Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Open to planting suggestions

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here is the deal. New property, mowed down every perimeter line we could 10-20' depending upon the area. Most of the areas on this property are overgrown weeds. We cut down (with the flail mower) every area we want food plots. Our main goal is winter browse to hold the deer once crops are off. We hope to get the spraying done soon. Getting the planting in late, but at least we will have something in there. Suggestions for good late season plantings. I have my ideas, but looking for additional opinions. Thanks

Milo

Tatonka guide.
With as dry as it has been and forcast out to be, you really don't have many options. maybe plant something green..and hurry...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Plant some oats or rye... something easy. If you broadcast clover over top it should come up in the spring pretty good, after establishing roots this fall. Maybe frost seed with clover in the spring, too. Brassicas would be a good winter food source, but I think it's a lost cause trying to plant brassica this late. I think you could get oats to grow though.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
JBrown- that is where I figured I would have to take this planting. Spray it down, put oats/rye with clover in there, but realistically expect to frost seed clover in early spring or maybe even late winter.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
JBrown- that is where I figured I would have to take this planting. Spray it down, put oats/rye with clover in there, but realistically expect to frost seed clover in early spring or maybe even late winter.

Yea, that's a safe bet I think. It's about as easy and affordable as it gets. I paid about 60 bucks for enough oats, rye, red clover, and ladino clover to plant an acre on the heavy side. I have faith that there's still time to plant cereal grains. I'm pretty sure I'm going to head back down to Carroll County this weekend to plant another one. I wish this rain would hold off until Sunday but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I'd do cereal grains if you can get them in like yesterday. Honestly, I'd just feed corn this winter and do things right come spring time. Get the soil tested, work it up real well, then plant some clover. Maintain the clover, then come back in the fall and disc it up lightly and plant some turnips. I wish I could so something like that every year!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I planted two more small plots yesterday... one was 1/8 acre and the other was 1/4 acre... canadian oats and winter rye. Come on rain!!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I got one in a couple weeks ago. We have not gotten these areas sprayed yet. I still plan on hitting them soon. Then they will be hit with the 4420(I think is the model?) JD with an offset disc. Don't know if it will happen this fall, but at least they will be ready to go. Maybe a frost seeding is in store for these areas. Seems most logical.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Updates. The plots I put in on the other property (small property) a few weeks ago are doing nothing. Haven't had any rain. Deer tracks all over but I think they are just eating the seeds prior to germination.

New farm got disked tonight. I have told my buddy I have serious reservations about it. I just don't think it is going to grow at all. If it does the first frost will kill it out. Even so he is dead set on planting. In the end it is still a good thing. Whether the planting is successful or not, getting it disked and working the ground will help us down the road. It has not been worked in years if it was ever worked at all. I think just working it, letting mother nature plant what she wants and mowing it a few times a year would benefit us. I will try to post a few pics. FWIW, it is not a 4420, it is a 4450. Beautiful piece of equipment which makes my tractor look like a toy. Good to have friends. There are two food plots which look very similar. The one is wider than the other, but both equal in length. We had 3 areas mowed down for plots, but he selected 2 other areas to disk as well. 5 strategically placed plots on a 70-80 acre property should work out for us down the road. Late season food sources are the goals.

Attachments

• DSCN1587 disk food plots 3.jpg
    DSCN1587 disk food plots 3.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 162
  • DSCN1591 exiting nw food plot.jpg
    DSCN1591 exiting nw food plot.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCN1592 final disk product foodplot nw.jpg
    DSCN1592 final disk product foodplot nw.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 159

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dude that is some serious food-plotting equipment! Lucky you! Looks like those will be some great spots this fall. FWIW, I just check my plots today and 2 of the 3 have begun germination and sprouting. The first plot and one of the plots I planted last weekend have oats and rye popping up all over... about 2-4" tall now. And I'm starting to see the clover just barely showing up as well. Keep the faith my man.