Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pistol grip stocks on a shotgun?

I'm considering the purchase of a camo pistol grip stock for my Mossberg 500 Turkey Special. This is my coyote shotgun and it has a 20" barrel, which handles very nice in close quarters. I think the pistol grip would be more ergonomic (feel better) and easier to handle...much like an AR. :smiley_bril:

Is anyone using a pistol grip stock on a shotgun?
If so, what do you hunt with that shotgun?

Your opinions and experiences with this type of stock, is appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I think COB had one on his 500 that is for sale he may be able to shed some light on the subject....

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Do you mean a true pistol grip, meaning just a handle for the buttstock, like what they used to call a riot gun??? It seems like Mossberg used to sell them with both the conventional and the pistol grip years ago....

Anyway I remember shooting one and it seemed tough to shoot to me. Hard to keep on target. Looked cool as hell but not something I would have much confidence in shooting.

I have a true pistol grip stock on both the 11/87 sluggun and the 11/87 turkey gun

It helps a lot when you are trying to line up for a shot

And is very quick when trying for a running shot like on a deer or yote

I found the pistol grip stock sucks when I tryed it for duck hunting , at least for me

Bigist problem was when I had to bird that was flying at me over head

I just couldn't bend my wrist enough

Any othe questions just give me a yell

John

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Not the same type of grip I was thinking of. That looks alot like what my buddy has on his deer gun, his is more like a big version of a thumbhole stock if that makes any sense. I liked the way that felt, one may be in my future:smiley_bril:

rrr

Not sure what John is talking about, I'm assuming like what bowhunter57 posted.

On an aside, thumbhole stocks are fun on like a Ruger 10/22 but I don't think I'd like Remington's sureshot stock too much.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
On another forum a member posted about getting a new Ohio Ithaca with a factory AR style stock.

My only thought is the Mossy top safety might be hard to reach with this type of stock.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I've considered getting one of these collapsible stocks for my Mossberg 500, but the positioning of the safety makes me thing it will be more of a pain in the ass than an improvement.

Thunderflight,
I would have to agree with you, but I have the safety off, if I'm by myself and already in a calling position. If I were calling with someone or on the move the safety has to be on all the time...it's just standard proceedure. :smiley_bril:

Perhaps a Benelli M-4 is in my future. :smiley_blink:
http://benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m4.php You can't have too many guns. :smiley_coolpeace: Plus, with the cycle rate, it would be fun trying to see how many times I could hit the coyote...before he hits the ground. :smiley_devil:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not sure what John is talking about, I'm assuming like what bowhunter57 posted.

On an aside, thumbhole stocks are fun on like a Ruger 10/22 but I don't think I'd like Remington's sureshot stock too much.

I thought the same thing at first too, Steve, but my buddy put a ShurShot stock on his 870 slug gun and it is frickin AMAZING! Hard to describe, but the gun feels great when shouldered and is much more rock solid.

I've been thinking of upgrading my 870 turkey gun with a pistol grip stock as well. Those Blackhawk collapsables are awesome, but damn are they expensive!