Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

POW! Went the gun

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
20211201_152106.jpg

20211201_154211.jpg

Something I didn't take notice last night, but there is a ton of fresh tree bark within his rack at the bases going all the way up to the beginning of his brow tines.

Then I took some 'Wildgame Trophy' tape to do a quick down and dirty measurement of him, using the instructions as my guide, and to my surprise, he's damn near close to or right at 140" gross of a deer, and I lied about his inside spread too, he's much closer to 22" than 21".

He's not my biggest buck by any stretch of the imagination, however he's much better than what I originally thought he would turn out to be.

I also don't believe there would be much of any kind of reductions for net score either because all his tines match very close as well.

Not a bad typical 8 I'd say, better than what I originally thought anyways.

Thought I'd share a bit more info as I'm preparing him for the euro mount and I'd like to preserve the bark in his rack. If anyone has any good pointers and/or suggestions on how to do that successfully, to insure that I won't lose any of it through best practices, then please chime in and let me know. I intend on covering the bases with some good plastic and some good tape before he goes into any boiling pot after I skin the head and stuff.

Appreciate it, thanks!

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Boy I thought for sure you would mount that deer, such a beautiful neck and coat. Dandy for sure though!! Congrats again Denny!

I have enough full mounts already and out of wall space in my shop pretty much. I still have his hide though and will be treating it so it last for years to come, much like the others I have done.

Only full mounts in my future will be the ones that totally exceed my expectations.

Thanks again Chuck!

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
View attachment 141387
View attachment 141388

Something I didn't take notice last night, but there is a ton of fresh tree bark within his rack at the bases going all the way up to the beginning of his brow tines.

Then I took some 'Wildgame Trophy' tape to do a quick down and dirty measurement of him, using the instructions as my guide, and to my surprise, he's damn near close to or right at 140" gross of a deer, and I lied about his inside spread too, he's much closer to 22" than 21".

He's not my biggest buck by any stretch of the imagination, however he's much better than what I originally thought he would turn out to be.

I also don't believe there would be much of any kind of reductions for net score either because all his tines match very close as well.

Not a bad typical 8 I'd say, better than what I originally thought anyways.

Thought I'd share a bit more info as I'm preparing him for the euro mount and I'd like to preserve the bark in his rack. If anyone has any good pointers and/or suggestions on how to do that successfully, to insure that I won't lose any of it through best practices, then please chime in and let me know. I intend on covering the bases with some good plastic and some good tape before he goes into any boiling pot after I skin the head and stuff.

Appreciate it, thanks!
Denny not to take your THUNDER away but I think your tape measurements are off some..just looking at it you are measuring way too low on the tines might wanna try it again if you have never measured one before. Nice buck just trying to guide you in the right direction on scoring.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Denny not to take your THUNDER away but I think your tape measurements are off some..just looking at it you are measuring way too low on the tines might wanna try it again if you have never measured one before. Nice buck just trying to guide you in the right direction on scoring.

Hey, I understand. I admit that I wasn't exactly sure where to begin that measurement for the brow tines. I'm no pro and honestly don't care to be, just tried to get a ballpark idea by using that tape. Even if he's a few inches shorter, I'm more than okay with that, thanks!

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Yea, it's definitely a good deer. I'd be interested in seeing him officially scored. Neat to see the differences in measures between people. I got one I would have swore was over 140 he came out at 137.

I'll give it another go, then. According to the instructions of the Wildgame Tape, it wasn't too clear as to where to begin the measurement for the brow tines, but I did everything else correctly I believe.

20211204_100059.jpg

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I hope it comes back 145 that would tell me I suck at scoring..lol
He's not in at the moment and his employees just informed that they no longer do deer anymore, just pets. I have no doubt though if the owner was here, he'd do the measurement on the deer for me.

His employee also informed about the issue of getting actual supplies for taxitermy due to national supply chain proplems.

Anyways, gonna try to get someone else to do it for me that's hopefully close by.

Too be continued....

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Okay, I'm headed out now to see an old friend of mine that did all my taxi work prior. Just got off the phone with him and he's at his shop right now in Carrol. I'll post the sheet once he's done.

It'll take me a good bit to get to him, but it's good that I go and see him because he has some other stuff of mine that I need to get from him.

It's a beautiful day for a nice drive too!

C-y'all shortly!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm in agreement with @Boarhead here and largely because I killed damn near the same deer in 2019. Only 19" wide, but longer brows than Roamer, similar 2s and 3s, with comparable mass. This deer grosses 128". Again, not to steal your THUNDER, sharing to help in understanding the scoring process. A 140" 8 point is a special animal and few get there without a "wow" factor in their tine and mass measurements. He's got the WOW with his spread, but that's just air and it doesn't add up like tine/beam length and mass. All that said, I hope you prove me wrong too. Just trying to help as someone who's scored a few handful of deer and has what I'd call a fair comparison of a buck 👍

1638635229133766877840852669331.jpg