Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Private Land Advice

Bigcountry40

You live in Massillon which is sort of suburban maybe consider trying get access on some fragmented strips of woods around suburbia that are over looked. I did this in Kent while college and found land to bow hunt

Reactions: CodyB

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
That approach has worked really, really well for me too. Landed three excellent properties by doing just that.

Okay, I have some more I'll share with you Cody.

if I get facetime with the owner, I'm 98% in for access from my experience. Sales experience goes a long way, but I digress.

If & when you do get that face time, be thorough. Speak plainly and to the point. Don't promise anything you can't deliver on.

Dress appropriately, not to over do it, attire should be always neat, teeth brushed and do not smell like beer & cigarette smoke. Simply be a working blue collar professional that has a family to feed. Farmers are busy people, so don't waste their time or disrupt them if they're in the middle of somethin.

My approach has usually been first thing in the morning, on either a Friday or Saturday with a good weather forecast for the entire weekend. Typically well before any day type headaches settle in for the owner of their usually daily grind. People tend to be more open minded, laid back, easy goin during late week, and if you do offer any kind of service of work in trade, be prepared to get right on it immediately, like that day or over that very weekend. Shows promptness, attitude, means business, dedicated and thorough. Promise made, promise kept. Done deal!

Anyhow Cody, you have several excellent suggestions before you. If you're a confidante person and you can display that in such a way of being direct, stern, to the point, with a touch of professionalism in a respectful manner, and always being honest, NEVER COCKY, while looking them in the eye, then I don't think you'll have any problems whatsoever.

Again, always respect the owner's wishes, adhere to their directions or demands, which means listen very carefully to them, and try to go above and beyond their expectations with regards to taking care of their property. That will go a long ways for ya, trust me, especially if you want sole hunting privileges' to that property.

It can be quite competitive trying to lock in a property to hunt, especially if the habitat is great, which usually leads to quality and/or quantity of deer.

If or when you do get in, try to begin some sort of quality management program of some sort, so you can hunt the place potentially forever.

Good luck to you @CodyB ! Looks like you're well on your way!

More thoughts....

If, or when you get to the point where you have good rapport with a landowner, you will find that they are your best source for intel about any of the game you wish to hunt. I have found in many cases, about half that I have worked with, wanted whatever wild animal causing any damage or destruction to their property, the landowner tends to want them dealt with in some fashion or another. Some even wanted them completely gone, including many times, deer. I have helped those owners in trying to fulfil their wishes, up to and including getting a DNR wildlife biologist out to meet with them to provide whatever recommendations or potential solutions.

Again, as you get to know the owner, I found out rather quickly, some either can't, or won't hunt, but yet love what a harvested animal has to offer. I have offered to hunt for them and provided either portions, or turnover the entire harvest to them. I have a couple of owners that I do that for each year.

What I have found, by having a 'give and take' mindset when approaching a landowner for land access, being upfront and honest has always seemed to workout rather best for me.

I have two properties currently that I help the owners manage in some fashion or another, whether it be wildlife, timber, lawncare or whatever. I have known these people for over 15 years now. They are like extended family to me, so I most definitely try my best to take care of them whenever they need any help. In both those cases, the owner is in their latest part of their lives, and I can tell you that I truly care about them and their family.

So, I guess the moral of all this, if your serious about hunting, wildlife, and private land access. Be prepared to take the entire experience to the next level, otherwise I would suggest you either buy your own land, or just lease a property from someone.

There, I think I about covered it all for you Cody. Again, good luck to you!

Last edited:
Reactions: CodyB

CodyB

Massillon OH
If you killed that buck in your avatar on public land, I would stick to that spot!
Yes sir I sure did. that story is kind of funny it was on some public land down in southern Ohio during gun season. I went out for lunch to meet my dad to bullshit and actually damn near ran head on into that guy walking back into my spot. I was walking and heard one running and I stopped and waited and listened and it got closer until I finally saw him actually stopped him about 20 yards in front of me because he was going to run my ass over and then let the hammer go. I didn't realize the true rack he had until I got up on him. That was a hell of a day. It took my nephew and I about 5.5 hours to drag him out. Problem now is this place I go there is a lot of pressure and eventually I would like to take my daughter out with me to experience it to see if she is going to take to it but I want her to be as safe as possible. I know some people get trigger happy during gun season so a little nervous and just want her to be safe.

CodyB

Massillon OH
More thoughts....

If, or when you get to the point where you have good rapport with a landowner, you will find that they are your best source for intel about any of the game you wish to hunt. I have found in many cases, about half that I have worked with, wanted whatever wild animal causing any damage or destruction to their property, the landowner tends to want them dealt with in some fashion or another. Some even wanted them completely gone, including many times, deer. I have helped those owners in trying to fulfil their wishes, up to and including getting a DNR wildlife biologist out to meet with them to provide whatever recommendations or potential solutions.

Again, as you get to know the owner, I found out rather quickly, some either can't, or won't hunt, but yet love what a harvested animal has to offer. I have offered to hunt for them and provided either portions, or turnover the entire harvest to them. I have a couple of owners that I do that for each year.

What I have found, by having a 'give and take' mindset when approaching a landowner for land access, being upfront and honest as always seemed to workout rather best for me.

I have two properties currently that I help the owners manage in some fashion or another, whether it be wildlife, timber, lawncare or whatever. I have known these people for over 15 years now. They are like extended family to me, so I most definitely try my best to take care of them whenever they need any help. In both those cases, the owner is in their latest part of their lives, and I can tell you that I truly care about them and their family.

So, I guess the moral of all this, if your serious about hunting, wildlife, and private land access. Be prepared to take the entire experience to the next level, otherwise I would suggest you either buy your own land, or just lease a property from someone.

There, I think I about covered it all for you Cody. Again, good luck to you!
Extremely helpful @Wildlife I appreciate it very much

Reactions: Wildlife