Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Omega shooting?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Steve- 50cal. Thanks for reminding me about the gun show too. Just got back from out there. I have added a couple more bullet weights and brands. All I really need to do is verify it is the scope and not the gun. Once this is accomplished, then i can get the sights dialed in or order a new scope and go from there. If it is NOT the scope, then I have a butt-load of bullet variations to choose from to see what works best.

Jim- Thanks. Guess i am paying for the times when you go out, fire 3-4 rounds and are dead nuts accurate. lol

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I just got home and read through it real quick, sorry Phil if I missed previous answers to these questions.

Is the gun grouping and the groups are moving or is it failing to even group?

If it is grouping and the groups are moving check the mounts and scope. Also check how the forend is attached.

If it's not grouping.
What primers are you using, regular shotgun 209s or muzzleloader 209s. My rifle doesn't seem to make much difference but some guys claim a big difference.

Are you using pellets or loose power? If loose change the charge 10 grains either way. If pellets be careful that you are placing the dark side down and not crushing them when seating.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hmm. . .dark side down. Never would have thought about that. Just checked the box and they are all in there dark side up. I have NOT been going dark side down. Prior to pulling the scope I will try a couple more shots. Yes, pellets. Pyrodex 100gr.

Primers are muzzle loading primers.

Groups are consistent. When adjusting the scope it seems the up/down is pretty dang consistent. The adjustments left/right are what is funky. If it is say 4" left and I make an adjustment for 2" to the right, you don't know what to expect until you head down range. Sometimes I get no change at all. Sometimes it ends up being 2-6" right. I really think there is something wrong with the left/right adjustment on the scope.

I think tomorrow is going to tell me a lot. Open sights at 50-75yds using the Leadsled is the plan of action. If I get her dialed in open sights I will order a new scope and at least I will know I am good open sights as far as my abilities allow me to shoot. (12yds. hhahaa)

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
If it is grouping and the group moves erratically when adjusting the scope it is most likely the scope is crap.

A few years ago Cabelas put their labeled red dot sights on sale real cheap. I bought one to put on my daughter's 870. When I went to sight it in I was getting farther away from the target instead of closer. The windage adjustment is marked incorrectly, right is left and left is right. Cost me a couple of boxes of expensive slugs before I figured it out(so much for saving money on the scope ;-( )

The black on the pyrodex pellets is a material to help with ignition(some claim it's BP). I don't doubt they ignite either way but they will ignite more reliably and probably hotter with the black end down.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Probably foolish to do so, but I just ordered 2 of the Nikon Omega 3-9x40 scope in Real Tree with flip up scope covers. My buddy wanted one and so we each will have a new scope on Wednesday. I probably should have fired it open sights first to verify it was the scope. Natchez has a 30day exchange and 15day return policy though.

Matt

Norton, OH
Another thing to consider is your cheek placement on the stock. Are you holding pretty steady, or do you find yourself jerking a bit? Try a dry fire after a live fire and see what you are doing. If you don't place your cheek on the stock the same way every time, you could throw off your point of aim. I could be wrong on this as well, but I had some difficulty with this before.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Mattt- This is a good point. I don't feel this is the issue though. It was in the Leadsled rest and I was concentrating on breathing, trigger squeeze and such the whole time. Even if my cheek placement was off a bit, I don't foresee it being off more than an inch or two on paper. We are talking about making an adjustment for 2" and the shot moves 6" or sometimes none. Didn't get to shoot open sights today, but for an extra $4 I had them ship it 2nd Day Air. Should have it on Wednesday. Going to be shooting Wednesday for sure. It will either be a go or I am done for the season (deer hunting, still need to figure out the Omega).

Hunter II

It sounds like a scope/rings/bases issue to me but another possibility is the pellets being bad. How old are they? Do you have any loose to try?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No kidding Jim. Wife is at work. Scope should be here tomorrow. While Momma is sleeping and the kids are in school I am off to do some shooting. If the Omega is not ready to kill by Thursday I don't know what I will do. Have various bullets from 200-300gr and I just need to find the combination. Hopefully once the scope is mounted it shoots them all decently.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Hicks. I have a feeling once you get the new scope mounted you will be good to go. I have the Omega as well. Mine likes 245gr Powerbelt and 100gr Pyrodex (2 pellets) and Triple 7 primers. When I take mine out to shoot I pop 2 primers to burn any excess oil then send a dry patch down. After that I am good to go. I have always loaded the Pyrodex with the black side down so not sure what effects it would have if you loaded them opposite. From reading when I first got it the black ring on the pellets is suppose to make them ignite quicker and more consistent. Not sure how much it would change the consistency of the round but suppose it could.

Good luck getting it dialed in.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Scope is on. It is bore sighted in. Ran outta daylight to shoot by the time i got done working. Heading out tomorrow after the salt spreader is mounted on the new truck. Going to kill some paper.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nope. Got my guys out salting and now I need to get to the BMV to put some plates on our new truck. Looks like daylight is going to kick my butt again. Maybe not, but I am not counting on beating the last light bell.