Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Packing for my fishing trip

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
hahahaha Grayling skanks! Sums them up pretty well. Always amazed me the guys that would go chase them. Seems a lot of the guys were married, yet couldn't help but chase the skanks. Two weeks without your wife and you are willing to chase THAT? Can't remember ever seeing one that was "cute".

Dan- I wish you a safe and relaxing trip! May the fish find your lure, the beer flow like a waterfall, and the stress melt like a glacier!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
hahahaha Grayling skanks! Sums them up pretty well. Always amazed me the guys that would go chase them. Seems a lot of the guys were married, yet couldn't help but chase the skanks. Two weeks without your wife and you are willing to chase THAT? Can't remember ever seeing one that was "cute".

Dan- I wish you a safe and relaxing trip! May the fish find your lure, the beer flow like a waterfall, and the stress melt like a glacier!

That's better than an Irish blessing!

Yep... anti monkey butt powder is a must

Have fun up there Dan!! Can't wait for the pics & stories when you get back.
Not the biggest GoldBond fan, but reluctantly admit the stuff is good. Guess I should heed your's and Milo's advice.

Since you packed the Fry Daddy how about a bag of potatos? I foresee fish and chips in your future.
Oh yeah, taters is happenin...... we do the food "group camp", and a couple of guys bring big fryers...but I'm takin the FD for one-off's and snackin when the big one's not fired up.

Life is gonna be good

And i WILL own some Panther Martins within the next few days

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
You inspired me to organize my fishin stuff....ugh. It was a mess!

yEAH, Me too - I was really into fishing then I started deer hunting and lost my mind.....trying to find balance now...I won't let it go that long again. Will make sure the yearly trip happens.
And I'm gonna shell out the $$$ to get one of my motors up and running reliably.
Got two old Johnsons....a 54 10HP and a '59 5.5HP that run on the old pressurized gas tank - quite the antique -
Maybe sometime I'll put a picture of my Johnson up here

There's a lot to be said for bein' on a lake in the morning in a little 14ft aluminum boat, the humm of the trolling motor, the water gently lapping against the sides of the boat....DANG are we there yet?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Great to hear you will be around Munuscong Bay, I am assuming you have a boat then? We ice fished there all the time back in the school days for walleye, pike, muskie, perch, etc..

Not takin' my boat, other guys on the trip are bringin theirs...
Might just rent my own to get a little Dan time

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Well, vacation is over and I gotta tell ya, the fishing was really really tough, for everybody in camp. Worst fishing year we've had, ever. I caught 4 fish all week. 4. And not a single keeper.

Best fish I caught was a 12" bass. Trolling, caught him on...you guessed it...my brand new Panther Martin spinner :smiley_coolpeace: Last morning out I caught a pike who, no matter how I stretched him, was only 23.75" long (the limit was 24"), so he went back in.

The two guys with us who'd been to this place before said it was the worst they'd ever seen. Locals said we were about 2 weeks early for the good fishing. Oh well, on the bright side, the cabins were a good value, the food was great, the guys all had a great time, and it was better than working.

It was weird - out of the river/shipping channel in the bay/lake area, the water was super shallow...it sucks when you're 400 yds from shore and the water is 2-3 ft deep. and it was always windy, lots of waves and whitecaps, just really weird when you're not used to "big water" like that.

Nice morning picture from the reeds..

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
One of the guys from our group, on the dock, freighter in the channel behind him

Freighter at dawn, waited till the tower passed in front of the sun to snap the pic...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sorry to hear the fishing was slow, Dan. Looks like a really nice place to find a fish though... I'm heading up on the 14th so hopefully things will pick up a bit by then. Glad you made it home safely!