Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

other hobbies, interests?

Derek j

Knox Co.
here are some of my projects:

I have a ton more, but cant seem to find them. Maybe later!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good looking work DJ!!!

I live an outdoors lifestyle and my hobbies are indicative of that. Hanging stands, habitat improvement, food plots, scouting, trail cams, shed hunting are all hobbies of mine that keep me pretty busy. In addition to hunting deer, coyotes, waterfowl, turkey, squirrels, and even a rabbit or two, I do have a few things I enjoy outside of those pursuits...

I golf anywhere from 15-25 full rounds a year and truly enjoy it as much as anything I do. When I stopped getting frustrated with my play, I started getting better and enjoying it more. I shot a +2 (72) round this year and that is an achievement I'll never forget. My goal this past summer was to shoot my first sub 80 round and that happened 4 times, so it was a great summer for my top hobby outside of hunting related stuff.

I am the current VP of the Mid-Ohio Valley Adult Baseball League where I also play and "manage" a team. This eats up a good bit of my time from April through August. Baseball was my first passion in life and it is still something I love to do. I've been a catcher since I was 8 and started playing 1st base when I was 17. I can play short and second when needed as well. We won the league championship last year in record fashion and that was one of the biggest thrills of my career.

My other big hobby is partying. Sounds funny, but we do it so much it has to be considered a hobby! I spend anywhere from 2-3 weekends a month partying with friends. In the winter, we will hit the bars or Flutemans Bar and Grill for pool and beer pong. In the summer, it will be marathon cornhole games. We have a good group of friends and we're all trying to live as much life as we can, while we can. Its a pretty damn good hobby!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I guess I should add that I spend 2 hours in the gym 3 days a week. Not so much a hobby as a necessity to avoid becoming a fat ass. But I do enjoy like a hobby...

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I used to play pool alot. I was in leagues 3 nights a week and shot any tournament within 50 miles. When I was layed off in the winter I used to make alot of money doing all the tournaments. Since I bought my own house in 2005 I haven't played hardly at all. I even posted my sticks on craigslist over the summer but everytime someone called I lied and said I sold them. Just didn't have the heart to get rid of them

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Lets see here.....I'm a parent, Go to the gym, then golf...We also have the cabin at the river, so we boat, swim, and fix whats broken alot during the summer.

Buckmaster

Portage
Hunting, fishing, grass mowing, food plotting, gardening, fire wood cutting, billiards, sausage making, wine making, beer drinking, soccer coach, Tball coach, volunteering, parenting, etc.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Hunting, fishing, reading, TOO
Couple years ago I took violin lessons for a year, never really caught on. Can play a little but I'll never be good.
Told my wife when I turned 50 I was gonna take up the bagpipes. She knew I was serious so she bought me a practice chanter and lessons for my birthday. Haven't started yet, but probably kick that off in Feb.

loose_is_fast

McClure
i hunt
mushroom hunt
i love to drive dirt track race cars, i race at Oakshade Raceway near Wauseon Oh. every sat
love to golf also
3d shoots
being outside other than watching the nascar race always

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have been thinking about this a lot. Outside of my kids, work, and family activities, I can honestly say the majority of all free time revolves around deer. Sure, I enjoy cutting some firewood too, but mostly all deer. If not running cameras, putting in food plots, hunting, hanging stands, etc, then i am on the road with my binoculars or camcorder scouting. Oh, and shed hunting. Generally too busy to do much of anything in the spring, but shed hunting or coyote hunting eats up Feb-April. When the family and I get away we are usually camping, hiking, fishing, swimming, or doing something outdoors.

I work outside, I play outside. Can't believe I am not sitting outside using the laptop right now to type on TOO! lmao

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
A few years back once the slat was washed off the roads I was on two wheels cruising the roads on my sportster. Averaged anywhere between 3-6 thousand miles a year on the scooter. Had to sell a couple springs ago and miss it dearly. I will have another one some day in the future. Probably once the kids are gone, which should be in the 5-7 year range. I know it is fishing but have really taken a liking to fly fishing, and tying flies. Other than that work really consumes most of my time over the past 2 years and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Huckleberry Finn

I caught 2 fish this summer...and then never caught another, does that count? (Or just an endorsement for Redcloud's Fishing Services, just don't wear crocs). I liked gardening, but haven't kept my own in a few summers. I suppose farming, but I don't live on a farm. Can't be hunting, but I shot my bow 2-3 times a week this summer and loved that. I just stepped away from a publication that consumed a lot of my life, or else I'd say writing. Hunting really is a passion, and it's suppose to be other than hunting... I had a one member fan club / pen pal, but he stopped writing to me. I'd say politics, but my views tick people off and I could care less to follow closely. I like to read but only finish a few books a year.

I guess I don't have a hobby...

Kaiser878

ohio
As of now I eat, sleep and breathe deer. In the summer I shoot a lot of 3-D shoots.. Sunday starts the 3-D season for me, the Indoor worlds are sunday at the IX center.

I used to be consumed with my Motocross career. Once I turned Pro my career spiraled downward quickly. My first big purse race I had a nasty crash and ended up with plates and to many screws to count in my arm. After chasing that dream for almost 2 years while trying to work full time I realized that MX was gonna have to be a hobby and a past time...It consumed the vast majority of my life, and was a painful thing to walk away from fulltime. Now I ride as a past time and a way to burn off my frustration. I teach a few Motocross schools in the summer for kids and that brings me as much enjoyment as winning when I was racing. THis past summer I taught about 56 kids why you sohuldnt try to make jumps out of humps of dirt that were not intended to be jumped. I ended up getting knocked out and breaking every accessory on my bike.....I think they learned a lot from my misfortune. haha I was just happy to walk away from it on my own...and not get a meat waggon ride out of it.

I dabble in golf....I fish a bit...I lvoe to hunt mushrooms..and a do a little shed hunting, mostly unsuccessfully..

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
If I'm not hunting or fishing I'm catching flack for not doing enough projects around the house! WTH!lol

I enjoy spending time with the family of course but my other hobbies are shed hunting,morel hunting,billiards,shark teeth hunting(when we head to the beach), volleyball,shooting my bow(hoping to hit a few 3D's this year), and camping. I love to also toss back some beers with friends and talk deer.lol