Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ricers 2013-2014 Hunting Haps and Mishaps

Ricer2231

I was fighting the steering wheel as it was wanting to go on toward home in the rain. But there aren't any deer on my couch so I cranked the wheel towards my stand. I didn't see any bucks but I did see a doe and two fawns. The doe and one fawn were about 12 yards from the base of my tree and the other fawn ran around like it was going crazy! I don't know if it was just playing or cold or what but it was flying around like a maniac. Haha. I thought I was busted as the doe looked directly at me but put her head down and went to feeding. I was very pleased when the doe and one fawn circled directly down wind of me and never even missed a beat as they munched on grass. 10 mph wind blowing directly at them and they didn't have a care in the world, thank you Scent Smoker.

Ricer2231

Well I got back out in the stand tonight. I am really excited about this spot. I am within 75 yards of a major bedding area and it's really gonna get hot and heavy soon. I heard my first buck grunt tonight. He was about 75 yards away from me and on the outside edge of the bedding area. Just one long, continuous grunt and that was the end of that. I had one doe within 30-40 of my stand for a good hour and a half tonight. No good clear shot but also no real hurry either, she will be back. I really got a good feeling that this place is gonna be super busy once the rut kicks in good. I have had two people tell me they have seen two big bucks within half a mile of my stand, a big 7 point that both people said would go 150" and a big non typical with a drop time on the right side that they wouldn't even venture a guess at. :)

Ricer2231

Got back out in the stand tonight. A little warm but any night in the woods is a good night. I made it into the stand about 3:30, got hooked in, got my lucky arrow out of my quiver, nocked it up hung my bow and took a seat. Getting settled in. Hung my binos, smeared a little Evercalm on my tree and grabbed my release outta my release pocket. The pocket where I ALWAYS put it so I won't forget it. But the release pocket was empty. FUGG! I had taken it out to smoke it cuz it got sweaty last time out and had laid it on the truck floor. FUGG FUGG and double FUGG!!! Down the tree and back to the truck. The smoker was still cooking so I smoked myself again because now I was a little sweaty. Smoked the release and back to the stand. The evening went on without anymore catches and I thought I might have my first shut out but just before dark a doe and her fawn swung by to say hello. I'm guessing it will be a while before I forget my release again. Knock on wood.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We've all been there at one point Don lol.... If it weren't for bad luck right lol..... Last time out I forgot my change of so me lol... Left them on the tonneau cover....

Ricer2231

I forgot to post a picture from tonight. Very relaxing and therapeutic.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383183988.198780.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nice pic and recap, Don. Something to consider; if you encounter a deer you want to shoot on the way, you better have your release on your wrist! It will also keep you from leaving it in the truck... :) Good luck on your next hunt!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
we have all been there forgetting something. Glad you had a non-cold evening and didn't get skunked. lmao

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang Don, been here and done that! Did the word FUGG echo down the hollar? Lol

Glad you made it through with no more glitches and had an enjoyable sit.....and yes it's the best therapy money can't buy! Good luck on your next sit buddy!

Ricer2231

I got I my stand this morning about 7:00 and was all settled in for the crack of dawn. I bumped one deer on the way in but couldn't tell what it was. It was pretty slow all morning when I got a text from my buddy who was in his tree about 3/4 of a mile away. " they're on the move this morning" was his text and he told me he had seen three different bucks. I wasn't seeing crap until about 9:30 when I could see a small tree just getting the hell thrashed out of it. I could just see the tree and part of the rack. It looked decent but I really couldn't tell so I stood up and got ready for a shot just in case. But no such luck, dink! It was pretty exciting to watch him pound on that little sapling though. The last time I hunted this stand was Wednesday night. I got down around 10:30 today and got to looking and there are 5 brand new rubs within 20 yards of my stand that I couldn't see when I walked in in the dark. I wonder if using the Evercalm on the trees had anything to do with that or if he just decided that was a good spot to do some ripping on trees. One of the trees is one that I put the Evercalm on as you can see in the picture. The Evercalm is white and he rubbed right on it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383437479.109135.jpg
I would really like to hear what you guys think about this. This is my first year using the Evercalm so I don't know a lot about it. Plus, what is your routine for using it and how often do you use it?
So I get down and head to my brothers to watch the game and eat some lunch. I really had no intention of hunting anymore today but as the first half progressed and the Buckeyes proceeded to thrash Purdue I thought "FUGG THIS"! I headed back to the stand and got back in there at 2:30. I had a pretty uneventful afternoon sit with only seeing one doe but an afternoon in the tree is still a good afternoon, whether you are covered up with deer or not.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't know Don. I just put it on my boots for the walk in. Tried in on trees around cameras before but never seemed like they cared. Might have put them at ease, but didn't "attract" them in my opinion. Not something a person could evaluate. The deer may have done the same thing without it on the trees.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
what is your routine for using it and how often do you use it?

Dont know if it is the right way or the wrong way because this is my first year with it as well, but I like to put it on the soles of my boots, the palms of my gloves and a little dab on the thighs of my pants. that way, anything I touch, brush up against, or step on will have that scent.

Ricer2231

One More Step
Got in the stand about 45 minutes before daylight and got all settled. Things were pretty slow until about 9:00 when I had a little six point make his way in. For some reason he locked up at 15 yards and went back the way he came from. I don't know what his problem was, he didn't wind me, I hadn't walked where he was, I didn't move. Who knows but about 45 minutes later here he comes again from the down wind side this time. He never hesitated a bit from 50 yards in just a nice steady walk with a 10 mph wind blowing from me and smacking him right in the face. Like I said not one time did he get skidish, just walked right past my tree at ten yards and kept right on his merry way. I love my Scent Smoker. Things had pretty much settled down and I was thinking about climbing down and going to get a bite to eat when I could here a distant grunt. Not real deep but pretty deep and getting closer. I looked behind me where the grunts were coming from and couldn't see anything but the sun. My stand sets at the bottom of a steep bank and looks directly west. All I could see was a flash of sunlight off his antlers every now and then. I lifted my bow off the hook and had to turn 360 degrees because there was no way I was getting a shot shooting over my left shoulder into the sun. I baby stepped my way all the way around and there was a doe standing there 20 yards away and dead down wind. She had slipped behind me in the sun and I had never seen her. I was sure I was busted, she was looking right at me and the only thing I could think of was FUGG! Then she put her head down and fed a little. Thank you again Scent Smoker. She worked her way out the top of the hill and I looked for the buck because I still didn't know how big he was. He had stopped directly behind me and I could see his rack and the back half of his body. It was the ten point that I just got the first pictures of on 11/5. Here's a couple pics of him. Just nighttime pics no day pics.
View attachment 17664
View attachment 17665
I had no shot because he was too far behind me and a tree was blocking his vitals anyway. She was slowly working her way away from me and eating so he was doing the same thing. She got to a fence and stopped for a minute. The buck trotted right through my window I was counting on and stopped right behind another tree. FUGG! When he started into the window I drew and was at full draw while he stood for what seemed like forever at ten yards!. I kept whispering " one more step, just one more step". I peeked at the doe while I was holding and she hopped over a barb wire fence and trotted about ten feet. I knew then it wasn't gonna happen. He hopped a couple times and I grunted at him 3-4 while he walked away hoping he would stop and turn back but he didn't until he got to the fence. The fence is 45 yards through brush and as he hopped the fence and trotted around the hill I finally let my draw off and was left with just the thought that he will be back. I hope.