Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Reloading press

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
View attachment 60501
Found out I need to tap the shell on the bench after cleaning the primer pocket and keep an eye out for debris in the primer holder. Had a small brass shaving fall in there before I placed the new primer. When setting the new primer that tiny brass shaving dented the primer. Glad it didn't go off. Got the air hose to make sure this doesn't happen again.

What’re you using to clean the primer pockets?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Gotcha, we switched over to a power trimmer and it’s got the pocket cleaner on it as well. Seems to get cleaner with less debris....

Reactions: RedCloud

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I had to add a shelf above the bench to hold my extra dies and such this weekend. Finally getting things rounded up and organized to start running. Just need some small pistol primers and CFE pistol powder so I can start banging those out as well.
20180422_190754.jpg

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Looks great! Your in for a lot of fun with your new hobby!
I have loaded up some of the .223 but need to hit the range and see if I want to adjust the load. If everything works then I'll lock it in and start rolling. Have to find out if the Den in Shelby has the pistol powder or if I'll have to look elsewhere for that yet. Already deprimed the pistol rounds so they are just waiting on me to get powder to run them.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Awesome! If you get around Ashland stop at fin feather and fur. They always seemed to have a lot of powder in stock when we stopped in.
I was in Lodi Sunday and was going to hit there on our way home but found they were closed at 5 pm and they close by 6 on Saturday's. Maybe next time I'm up that way I'll make sure to stop in.

Reactions: GoetsTalon

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I have loaded a few .223 rounds and will have to wait until next weekend to take them to the range and test them out. I can add some pics if you guys want to see what the finished product looks like.

Using a 62gr Vmax bullet
20.5gr IMR 3031 powder
OAL is 2.260

Reactions: GoetsTalon

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I shoot the 58 gr Vmax out of the .243 and man I love the outcome on groundhogs, they don’t I’m sure 😂

Hopefully those Vmax wii group well for you, I’d like to see you drop a hog or a coyote with those...

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I shoot the 58 gr Vmax out of the .243 and man I love the outcome on groundhogs, they don’t I’m sure 😂

Hopefully those Vmax wii group well for you, I’d like to see you drop a hog or a coyote with those...
Those Vmax are devastating on critters lol. Plan on cracking a ghog or 2 before it's all said and done lol. Would love to see what would happen on a yote or 2 as well.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Just saw this adam... glad you're reloading. The pic you posted of the bad primers caught my interest. Are you swaging primer pockets? The cases you showed in your pic were lake city brass (federal), lake city crimps their primers like a NATO round. The old crimps need to be removed. I tried using a deburring tool but didnt like the fact that I was removing brass from the pocket. I picked up an rcbs swaging die and it works great. You're welcome to borrow it if you like.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Almost forgot... don't bother with a tumbler right away. I've got a layman turbo pro 1200, bring some brass over and we'll clean it up for ya.

.223 Remington
62 grain hornady FMJ boat tail
23.1 grain varget
CCI 400 primer
2.250 OAL

68 grain hornady match FMJ HP boat tail
22.6 grain gadget
CCI 400 primer
2.250 OAL
(Lethal motherfucker)