Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pellet Rifles.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've been a pump up $35 pellet rifle guy since childhood. I finally decided to move up and buy a big boy pellet rifle. I have what appears to be a constant need to manage the squirrel and raccoon population around the house. I went and Purchased a Gamo Wildcat Whisper yesterday that won't see two sunrises at my house. Complete junk. Like any of them you might as well not take the scope out of the box but I gave it a shot. Adjustments were funky and hopped all over, no consistency, get the elevation right change windage one click and elevation would jump 2-3 inches. Junk. So I put a $250 rimfire scope on it that I had in the safe.

The rifle itself. Also junk. I sent 4 different brands of pellets through it and the best it could achieve wpuld be 6-8 inch MOA. Jumped all over the place. This was the best group it could manage at 30 yards. I can shoot better than that with a compound bow. 🤣 What good is a pellet rifle that only has a 50/50 chance of actually hitting a squirrel at 30 yards. 🤣 Junk, back to wence she came.

So what brand rifles have you guys found good accuracy out of?

View attachment 200253View attachment 200254
Joe, I’m laughing not atcha but with ya on your honest and accurate(unlike rifle) assessment of that rifle. Dude, I have that exact same shit shooting rifle but just kept it cuz I used my rewards money getting it and nice supply of ammo for free after buying a gun safe at TSC.
I still managed killing many squirrels mostly with head shots or neck/shoulder area. The most lethal range for me is 5ft to 22 yards. It seemed 18 was almost always money.
Im glad it’s not just me. I tried everything like you to get “any”/some consistency with that thing but it was all over the place just like you. Anywho, it kept the dang thing but it’s served me well enough to stack em up in the freezer and get the numbers down to a much more tolerated amount. 😎👍🏻

Killed two this morning from my spare bathroom window at 4 yards and 13 yards.
IMG_4723.jpeg

IMG_4724.jpeg

Two females for a change! Almost always males. I put two other males in freezer last week. Haha

Smawgunner2

Athens County
I bought a 350 dollar Benjamin that was a break down cocker. .22, can’t recall FPS. Fairly accurate. I shot a coon with it at 15 feet, twice in the head and it just made a growl then scurried under my shed. Shot another in the chest, screamed and ran off. 2 years later some seal in it failed and I couldn’t find anyone to fix it. POS in my mind. I still have my late fathers pump Benjamin and it’s a friggin beast.

Reactions: finelyshedded

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason has a Benjamin Maurauder and a Discovery. Neither are cheap. The Discovery is way cheaper than the Maurauder, and shoots exceptional. It’s much lighter and fits the hand better. The Maurauder is too much gun honestly. I’d consider the Discovery if I were you. They shoot far better than most spring guns and do not destroy scopes.

Reactions: finelyshedded