Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rests (need some input)

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
I searched for a thread on this, but either I suck at searching this site (which is possible) or there ain't one...

Alright, I'm thinking about getting a new fall away rest. After years of shooting the whisker biscuit type rest, I am tired of it tearing up my fletching or warping it. I really don't know where to begin from a quality stand point since I've never really looked into them...so here's the question...If money was no object (not saying it isn't, but for the sake of conversation), what rest would you buy and why?

Just to help with what you may recommend, I shoot a mathews z7 at 65# with a draw length of 28".

I'm all ears. Gotta get it in the next few weeks to get comfortable. The reason I've always liked the whisker biscuit is I never wanted the arrow to fall off...thanks for any input. I'll read it all. Let 'er rip.:smiley_coolpeace:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
QAD Ultra Rest the pro version or whatever they call it is what I ended up with. I bought it a couple years ago but it was the best then IMHO. Maybe something better came out since then...hard for me seeing something much better.

Beentown

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have heard great things about the QAD Beener mentioned. I went with a Ripcord only because the archery shop owner said they had some issues with the QAd with some of his sponsored shooters. The springs would eventually get weak and not drop Quick enough. In all fairness, they shoot thousands of arrow each month. Most of us would never have this issue IMO. Only downfall with my Ripcord Rest is if you let down the containment part let's down as well. I just manually flip it back up and it is no biggie. I believe the QAD containment portion stays up if you let down. Either one would make a good rest in my opinion.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I just had a QAD ultra-rest hunter put on my bow. This will be the first year for me to use a drop away but from everything I have seen it should be a decent rest. I like the idea that I can set it or let the draw cycle set it. The other reason I like it is if I let down a shot it stays locked in the ready position until I shoot or flick the rest quick and it unlocks. Seems pretty cool so far.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have 3 QAD's and have no reason not to suggest them. My loaner bow is set up with the regular old QAD from the first or second year they were on the market. The wife's bow has the Hunter model, and mine has the HD model on it. All have performed flawlessly and setup/tuning is a breeze.

With that being said, the G5 Expert line is also a fine rest. Greg can touch more on those. I'm also looking at buying the new Trophy Ridge Revolution for the next bow. I like what I've seen in the slow-mo test videos and what I've read on Archery Talk.

My recommendation would be the QAD. Just what I know and trust...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
G5 Expert Pro or a Limbdriver would be my two choices. They are both simple, tough, and won't effect cam timing at all. The one thing they lack is containment (although Limbdriver has a new rest this year with containment). For me, containment is not really an issue. I don't really do any spot and stalk hunting, so my bow is almost always in the upright position. And very seldom do I not release an arrow once drawn back on a deer, so letting down from full draw without containment of the arrow doesn't bother me much. Smooth draw and smooth let-down will result in the arrow staying on the rest just fine. After hours of searching through AT and other resources, there seemed to be a pattern with the QAD and sometimes the ripcord rests... fletching contact and internal component failure. I do like the features that the QAD and ripcord rests offer, but with additional features comes additional parts that can fail. I like to keep things as simple as possible.

I searched for a thread on this, but either I suck at searching this site (which is possible) or there ain't one...

Alright, I'm thinking about getting a new fall away rest. After years of shooting the whisker biscuit type rest, I am tired of it tearing up my fletching or warping it. I really don't know where to begin from a quality stand point since I've never really looked into them...so here's the question...If money was no object (not saying it isn't, but for the sake of conversation), what rest would you buy and why?

Just to help with what you may recommend, I shoot a mathews z7 at 65# with a draw length of 28".

I'm all ears. Gotta get it in the next few weeks to get comfortable. The reason I've always liked the whisker biscuit is I never wanted the arrow to fall off...thanks for any input. I'll read it all. Let 'er rip.:smiley_coolpeace:
If you like/love the WB rest have you considered switching vanes?
I have found the Norway Duravane Predator vanes are SUPER stiff an are similar an work as well or better then Blazers etc..O an there cheap to buy an stick like a motherfugger...Just a thought if you want to keep that trusty biscuit around..

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
It's hard to beat the QAD especially now that they have the curved containment bar to accommodate for high profile vanes. I really like my G5 Expert Pro rest because it is whisper quiet and works via the upwards cable. IMO, its only downfall is the fact that it is not a containment rest.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I would not need a containment rest either, but I love the peace of mind it brings with it. It's just something I have a hard time getting away from and that's why I'm not shooting a G5 Expert. I dig the rest and everything about it but the containment issue. I was looking at the new QAD last night after I posted this and really dig that rest. It seems to me that they addressed all the issues they have had and added a Limite Lifetime Warranty that covers the internal components for normal wear and tear. I'd have to say that squelched my desire to branch out to a TR Revolution.

I'll add that I love the Limb Driver design and believe it is the probably the best engineered drop away available. My big issue with them and the sole reason I don't own one is the string connecting to the upper limb. I can see that catching on shit easily and it brings a variable to the equation I'm not comfortable with. That's just my opinion though...

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
Man, this is all great stuff. It's really helped me learn about a bunch of stuff I never even thought about. Unless there is a strong opinion that makes more sense...I'm on my way to QAD Ultra rest-ville.:pickle:

Thanks fellas.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like QAD has addressed most of the issues from past versions... I was unaware of that. Seems like it would be a great choice now.

Mossy made an excellent point about the WB and vanes. I used to shoot a WB and the Duravane Predator vanes don't ripple at all from passing through it. Blazer vanes also hold up extremely well through a WB.

I guess really you just have to ask yourself what you want to do with your bow. A whisker biscuit is a tried-n-true hunting rest. But if you're looking to tighten groups, especially out to 40 or 50 yds, a whisker biscuit is not going to help you IMO.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Man, this is all great stuff. It's really helped me learn about a bunch of stuff I never even thought about. Unless there is a strong opinion that makes more sense...I'm on my way to QAD Ultra rest-ville.:pickle:

Thanks fellas.

You won't regret the decision.

I just put on a QAD Ultra Rest Hunter. Installation is pretty straight forward. It comes with a DVD showing you exactly how the set everything up, so if I can do it, anybody can.

Once I had it installed I had to make some adjustments, but after a tweek here and a tweek there to the rest, along with adjusting my nocking point up slightly higher on the string, I was paper tuned and ready to rock!

And speaking of customer service, I had to replace the felt pad on the drop away portion of the rest. I sent an email to the company explaining the issue with the adhesive, and within 2 days I had an envelope in my mailbox with a few sets of replacement felt. No big deal to the company in terms of dollars there, but their responsiveness was great!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think alot of the bad grouping with a WB is due to the fact that it is not forgiving at all to any shooting form flaws..I wont say its less accurate then a drop away..I will just say the drop away MIGHT be more forgiving..Just my Opinion

Oh absolutely.... That's precisely why the drop-away rests are more CONSISTENTLY accurate. How many people do you know that have perfect, and I mean perfect, shooting form? Probably not very many. So for 90% of the archers out there (probably 98% of bowhunters in general), a drop-away rest would yield tighter groups than a whisker biscuit, simply because it provides them more forgiveness in shooting form flaws. I'm not talking 0-20yds... I'm talking groups at 40+ yds.