Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pinewood Derby - what's your secret?

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Things went as good as they could have! The girls ended up getting 1st and 2nd place overall out of the 21 cars entered in their class.
Here are a few pics from their heat races and the awards. All in all this is a fun event the girls have looked forward to over the past few year. The sad thing is the group is growing smaller and smaller every year with all the other activities kids can get involved with these days.

IMG_5499.jpg

IMG_5500.jpg

IMG_5504.jpg

IMG_5507.jpg

IMG_5511.jpg

A printout of their individual times (they add the best 3 of your 4 heat times to determine the winners) and the overall results.

IMG_5515.jpg

IMG_5514.jpg

IMG_9933.jpg

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Here is what I did for 'go-fast' stuff.

Of course you need to shoot for max allowed weight for your race. Everything I've read says to center the weight to the rear of the car, about 1 to 1.5 inches in front of the rear axle.

From there I got this assortment of sandpaper from an automotive store to polish the axles. I cut it into strips, started with the 1000 grit and worked my way up to the 2500 grit using my Dremel in a vise. They end up with a mirror shine.

IMG_5441.jpg

IMG_5443.jpg

IMG_5453.jpg

I then use 'Lemon Pledge' as my secret lubricant (fugg that messy graphite). A few days before the race I gave the axles a few shots of it, let it dry, and gently wiped any extra off. Then be careful not to get the oil from your fingers on them when you attach the axles.

IMG_5462.jpg

IMG_5461.jpg

I also sand a bit of the car away where the wheel will contact the body. Then hit the area with the buffer tool from the Dremel.

IMG_5476.jpg

And lastly it seems the cars get faster after a few runs down the track, so take a few practice runs if you can (3 or 4).

Didn't take too much effort and the kids still got to do the 'fun' parts.

Reactions: brock ratcliff

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Glad the girls took the top cars and you guys had a good time. Agree on the sad dwindling numbers anymore. Congrats on a great day of racing.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Thats awesome, dude. I remember when my nephew came up to me and asked me to build him one.... he came in third place_facebook_14886875027051.jpg