Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Perspective shooters 2010-2011

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well,I was really hoping the trail camera I moved was going to verify what I was thinking. Then the little bastard stole it! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I feel better now.

I am pretty sure I have an idea what is going on. Might have to wait for the corn to come off though. Once this happens, I am in. Otherwise, opening week of bow season is a bit of a long shot, but not totally out of the question. If the corn was off, I would know exactly where they would be.
Woods to the north. Woods to the south. Connected by a creek which has about 50 yards of tree/cover on either side. East side of the creek is corn to the road (approx 1/2 mile). West side of creek is corn/beens to the road also approx 1/2 mile. This narrow funnel is my ticket but the corn is killing me. I am only getting spuratic pics. I am thinking the biggest of the bucks I have pictures of are skirting the camera. Of course, I won't know now until the season. One camera stolen, one camera in my truck as of this afternoon.

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
Wouldn't mind seeing this guy while in the stand. He's young and has super potential...maybe I don't want to be tempted by him :confused:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Matt- Hilarious man! Cult classic there!

Ray- I wasn't upset at all. I am self employed, so just screwing around with my comments. 141.5 was a lot of hours to fill a couple antlerless tags though. Ugh. I had crazy early season sign last year and it never materialized.

Deerjunkie- Very nice! Think you can wait until next year for him?

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
Matt- Hilarious man! Cult classic there!

Ray- I wasn't upset at all. I am self employed, so just screwing around with my comments. 141.5 was a lot of hours to fill a couple antlerless tags though. Ugh. I had crazy early season sign last year and it never materialized.

Deerjunkie- Very nice! Think you can wait until next year for him?

Hmmm...good question. I want to say yes, but you know how that goes when they are standing perfectly broadside and have no clue your there.

deerburger

*Supporting Member*
Hicks, that wide 11 is a great looking deer. Way to go. I remember your stories of the hours in the stand last year with the lady walking her dog walking through the woods. Looks like this year is shaping up with more potential already. I'm glad to hear it.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I don't know how you guys do it. I would be all over any one of these deer. I guess I am just not used to seeing these size bucks on a regular basis. I like to put meat in the freezer, but it's been venisonless for 3years now, please do not tell me you passed these guys up, especially if they are not on your property! I will never forget the look on Jesse's face when he saw the picture of Deuce in the gas station. It's just not worth it in my eyes. Be happy you get to hunt these guys.....and yes, the Big Lebowski is one of the greates flix's ever! Sue City Saparillo....ya that's a good one.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If I had a couple thousand acres all to myself, I'd let 'em walk. I know that as fact only because last year I hunted a place like that. I never thought I'd let 130" deer walk, but I did. Then again, I had never seen so many deer, with no other hunters intruding. It isn't that way in my "real" world...I'd shoot those bucks dead around home!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
deerburger

Hicks, that wide 11 is a great looking deer. Way to go. I remember your stories of the hours in the stand last year with the lady walking her dog walking through the woods. Looks like this year is shaping up with more potential already. I'm glad to hear it.

Thanks for remembering my agonizing season last year. Yes, it was quite frustrating. I happened upon a couple properties this year which are good size and less pressure. I am feeling very fortunate right now. Last year was so bad for pressure it was tough to fill doe tags. Very bad. Total turn around, so I hope I can git'r'dun!

5Cent

I don't know how you guys do it. I would be all over any one of these deer. I guess I am just not used to seeing these size bucks on a regular basis

5cent- I am happy to fill the freezer. I am also content letting them walk. If someone else shoots it or he gets hit by a car then I screwed up. Never know how big they can get if you shoot them young. I don't need a huge buck for my ego, I can eat tag soup and be fine. But I am not going to lie to you either, I want a huge buck just like everyone! The property I worked all day today on the tractor is my buddy's place and it is just the two of us hunting. He just bought it. Knowing this, it will be easier to let some of them walk. Easy knowing you are an acting land agent and can keep the riff raff off with the same authority that he can. Hopefully this helps us grow the potential on his new property.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
If I had a couple thousand acres all to myself, I'd let 'em walk. I know that as fact only because last year I hunted a place like that. I never thought I'd let 130" deer walk, but I did. Then again, I had never seen so many deer, with no other hunters intruding. It isn't that way in my "real" world...I'd shoot those bucks dead around home!

Brock, completely understood. I am not aware of your good fortune, would love to hear about it sometime. PM me, I would love to support Scent Smoker on my trip to MO. I am due to order another, as the leather is finally wearing out, got quite a few years use out of it. Need to dig up the receipt and check order date. I opened cabinet today and got my wonder blast of hickory smoke!