Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Processing equipment...

Buckmaster

Portage
I'm not a vacuum seal guy, not yet anyways. My wife got me one for Xmas one year but I haven't used it yet.

The way I wrap my meat is take Reynolds plastic wrap (I bought a 5,000 foot spool at Sam's Club) on the first layer, then place in waxed freezer paper (picked up at Gander Mtn), tape with 1 inch 3M masking tape, then label and date with a Sharpie. I then take the wrapped meat and I place it in a double ply Freezer Zip Lock bag. I just finished up my 2009 deer meat recently so I know my system is good for 2 years.

Buckmaster

Portage
Where to buy things......

LEM here in Ohio sells new and remanufactured items. I bought my sausage stuffer through them. It was remanufactured.

I bought a bunch of stainless steel kitchen fixtures, tables, work benches, meat cutting bench, and sink at the local Giant Eagle going out of business auction.

I've also made purchases on Craigslist when I see resturant, meat markets, bars, and businesses going out of business. Here is one such example: http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ele/2604990880.html

I bought the initial start up of my sausage program from The Sausage Maker Inc. in Buffalo, NY.

Spices I pickup at: http://www.bulkfoods.com/

Sausage casings I pickup at my local meat processor. I typically buy natural hog casing by the hank. It's enough to last me 2 years. I just keep them salted down and refrigerated.

chetter74

Cheap winch and pulley for lifting deer up on the gambrel. (Trying to get your wife to tie a knot while you're lifting a deer up is not fun....)

Jerky Gun (for making jerky with ground meat)

You guys have covered pretty much everything else... Just need sharp knives, a sanitary space to work on, and some meat tubs.

I use an I- bolt in a ceiling truss and a come a long

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I always have a container nearby for bones and the unusables with a plastic bag in it.
A bowl of warm soapy water for cleanup
I like having a sawzaw for cutting through ribs and other bones such as the head

Matt

Norton, OH
Lemme see... I got one of those electric boat winches Wally world sells, I will get a pic up of it when I do my first one with it. If anyone ever goes to the D & T expo, check out the deer processing guy. Lots of good tips, and he just SMOKES through a deer...

I keep just a bowl of water and rags nearby and make sure to constantly clean off any hair or excess blood as I go. Keeps things neat and clean. Sam's Club has big plastic tubs that work GREAT for meat processing. I have two, one gets filled with scraps for the grinder, the other gets filled with all prime cuts as I go along. I think I am going to buy another one and pop holes in it, lay it inside and use it for the scrap, that way the blood drains out.

Sharp knife, sharp knife, sharp knife...

Lots of cold beer and a buddy or two.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Bringing this back to life as I am looking to get some stuff together on this front. Time to start doing my own deer. Plus with waterfowl, I'll need something to do with all the geese...