Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pocket Knives & Daily Carry Items

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I was a sophomore in high school when pocket knives got banned. We had some issues with the Confederate flag when I was in school. The few black student we had, took exception to it and like rednecks are apt to do, they went whole hog and decorated trucks and had a parade. Well, that lead to a confrontation, which lead to a knife being brandished and there ya have it, pocket knives and Dixie Outfitters shirts out at the same time.

Two buddies and a teacher used to hunt the land back behind the high school. I can remember them pulling out their shotguns and walking out past the football field to hunt. It was nothing to have shotgun shells in the cup holders and other items left in there after a weekend of hunting with dad. Always, always carried a pocket knife as you never knew when a teacher needed one to cut something.

Reactions: Sgt Fury and giles

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
I got in trouble in the 5th grade cuz i passed out a box of 22 shells to kids in my Lone Ranger gang - we hid them in voids in the brick wall and got them at recess and galloped around the school yard - principal nabed me and they got most of the shells - she drove me home that day and let my dad handle it - i was in school the next day but kinda hurt to sit - just a dumb ass - dang

Bowkills

Nw oh
Columbine changed everything. if we had shotguns or rifles visible they just made you take them home and drop them off and come back even in the years that followed.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not a pocket knife or really an EDC knife except on a hunting trip. This was a Christmas gift from the girls and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite knives. It's scary sharp and holds an edge really well. The handle is comfortable and maintains its grip even when bloody. I've been using it for basic cooking needs and I may snag a wood handled one strictly for kitchen duty. My only complaint is its a little touchy getting it back into the sheath correctly, but not a huge deal at the end of the day. I highly recommend this knife if you're in the market for a new butchering knife or even an everyday kitchen knife.

20220331_183857.jpg

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Not a pocket knife or really an EDC knife except on a hunting trip. This was a Christmas gift from the girls and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite knives. It's scary sharp and holds an edge really well. The handle is comfortable and maintains its grip even when bloody. I've been using it for basic cooking needs and I may snag a wood handled one strictly for kitchen duty. My only complaint is its a little touchy getting it back into the sheath correctly, but not a huge deal at the end of the day. I highly recommend this knife if you're in the market for a new butchering knife or even an everyday kitchen knife.

View attachment 150072
I have one, they are spendy but the best boning knife I've owned.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This knife embodies the old adage "you get what you pay for". My dad always applied this to boots. As a surveyor, he put the miles on,and comfortable, reliable boots were a must. Even when we were scraping by, he'd spend the $ on his boots. I've owned a host of cheap knives and some are good, some not so much. But all the "expensive" ones I've owned, I still own and use. That said, you can get some cheap, commodity knives on Amazon that are sharp as shit!