Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pellet Grills

Between now and spring I intend to get a new grill. I've kicked around the idea of the gas/smoker combination grills, gas grill and separate smoker grill and now have been looking a bit at the new pellet grills. Do any of you have any experience with them? Wondering what kind of maintenance they are and if they work as well as many seem to say.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Buddy of mine has one. I have enjoyed several meals off of it. He likes it. Maintenance has not been much of an issue. He has cleaned the hopper out a couple times but other than that nothing else. After eating several meals that were smoked using it I can tell you this. You do not get as much of the smoke flavor with it as you do using a wood smoker. Other than that it tasted great. Everything has been tasty, juicy, and tender.

Reactions: Stressless

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Traegers used to be my recommendation but they are all made on China now. Not that I am against all stuff coming from them but they have dropped in quality.

I am also not a fan of pellet smokers in general but it is hard to beat the convenience. And they surely are a step up from gas.

I have three friends with the Pit Boss pellets and they love them.

Green Mountain and RecTec are hard to beat.

If I am recommending a do it all unit it is the new egg style (Acorn) cookers. Smoke, grill, pizzas...they do it all.

I stopped in at a local store that carries the Traeger and Green Mountain pellet grills. Really liked the Green Mountain ones. Also been getting emails on the Camp Chef brand grills that have decent prices. Hope to make a final decision in the next month or so. The acorn types and big green egg's seem intimidating to me LOL. The ease of the pellet feeder is what has drawn me to the pellet grills, the acorn/egg one's just seem like a lot of work for such a small grill for the $$. The salesman at the store talked highly about them though and recommended them over all grills. Not sure if it's worth looking into more??

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I know a guy that has the egg and loves it.

Me personally, I love my Weber Kettle. Added the Vortex and it's as versatile as anything out there.

I'll stick with charcoal, that sounds too high class for me

Some of the prices on them are so friggin high I am in the same boat. I like the speed at what I can grill with propane but I absolutely want a way to smoke food as well. I guess buying charcoal isn't much different than me buying pellets either. That's why originally I had thought of getting one of those dual grills, one side for propane and the other side for charcoal/wood. Hmmmm

Health questions?
1. does the pellet grill use the same wood heating stove pellets
2. if so are heating stove pellets made with some type of glue?
3. if made with glue what are the health risk?

Everything I've read is they're made 100% wood, sawdust that is put under high pressure and heat to form the pellets. The only additive may be vegetable oils to lubricate the tubes they are pressed through. Some of the searching I've done have some people saying it is actually healthier than cooking over charcoal and gas.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Some of the prices on them are so friggin high I am in the same boat. I like the speed at what I can grill with propane but I absolutely want a way to smoke food as well. I guess buying charcoal isn't much different than me buying pellets either. That's why originally I had thought of getting one of those dual grills, one side for propane and the other side for charcoal/wood. Hmmmm
We have a 1/2 propane 1/2 charcoal grill, I think I've only used the propane side a couple times.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
A few months ago, my dad offered to contribute towards a Traeger if I'd agree to cook a few big family meals on it each summer. I have an 18" Weber Smokey Mountain smoker to part with, as well as 2 decent propane grills. So I feel like I can stomach a Traeger as my one and only smoking/grilling option. Dug this old thread up to get current feedback on pellet grills and whether getting one and doing away with all my other methods is worth the extra $. Not married to a Traeger either, but they do seem to have gotten it right.

Reactions: 5Cent and Big_Holla

Buckmaster

Portage
I currently use gas with bark chips or old school charcoal on occasion when I have extra time. My FIL got rid of his gas in favor of a pellet. My wife likes it better based on flavor but I’m unaware of pellet cost vs longevity as yet.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I bought a pit boss about a year and a half go. I love it. I know it's not the same as smoking in a true wood smoker but it works for me.

I have smoked wings, brisket, pork, deer ham, ribs and all have been good.

Grill some burgers, dogs, and brats and the taste like you cooked them over a campfire.

Throw a pizza on and it is great as well. Very versatile. And it is set the temp and no babysitting.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A few months ago, my dad offered to contribute towards a Traeger if I'd agree to cook a few big family meals on it each summer. I have an 18" Weber Smokey Mountain smoker to part with, as well as 2 decent propane grills. So I feel like I can stomach a Traeger as my one and only smoking/grilling option. Dug this old thread up to get current feedback on pellet grills and whether getting one and doing away with all my other methods is worth the extra $. Not married to a Traeger either, but they do seem to have gotten it right.
When we finally settle into our next home, I will own a Traeger. No question. Last summer when I stopped at whitefeather meats in Creston, OH, I got a “tour” of the Traegers as they’re a dealer. The butcher shop is owned by the Bearded Butcher brand guys. Super great guys. Anyway, I was blown away by the technology. I made up my mind that day that I would own one some day. Hopefully sooner rather than later.