Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Random weather thread

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
dad and my little brother are down in the north port and port charlotte area relaying bottled water, batteries and essentials to people and doing as many resuces as possible. Depending on the report when I hear back, I may be headed down there tomorrow morning via plane ride to TIA OR GAINESVILLE. Some of the pictures I’ve seen are terrible… they definitely need all the help they can get.

Big H

Medina
This is our street

Attachments

• D710915E-372E-40D0-AD05-16837C855757.jpeg
    D710915E-372E-40D0-AD05-16837C855757.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 56

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
The guy that owns the company my wife works for lives in Fort Myers, said he doesn't see how his house is still standing. He said it was the most rain and wind he had ever seen, hope to get some pictures soon.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
NOAA has started uploading their aerial imagery of the damages.. Not as bad as I thought it would be. I was surprised to see what looks like about 90% of the houses on Sanibel are still standing. I'm sure there is a ton of water damage from the surge, debris and wave action but it looks like many structures are still standing and their roofs are intact. The post 2002 Miami-Dade building code and 2010 update for Florida is no joke. Sanibel sits in the high velocity hurricane zone where the building entire exterior envelope has to be built to withstand 160 MPH winds with lab tested materials and design. There is a ton of destruction but I will say for a 150+ Cat 4 you can't expect much better structural survivability than this.

1664827547123.png

1664827631458.png

IMAGERY https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/ian/index.html

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
NOAA has started uploading their aerial imagery of the damages.. Not as bad as I thought it would be. I was surprised to see what looks like about 90% of the houses on Sanibel are still standing. I'm sure there is a ton of water damage from the surge, debris and wave action but it looks like many structures are still standing and their roofs are intact. The post 2002 Miami-Dade building code and 2010 update for Florida is no joke. Sanibel sits in the high velocity hurricane zone where the building entire exterior envelope has to be built to withstand 160 MPH winds with lab tested materials and design. There is a ton of destruction but I will say for a 150+ Cat 4 you can't expect much better structural survivability than this.

View attachment 162892

View attachment 162893

IMAGERY https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/ian/index.html
I heard on the news that they said if your home had the entire first floor engulfed in water to the ceiling, you were going to have to tear it down and rebuild…with the high temps and mold spores it’ll be impossible to fix.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I heard on the news that they said if your home had the entire first floor engulfed in water to the ceiling, you were going to have to tear it down and rebuild…with the high temps and mold spores it’ll be impossible to fix.

Depends. As long as they get in there and cut the sheetrock out and expose closed areas they'll let it dry out. Months later they'll gut everything down to the structure, spray it with mold inhibitor and rebuild. Most insurance requires an 80% loss for it to be a total loss. Depending on the loan to value ratio people may just walk away foreclose and make it the mortgage companies problem. Insurance is notoriously stingy and will try to pay as little as possible, mold isn't going to stop them, they'll pay thousands in mitigation to avoid paying out a total loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sgt Fury

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Here's the very latest from 'deermeatfordinner', which I believe is a good one. It pertains to helping out those in serious need from being completely stranded/isolated in some of the worst hit areas from the storm.

Last edited:

Bowkills

Nw oh
Weve had some frost on roof tops 3 mornings now. Might see a solid coverage tonight. Beautiful weather!!!! No ice needed beer can just chill out in the truck bed overnight....

Reactions: finelyshedded