counter sales to both residents and Non-Residents...

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
On the license thing. I have a lifetime Ohio license but still have to pay NR tag fees. So if they went to a draw system I would be in the NR pool. But to be honest, Ohio isn't worth applying for a draw style tag. There's not enough public land to make it worth it, and the public that is there isn't worth the time as far a buck quality goes.

My FILs brother has a lifetime AZ license. He still enters the resident draw pool for elk tags but has to pay the NR tag fee. Which is nice considering 90% of elk tags are reserved for residents.
Lack of public ground in much of Iowa too. That void is filled by outfitters and high priced leases. So yea, not worth it to anyone who doesn’t want to swim in that pool.

Last edited:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I’d love to see DMAP be implemented.

- Basic idea is a biologist surveys X number of acres (private or public) and determines harvest quotas specific to that area.

I’ve spoke to a few folks in the south who have seen them implemented. I’ve never heard a bag thing about them.

mike hunt

I think you need to limit the amount of doe that get killed. No doe, no babies. Like going to the bar and killing all the chicks, all you have left is boy pussy.

Bighoun52

In the woods
I’d love to see DMAP be implemented.

- Basic idea is a biologist surveys X number of acres (private or public) and determines harvest quotas specific to that area.

I’ve spoke to a few folks in the south who have seen them implemented. I’ve never heard a bag thing about them.
We use dmaps here in pa. You have to fill out some forms and have a deer management plan for your property. You can get a doe tag per every 15-20 acres if you have reason to. It’s the only way to keep does in check for some areas

Reactions: Wildlife

at1010

*Supporting Member*
We use dmaps here in pa. You have to fill out some forms and have a deer management plan for your property. You can get a doe tag per every 15-20 acres if you have reason to. It’s the only way to keep does in check for some areas
Yes. I had an opportunity to speak with Dr. Bronson Strickland a year or two ago. We spoke about DMAP and how successful it can be, especially where larger tracts are all combined (say 5000 acres per area). It really allows for the specific harvest data to be gathered, and quotas to be set per that data.