Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Phil's journal 2020

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not sure what to expect this year. Covid, kid going to college, racing becoming a bigger priority. . .I haven't done much yet. Swapped 5 camera cards today. Well, four. I forgot to put a card in one. Another dislodged the batteries when I put it in the security box and resulted in zero pics. Third camera stopped working after a week and a half. Fourth cam was fine. Fifth camera was a buddy's. Short version: Couple so so deer. A three year old with funky rack. A two, possibly three, year old that should do 120-130" after he sheds velvet. Beautiful deer. Great frame. Just not one I'd shoot this year. No deer on my personal property as usual. Neighbor's property I haven't hung a camera yet. Fourth property I have no swapped a card yet. Oh well. Such is life in the world of deer hunting. I'll be patient. Big deer will show up sooner or later.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Talked to my local WO today. He said there are around 80 known EHD deaths in my township I'm the last 3 weeks. Not going to be a fun year.

Attachments

• IMG_20200830_144527.jpg
    IMG_20200830_144527.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 363

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Good luck and enjoy the season Phil, no matter what it throws at ya. As I age, I seriously gain more and more appreciation for the time in the woods. The world is pulling in all directions, but thats our sacred time. Given your old as shit compared to me, you should be overflowing with appreciation 😁

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yup, hit the tank plant hard, plus the surrounding parks, creeks.

Yup. Think I heard a dozen in the tank plant according to our local WO. They do the veterans hunt around the corner in the fields/woods owned by Husky Refinery as well. That area was hit. As the crow flies all my stuff is within 5 miles. Most probably within 3 miles. I'd say every property I hunt has been affected.

Good luck and enjoy the season Phil, no matter what it throws at ya. As I age, I seriously gain more and more appreciation for the time in the woods. The world is pulling in all directions, but thats our sacred time. Given your old as shit compared to me, you should be overflowing with appreciation 😁
@5Cent thanks. I appreciate your . . . respect? :) You can't be that far behind me. 6-8 years maybe? I'm sure you can smell 40 closing in on you by now. ;)

Natures way of finding the balance.
That is exactly what I told my friend/neighbor/land owner I hunt on. Well, that and I will likely still hunt. I will simply access the local herd as the season begins and as it unfolds. Then I will decide if I will kill anything. It is what it is. We used to be pretty much an area of minimal deer. The last 5-10yrs have been good for our local herd. It will bounce back. Maybe I'll do a little traveling this year to hunt. I dunno.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Pulled camera cards on a property today. Didn't wander around much. Didn't see or smell anymore dead deer. Text with WO today. He said we are up to 150 "confirmed." Who knows how many more? 3x or 4x or 5x that amount? I dunno. Camera cards show a reduced amount of deer without doubt. Still seeing "some" activity. No shooters. A beautiful symmetrical 8pt that will do 110-120". A goofy 8 PT with split brow 3yr old. Smaller bucks too. There is hope. I'm sure some big boys survived. Need to start shooting bow more. Need to finish seeding season. Need to finish racing season. Reassess and spend some time in a tree.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Haven't hit the woods. Been doing some road scouting. Pulled some cards yesterday. Getting ready for winter with snow contracts/equipment prep. Racing season is over for me. Putting a lot of time into "how" to go about this season. I AM seeing deer. Mostly small deer. This year's fawns. Maybe last year's fawns too. They seem to be grouped up when you find them. I either see zero deer or clusters of 6-8 does. Saw 10 one time. In these groups I see 1 or 2 mature does and the rest are small bodied deer. Does are clearly off limits. Bucks? Not seeing anything over 3 yet.

I am at a cross road. I've been fortunate in my hunting in recent years. I have been at a point where I really don't care if it is 110" or 200" as long as it is 4yrs old or more. BUT. . . I can normally count on putting a doe in the freezer every year. This year I think I may need to travel to hunt a doe or just pick out a bigger bodied buck regardless the antler size. I am seeing a couple 120-130" 2-3 year old bucks that fit the description. Hoping something else pops up. When the moment of truth happens and I have one in my sights? I don't know if I will shoot one or not. I just want to be sure to fill the freezer with venison. I realize doing so will take a "good" buck out of any chance of becoming a "Great" buck. I can live with this. Venison in the freezer is part of our lifestyle. Antlers are a bonus. As many deer as we have lost, I am feeling "okay" about what I am seeing. Down probably 50% but I think it will rebound within a year or two based on my visuals in scouting.

Here is a 3yr old 8pt with what looks like the start of a split brow. 120" I'd guess. In my opinion he has what it takes to be a 150" 8pt. Just needs a couple years of maturing. I have a feeling if he comes thru I will kill him, fill the freezer, and be thankful.

Attachments

• PICT0050.JPG
    PICT0050.JPG
    278 KB · Views: 179
  • PICT0068.JPG
    PICT0068.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 173
  • PICT0136.JPG
    PICT0136.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 175
  • PICT0149.JPG
    PICT0149.JPG