Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Random weather thread

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
UGH, our place is totally gone. Boat is still there and the truck is dented up some I guess. Most of the park is leveled.

Dammit man I hate to hear that. Sorry bud. Is it a mobile home park?

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
51D2D08B-DFFB-47BE-A8AA-52CFABA1A610.jpeg

Cape Coral area. Haven’t had word since after sendi that yesterday afternoon.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
View attachment 162571
Cape Coral area. Haven’t had word since after sendi that yesterday afternoon.

Kind of hollow as I would be worried, but tell your buddy not to freak out yet. It might take a couple of days for communications to come back up. Usually they bulldoze streets to get to certain areas where they can set up mobile cellular trucks. They'll bring in generators to the cell towers and try to get them up if they don't have generators already. Clearing main streets and communications is the first priority. When we had family in Panama City for Michael we didn't hear from them for three days.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
OK, so apparently, now that it is light, we still have some walls standing. The guy that told me it was gone was there at 3:00am with a flashlight. So we are hoping some of the contents are still there and salvageable.

That's better news. If you trust those people and you have valuables, momentos that you absolutely need to save have them grab it. They'll need to be dried to prevent mold and mildew and unfortunately looting happens sometimes. Spores will be crazy soon due to all the debris and humidity and it'll grow on anything wet. When are you planning to head down?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
FWIW I heard a guy talking on the radio about insurance. He claimed that there is a difference in deductibles between a cat 4 and cat 5 storm. He implied that NOAA fudged the numbers and it really was a cat 5 but that would have cost insurance companies a ton of money.

I've read my policies cover to cover the last three years and haven't seen that to be the case. It would surely impact rates going forward though as they're based on risk factors.

Down here you have a wind policy and any "other covered loss" policy. Usually, they're with the same company, but you can get them separate. For instance, USAA will insure my home but not for wind, If I go with them I can get another company to cover wind or go into the state wind pool policy which is expensive. Wind is damage from any named storm and the deductible is usually a percent of insured value. So if you have a 300k home and a 5% wind deductible your deductible payment will be 15k no matter if you have 20k in damages or a total loss. The any other covered loss portion is a standard 500-2,500 deductible.

Where insurance will try to screw you is saying the damage was flooding and not wind then try to push it to the FEMA flood policy. And depending on the policy they try the depreciated amount vs replacement amount crap. Insurance is always a fight. I'm over-insured and would still likely have to fight to fight them.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The other thing is a lot of people buy a trailer in Fl as a vacation home. Nice trailer parks are everywhere. The problem is they're often not able to be insured depending on their proximity to the coast. If you find a company to insure it the policy payment is usually outrageous due to the risk. So may of them are just cash purchased and not insured.

Big H

Medina
Checking flights now. Probably early next week.

My buddy that we have chartered through a few times just went in and gave me a better assessment. He grabbed my truck and boat keys that thankfully were still there. The roof is flapping and will need repaired as will some of the interior. We are in a much better place mentally than we were this morning. It's going to take some work, but we will eventually fix it back up. I will post some pics when I get them. Cell tower is down so they are getting spotty reception.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Kind of hollow as I would be worried, but tell your buddy not to freak out yet. It might take a couple of days for communications to come back up. Usually they bulldoze streets to get to certain areas where they can set up mobile cellular trucks. They'll bring in generators to the cell towers and try to get them up if they don't have generators already. Clearing main streets and communications is the first priority. When we had family in Panama City for Michael we didn't hear from them for three days.
They got word from him. They’re ok. Lots of damage but they’re not injured at all. 👍🏼

Big H

Medina
The other thing is a lot of people buy a trailer in Fl as a vacation home. Nice trailer parks are everywhere. The problem is they're often not able to be insured depending on their proximity to the coast. If you find a company to insure it the policy payment is usually outrageous due to the risk. So may of them are just cash purchased and not insured.
That is me

Big H

Medina
This is right at the entrance to our park. That boat you see is a 29 foot center console pro line. It is my neighbor behind me. The wind blew it out of his driveway and down the street into someone else’s yard.

The other picture is up on 776 in Manasota Beach Road

Attachments

• D37A9017-98D1-41F9-8413-365FBBE6FB72.jpeg
    D37A9017-98D1-41F9-8413-365FBBE6FB72.jpeg
    365.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 43FB3D8F-A87A-4FE8-ADE6-97B07489A2CB.jpeg
    43FB3D8F-A87A-4FE8-ADE6-97B07489A2CB.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 77

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Checking flights now. Probably early next week.

Check bags and pack some thick tarps, round cap roofing nails, nails of other sizes, a hand saw, hammer, tubes of silicone caulk and roofing tar. You won't be able to find any of that with 300 miles when you get there. If you need boards or something don't be afraid to go roadside debris hunting, I'm sure everyone understands. Roadside though not yards. :) Personally I would wait a few days before you go and make sure the roads are back open as there won't be anywhere to stay if you can't get in. There's not any rain in the forecast until like next Friday but it's also Fl and you know how that is.