Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Panhandling

Stressless

Keene, OH
For this ebike setup:

Reel: Shamano Stradic 5000's with 17# mono. When I use them offshore in the yak I swap the spools for 40# braid with 12' of 50# floro topshot.

Rod: local "Half Hitch Bait and Tackle" made rod, solid fiberglass bank, 7' med heavy. They have a nice soft tip for playing 20# king mackerel and 30# Blackfin tuna with a butt that's let you put 20+#'s of ass into it when needed.

When a take a beach cart I have 4 x 10' ugly sticks - traditional surf fishing poles to get out past the 2nd sandbar, sandflea rake etc...

Stressless

Keene, OH
FWIW - Oil from the Deepwater Horizon hit the beaches the day I landed at Pensacola Airport returning from my third deployment to Afghanistan - that really upset me. I vowed to do something positive and well, I became the "Artificial Reef Coordinator" for our county. Submitted a proposal and it got accepted into the federal NRDA process - long stroy short one mile off the beach I got a $1.3M, 1/2mile wide 2 mile long reef approved, planned and deployed. took 2010 - until the last reef was deployed on 4 Feb 2019.

That tale is here - https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/threads/navarre-formation-update-4-sr-27.908842/#post-7846942

Deployment Dates:
August 13, 2018 - 20 ledge and disk and 39 small tetrahedron units
September 8, 2018 - 12 large tetrahedron units
September 21, 2018 - 10 large tetrahedron and 6 ledge and disk units
October 5, 2018 - 30 ledge and disk units
October 30, 2018 - 20 ledge and disk and 24 small tetrahedron units
November 19, 2018 - 12 ledge and disk and 60 small tetrahedron units
December 5, 2018 - 16 ledge and disk and 42 small tetrahedron units
December 17, 2018 - 19 ledge and disk and 48 small tetrahedron units
January 9, 2019 - 20 ledge and disk and 30 small tetrahedron units
January 30, 2019 - 18 ledge and disk and 33 small tetrahedron units
February 4, 2019 - 18 ledge and disk and 33 small tetrahedron units

It's great for everybody/everything. The 1st GOAT kayak fishing tourny launch to fish that reef... Spring 2020.
1649771133487.png

This is just a quick review of the stages from Whiteboard to last reef being deployed.

Part of my Panhandling... :D

Last edited:

Stressless

Keene, OH
One of the many ways my cohort, Alex Fogg, of the next county (Okalossa) over gets artificial reefs deployed... No kidding this was worked with AFRL, Eglin Range and the Marine division he runs.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoetsTalon

Stressless

Keene, OH
Well, J you'll like this as well, another cohort Robert Turpin of Escambia County, neighboring county to the East runs their Artificial Reef program and got the first aircraft carrier deployed as an Artificial Reef. 19 miles due South of Beach I fish. I've spearfished it twice.

Last edited:

Stressless

Keene, OH
PT for my upper back is 30-45m of neutral gravity, salt water is denser than a human body w/o bones so I took this tract and exercise... so instead of Back Pain thread I'm putting this here - one of the areas I got permitted back in 2012-13 was a expansion of the 30 snorkeling reefs for our community. From 30 to 90 - https://navarrebeachmarinesanctuary.org/ Both Escambia and Okaloosa counties have them as well - one more good reason to visit the "Redneck Riviera".

They also call it the 'Emerald Coast' this vid is a cheat sheet for why they call it that...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
PT for my upper back is 30-45m of neutral gravity, salt water is denser than a human body w/o bones so I took this tract and exercise... so instead of Back Pain thread I'm putting this here - one of the areas I got permitted back in 2012-13 was a expansion of the 30 snorkeling reefs for our community. From 30 to 90 - https://navarrebeachmarinesanctuary.org/ Both Escambia and Okaloosa counties have them as well - one more good reason to visit the "Redneck Riviera".

They also call it the 'Emerald Coast' this vid is a cheat sheet for why they call it that...

Good stuff man. I'm surprised there wasn't a single lionfish on them.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
They are hunted with vigor down here... and they really don't show up < 80' in depth or so for whatever reason. Alex's lionfish tourny the next county to the East....

My neighbor and his crew won the Emerald Coast Open this year with 1,623 lionfish in Destin-FWB. I want to say it was 4 guys in 3 days. That's some savage spearing right there.

Stressless

Keene, OH
That is freakin' Awesome - Lionfish meat is really good!! - Alex throws one hellofa party and that tourny pays really well. He's the Coastal Resource Manager for Okaloosa county (Destin/SandDestin/FWB). For offfshore he got the first permanent FAD's put in the Gulf in 1600'-1800' of water - from Mahi at the surface to Swordfish at 1500'.... https://www.getthecoast.com/okaloosa-fish-aggregating-device-buoys-deployed/

Last edited:

Stressless

Keene, OH
Well, I'm about 60% on the back recovery, took my time this morning, got out for the first time snapper fishing on the last day of snapper season. Pulled in a couple Reds and Mangrove ( Black) for the pot and don't feel too bad back wise. Felt good to be with the ocean again.

Anyone that kayak fishes, if I don't degrade in health I'll be happy to put you on a spot if you make it down this way.

20220731_103241.jpg