Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Random weather thread

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I live amongst a shit load of Hickory trees, mostly Shag and pignut and we’ve had an absorbent amount of very small not yet ripe nuts already hit the ground already. This started about 3-4 weeks ago. After even moderate winds they come falling all around. I’m afraid there won’t be any left come squirrel season. Definitely a lot of stress going on within our trees and crops that’s for sure! Wouldn’t surprise me if 70-80% of nuts are already down….😳😬

• Wow
Reactions: Spencie

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
29D0C3A8-A033-4EA4-8A37-ACEE94F2D97B.jpeg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Send some of the rain our way. Grass is brown. Mowing has halted. Same goes for gardens. They are thirsty.

Stressless

Keene, OH
Farm WX station month of June showing/// started off well and just quit, didn't rain in the 4 days the power was out either... I'm very surprised the plots haven't just spontaneously ignited....

1656591486445.png

Bowkills

Nw oh
Geneticly modified i guess. Im going to check with my farming buddy who emptys my rain gauge by the road to see what weve had here for the season. i dont understand how plants grow in this. 90 degrees alot of days. Id think we have to be in bad drought conditions now.

Stressless

Keene, OH
Mmm... ever since agricultural started we've been genetically modifiing plants. My plots are all in legumes so they should be deep rooted ... but 3 weeks and .2".

Bowkills

Nw oh
Mmm... ever since agricultural started we've been genetically modifiing plants. My plots are all in legumes so they should be deep rooted ... but 3 weeks and .2".
This is the worst start for crops i can remember. Itd just be interesting to see what a corn field in the 50s would look like vs todays with the same conditions. We got skipped on alot of those rains early in the growing season that north and south recieved. Its getting very dry.

Reactions: hickslawns

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Late plantings for most of the farmers here. They got stuff planted and it dried up and got hot. We have some lawns which haven't been cut in two weeks. Next week a few will be mowed. Not all of them. I expect this mid July. I expect it to start drying up roughly mid June. Maybe stretch visits to 7-10 days versus 4-7days. Even then we get one decent rain and we are back to normal rotation. I cannot recall such an abrubt stoppage of growth in the last 25 years.

Bowkills

Nw oh
Late plantings for most of the farmers here. They got stuff planted and it dried up and got hot. We have some lawns which haven't been cut in two weeks. Next week a few will be mowed. Not all of them. I expect this mid July. I expect it to start drying up roughly mid June. Maybe stretch visits to 7-10 days versus 4-7days. Even then we get one decent rain and we are back to normal rotation. I cannot recall such an abrubt stoppage of growth in the last 25 years.
My buckhorn looks great in my burnt grass though....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My buckhorn looks great in my burnt grass though....
Right on. The untreated lawns are actually giving us some work. Level off the buckhorn, maybe a slight trim on the clover and nut sedge, and throw in a few other random weeds. Then the one patch in the shade that grew 1/2-3/4" in the last two weeks while the rest of the grass in open sunlight is roached. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5Cent and Bowkills