Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Phil's 2015 Season

JMcDowell

I went out to set some mice I trapped in my new house "free," and while I was out I found myself in a familiar position of realizing I had not found ample opportunity to shed hunt. On my return trip back to the house, what did I find right by the wooden bridge on my property but one antler with four points. I officially have "the fever" and I want to get out as much as possible to look for the other side and/or any other dropped antlers. I know there were two nice bucks on the property and now I am going out of my mind trying to find anything. This was the first shed I have ever found and it felt so great. My soon to be four year old son saw the antler and he wants to go look for sheds too. Still in the process of completely moving into the house and finding time to get out is scarce.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hit it today for just shy of 2 hours. Took the quad and covered as much ground as possible along field edges. Covered the known bedding areas on foot. Not a shed to be found. Once again disappointed. Going to attempt to get out tomorrow after church. Unfortunately, I need to do some work on the house first. Found a leak around one of our dormers. Need to pull the siding off, repair the flashing which appears to be the problem, re-caulk and see how much daylight is left to shed hunt.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I didn't find any today either, Phil. It sucks.

It is disappointing but it is better than not getting out at all. In my parts, the deer were yarded up pretty good this winter. They seem to be breaking up again, but they don't seem like they are back in their normal summer home ranges yet. Not finding sheds isn't indicative of having bucks or not.. At least in my area, I don't feel this is the case. Last year during the rut I had pics of more bucks during the rut than I ever fathomed were in the surrounding 10 mile radius. Sadly, this means the does are hurting locally and the bucks were seeking hard. Not sure where they all dropped their antlers. If it was in the same area while they were yarded up, someone is going to find the best collection ever this spring.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
:smiley_chinrub:
It is disappointing but it is better than not getting out at all. In my parts, the deer were yarded up pretty good this winter. They seem to be breaking up again, but they don't seem like they are back in their normal summer home ranges yet. Not finding sheds isn't indicative of having bucks or not.. At least in my area, I don't feel this is the case. Last year during the rut I had pics of more bucks during the rut than I ever fathomed were in the surrounding 10 mile radius. Sadly, this means the does are hurting locally and the bucks were seeking hard. Not sure where they all dropped their antlers. If it was in the same area while they were yarded up, someone is going to find the best collection ever this spring.
Agreed

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hour and 20min on first property. It is only around 10-15acres but was logged a few years ago. Thick as all get out. Found one freshy. Found one which was laying at least a year. Similar genetics. Don't think it was same deer. Every tree suitable to hang a stand had one hanging it seemed. Sadly I would say the majority are sliding in off neighboring properties. They were right on the line or just over. No way I would trample thru prime beddding to hunt the far field edge if I had permission here. I considered asking permission to hunt. I know he would grant it. I don't want to fight the trespassers though. Permission to cut tree tops and shed hunt is good enough for me.

uploadfromtaptalk1427657224949.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427657242886.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427657258250.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427657273550.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Put a ton of miles on again today. Probably 5-7 miles. Found one. Fresh from this year. Must have stepped over it while there was still snow on the ground. Been chewed on a bit as well. Had Geoffrey with me part of the time. He is holding it up for size reference.uploadfromtaptalk1428185908076.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428185971137.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428186040552.jpg