Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opening weekend hopefuls...

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Greg and I have been holding out on OS as it has gotten to be too small of a world over there. Now that we have a smaller place to hang out, it is probably safe for us to share some pics. So for the ones that haven't seen these yet, here is Crazy Rack and Hook Jr...

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Crazy Rack and Hook Jr. together...

Is it not crazy how similar Hook Jr. is to our nemesis from last year, Hook. These deer were photographed a little less than a year apart in velvet roughly 1/2 mile from one another...

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Very nice Jesse. I like Hook Jr. lol. How odd but cool is that rack.

I only have one that I have seen and gotten on cam so far but his bigger brother and father are still around someplace. Until I see them running around this one will be my target.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
How is that Primos cam treating you?

Pretty good so far. The one I left out there since the day I bought them had 147 pics in a weeks time and still 99% battery. Still going lol.

What one of the bucks are you keying into this year. Hook Jr. or Crazy Rack ? Either of them would be nice to wrap a tag on but, I'm sure you have a favorite one :D.

P.S.

If you want to delet the pic I posted that would be cool. I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I was in a rush and didn't read the thread title the way it was intended to be :D.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Pretty good so far. The one I left out there since the day I bought them had 147 pics in a weeks time and still 99% battery. Still going lol.

What one of the bucks are you keying into this year. Hook Jr. or Crazy Rack ? Either of them would be nice to wrap a tag on but, I'm sure you have a favorite one :D.

P.S.

If you want to delet the pic I posted that would be cool. I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I was in a rush and didn't read the thread title the way it was intended to be :D.

Its all good buddy! I don't mind...

Greg and I have decided that we'll let Crazy Rack go in hopes he survives. If not, we hope he gets killed by Greg's wife or maybe a few buddies of ours that will hunt another farm we have permission on right next to this one. I know we are both hoping he makes it another year!

As for Hook Jr, he will be our main focus until something else comes up. If we are hunting him smart, we are still in good places to kill a mature buck. Not sure about Greg, but I won't pass up another shooter just to kill Hook Jr. There will be no more "hunting one deer" for me. We are going to work together to see that this deer takes a dirt nap this fall. I don't care who kills him as long as it's one of us or someone with us. But I'll be doing what I can to keep on this deer and kill him. He won't make OBB and that kinda sucks, but he's too good of a deer to let walk in the area we are hunting because no one else will...

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I hope it all comes together for you guys with Hook Jr. I just think that rack is cool looking and can't wait to see it without the velvet.

Now, if Greg's wife is going after Crazy Rack what buck do you have lined up for your other half ? :D

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I hope it all comes together for you guys with Hook Jr. I just think that rack is cool looking and can't wait to see it without the velvet.

Now, if Greg's wife is going after Crazy Rack what buck do you have lined up for your other half ? :D

I've been watching this deer most of the summer feeding in the beans west of here about 500 yards. In all, I've seen a dozen borderline and up P&Y bucks in this area, so there will be plenty for her to choose from. (I've seen 3 that I would shoot and have heard of two more "giants" from a reputable neighbor, there is plenty of incentive for me to hunt here some too!) I can keep things comfortable and better manage the filming with Tracie in a blind, so she will not bowhunt many places but right here. I didn't even get her permission on the good farm because I didn't want to fool with taking her out there and complicating things! :D

BTW, this deer will go 130 if he goes 100. He had a great July!!!

OhioHunter88

Perry County
wow, those deer definately do look identical.

I wish you guys the best of luck, I have to move in to my apartment in PA on Sept, 23rd and will rarely get to come back to hunt, So I hope you guys lay some big ones down for me to look at :D

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
The one you have been watchnig looks like he has some age on him, might be the pic but he looks old in the face to me. I dont see anysway in his back though.

Hook jr is going to be a nice kill for someone, hes nice regardless. I would have a hard time letting that one walk by me. Crazy rack is awesome, I like those messed up racks more than the nice symetrical ones though

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Starting next week, I plan on spending every free evening I have glassing the beans looking for a target of my own. I think Jesse's onto something with this buck, and I'm gonna let him have at it. I have faith that there are other nice deer on that farm, we just don't have the videos or picture to prove it. I did see one last Sunday when I check the my camera that looked to be a real nice eight, so I'm gonna see if I can track him down. I'm gonna move my camera some for the next month, then come the middle of September, I'm gonna pull it and try to help Jesse hone in on Jr.

It's gonna be an enjoyable year, that is for sure. I'm looking forward to doing some videoing this fall. Hopefully I can get that ATV sold and purchase the camera I want to buy. We will see!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Starting next week, I plan on spending every free evening I have glassing the beans looking for a target of my own. I think Jesse's onto something with this buck, and I'm gonna let him have at it. I have faith that there are other nice deer on that farm, we just don't have the videos or picture to prove it. I did see one last Sunday when I check the my camera that looked to be a real nice eight, so I'm gonna see if I can track him down. I'm gonna move my camera some for the next month, then come the middle of September, I'm gonna pull it and try to help Jesse hone in on Jr.

It's gonna be an enjoyable year, that is for sure. I'm looking forward to doing some videoing this fall. Hopefully I can get that ATV sold and purchase the camera I want to buy. We will see!

Ya need to get a preacher man to lay hands on that video cam... Sucker got the evil in it.