Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Omega shooting?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Plowing snow on an hour nap. Not looking good. Maybe we finish up, get a nap, and I shoot this afternoon. Nothing like a little bit of procrastination on my part. I work well under pressure. Hell, I should be plowing instead of checking in here. Too much time to get my accounts done and I wouldn't know what to do if I finished early I guess. haha

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
How much snow do you have there? We only have a slight dusting up here, ground isn't even covered.

Just wondering because I am planning to head south tomorrow to do some coyote hunting in Indiana and it's about straight west of your place. I hope there is more snow there also.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would say the grass got 1.5-2" from yesterday through last night. We salted during the day which melted most of it to wet pavement yesterday. The additional snow (into last night) put anywhere from 1/2-1" on the ground. We plowed a few zero tolerance places, and salted the others again. I think the ground temps must have been up a decent bit.

Just woke up. Feels good to sleep. Garrett gets off the bus at 4PM. Wife is heading to Girl Scouts with my daughter. I will have a snack ready, gun stuff loaded, and take my boy along for some shooting here soon. Little bit of Daddy-Garrett time is in order. Probably have dinner together and get him a hot chocolate to spend some time with him. Probably have him bring his DS so he can hang out in the cab of the "new truck" while I shoot. Then we will get home, work on his homework, and maybe play some Mario Cart. The kids seem to love it when I play this with them.

Last edited:

Diablo54

Outside
Good luck phil. Is garret old enough to shoot a few? Maybe only put 50grainsbof powder in for him

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Garrett is 6. Even if he was old enough and physically able to do so, he does not have the maturity yet. He is an active 6yr old and will NOT have as much as a BB gun until I feel he is mature enough to handle it. I think I will know when he is ready. Not sure how, but time will tell.

Garrett and I made it out. Groups are good. I am still not fully comfortable with my scope being perfectly dialed in. However, if I were to shoot dead center, the last 4-6 shots would have been kill shots at 75yds. I am going to see what happens. Here are a few pictures I took while cleaning tonight. One is the target, the other is my accumulation of bullets which I plan to play around with a bit more in the near future, and the last one is the Omega with new Nikon Omega 3-9x40 scope with the 250BDC mounted.

Attachments

• IMG00397-20110107-2146 Omega target.jpg
    IMG00397-20110107-2146 Omega target.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG00396-20110107-2145 bullet selection.jpg
    IMG00396-20110107-2145 bullet selection.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG00398-20110107-2230 Omega Born to Kill.jpg
    IMG00398-20110107-2230 Omega Born to Kill.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 171

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I started using them. You can see on my target where I walked the scope into adjustment. Every shot I put on there was very close to the last one. I first fired two shots. Touching. I moved the scope and fired two more. Touching. Then I started taking one shot and adjusting the scope until I was true left/right and just a tad high. Then I ran out of daylight. Like I said, the gun is not what I would call "dialed in". It is shooting consistently enough with the 200gr Shockwaves and 100gr Pyrodex that i just didn't want to mess with any other bullets. My main concern was being able to hunt with it. I will play around after the season, get the scope where I feel very comfortable with it, then play with other bullet/powder combinations at some longer yardages. I will keep you posted.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here is the crappy part of all this. I am not sure I will make it out to hunt at ALL during this muzzle loader season now. We had already pulled the spreader and most of the plow off our 2003 Chevy 2500HD. Now tomorrow is going to be devoted to getting the plow and spreader mounted on the 06 Ford F350 we just purchased. ugh! Looks like Tuesday is going to be a busy day plowing. I am hoping we get far enough along that I can sneak out tomorrow late afternoon. I did manage a ride on the quad in the woods I shot my buck this year. Two guys were pulling out in a truck dressed in orange. Argh. They didn't see anything to include any tracks. I saw some tracks, so i am hoping to make it happen tomorrow eve. Later I saw 3 does feeding along the wood's edge. I have a plan which would allow me to sneak in along a fenceline and hunt from the ground. Might even allow a late arrival. Wish me luck on getting the new truck ready to go!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
From the looks of them almost cutting themselves on the first two rounds out of the box... I'd say those are pretty friggin good and why mess with any other round???? Now if you take it out too longer distances and have issues well then that's differant but I'd say your combo is pretty good.... Hopefully you'll be able to make it out with all the time and effort you've put into it.... Good luck...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks J. I think I am going to have one of my guys drop me off in the next ten minutes. Gives me an hour or so to hope they peak their heads out at last light. If not, I will have him pick me up and help him finish mounting the plow on the new truck. Gotta roll! Hope there are some doe girlies waiting on me to get into position before moving out tonight!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well, after spending much of the day chasing my tail and installing a plow I decided I needed to get away for a bit. Had my foreman drop me off and I walked in from a different direction than usual. ENE winds. He dropped me off and drove around the block back to the shop. Called me and said they were just on the opposite side of the thicket. Probably the same 5-7 that jumped across the road in front of us earlier this week. My plan was looking good, but they must have headed south instead of north like they did last night. Walked home and helped him finish mounting the plow. Wired for snow plowing action, but still no blood on the new Omega. Maybe if I am up early tomorrow I will sneak out for a morning hunt before it starts snowing too much. Kinda doubt it though because we are supposed to see snow starting at 6am. Doesn't look like I will be checking in here for a few days.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Goodluck phil. Now make some money

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

I will take that as an order! No hunting, but we are taking care of the customers. I will check back in in a few days. By the way, I grabbed one of the 8'2" Boss V's. Didn't even squat the truck. Texted dannman a picture if he wants toi post it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I will take that as an order! No hunting, but we are taking care of the customers. I will check back in in a few days. By the way, I grabbed one of the 8'2" Boss V's. Didn't even squat the truck. Texted dannman a picture if he wants toi post it.

Alright Dan what you waiting for lol....