Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Reloading big cartridges

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
And on the farm I deer hunt.... Had the big feet people searching for clues last fall..... Fugged up the hunting for a month....
If there is more than one big foot are they big foots or big feet? Never thought about it before... :smiley_chinrub:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Bring this back up. I’m in a reloading group on FB and the subject of loads not filling the case came up. So as to not highjack that thread I started another about using the foam to fill the airspace in the case.

A couple of guys jumped in that it wasn’t necessary, possibly dangerous, would cause fouling etc. Then I posted a photo of a page from the loading manual I used that said to use foam filler. 🦗🦗🦗😂
F0C6CE3A-B6FB-4D54-95C6-D004E94AEC28.jpeg

P8riot

Carbon, In
That sounds like it would add another variable in the mix! Are they small pieces of foam like gun powder or a literal piece of foam?

I get the concept of filling the case for pressure, but I dont know.

Hmmm i read up on it. I would be more worried about static electricity depending on what kind of foam. Also, every piece should be cut to exact lenghts so any compression is the same. Sound like overthinking it and fixing a problem that isnt really a problem.

I am extremely anal about my reloads. I do extra steps like weighing each finished round. On my .223 i pull any over weight rounds and check the brass. I know which brands use thicker brass then I clear them as safe. I mean we are only talking a few grains, but still. That is my .223 where I use mixed head stamps and pump them out on my Lee Progressive.

My .308 are all hand loaded on a beam scale and I use the same brass and all come in within a grain or so of each other.

I love reloading and this temporary living situation makes it impossible for me to reload

Last edited:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
That sounds like it would add another variable in the mix! Are they small pieces of foam like gun powder or a literal piece of foam?

I get the concept of filling the case for pressure, but I dont know.

Hmmm i read up on it. I would be more worried about static electricity depending on what kind of foam. Also, every piece should be cut to exact lenghts so any compression is the same. Sound like overthinking it and fixing a problem that isnt really a problem.
Remember the intended use of this cartridge isn’t long range precision, it’s to put a big chunk of lead into sensitive areas of the anatomy of very large, potentially dangerous critters at close range. If it shoots a 3-4 inch group at 100 yards that’s excellent accuracy.

Once again this is what my reloading manual calls for in this load. The manual is Woodleigh Bullets reloading manual copyright 2014. I’m not recommending it for other cartridges or loads.

Left field

Remember the intended use of this cartridge isn’t long range precision, it’s to put a big chunk of lead into sensitive areas of the anatomy of very large, potentially dangerous critters at close range. If it shoots a 3-4 inch group at 100 yards that’s excellent accuracy.

Once again this is what my reloading manual calls for in this load. The manual is Woodleigh Bullets reloading manual copyright 2014. I’m not recommending it for other cartridges or loads.
Let’s see what it does to a deer :D

Reactions: P8riot and Ohiosam