Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ring bologna and snack sticks

Derek j

Knox Co.
and where are the recipes? Or are you all using the kits from High Mountain or Cabelas?

I have been buying all my seasonings. They are either Cabelas brand or high mountain. If my wife shoots a deer this week, I will probably try out making my own seasonings.

Jamie

Ohio
yes, that is a nice set up. I have a Bradley 6 rack digital. serves me well for all my smoking and isn't a lot of fussing. very consistent results. for those of you that are into making your own sausages, I'd highly recommend getting a copy of "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" by Rytek Kutas. wonderful book chock full of valuable information and tons of recipes. none of his recipes that we have tried have been duds, but some are exceptional, like his breakfast sausage. I can't choke down Bob Evans, Jimmy Dean, Falters or any others since I tried his recipe. I make about 30-40 pounds of it every year. german bologna, kielbasa, sweet Italian sausage, summer sausage..... dang, it'll be sausage making time in a few weeks!

Jamie

Ohio
it is "the" sausage makers bible. nice thing about using recipes instead of pre-mixed seasonings is that you can easily tweak them to your own taste. for Kutas' breakfast sausage I only use 1/2 of the salt that the recipe calls for and it is still plenty of salt. downside is that you have to buy spices in quantity. isn't really a downside imo because they are really cheap by the pound compared to the little two ounce jars at grocery store. a good place to get spices, casings of all sorts, etc. is

http://www.butcher-packer.com/

locally, GFS sells an excellent selection of dry spices in quantity. they also have small meat lugs with lids. practically a must for making sausage.

Jamie

Ohio
done and ready for water bath be5811dc-45d6-4385-92a8-dc2b0534abcd.jpg

"blooming" after water bath e99b33fb-e2b3-4a21-bf4e-6ded5594ee89.jpg

finished product from left to right summer sausage, german bologna(the big ones), parmesan sausage(a sort of spicy pepperoni-ish smoked sausage. recipe classified. it's my fav.sausagepile2013.jpg

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Jamie save some German for a bowfeeshin sammiches. Dam that stuff is really good. Jamie won't tell you that he honestly makes the best stuff I have ever had.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
If you need a stuffer get a vertical rather than a pig snout one. Pricier but much easier to use if you do any quantity.

Buckmaster

Portage
If you need a stuffer get a vertical rather than a pig snout one. Pricier but much easier to use if you do any quantity.

I concur.

Nice work there Jamie.

Though my smoker is one inch foam insulated I do a much better job maintaining consistent temperatures when the outside temps are at least above freezing.
For the time being, Little Chief, will need to wait for warmer temps there Holla.

Buckmaster

Portage
Here's some highlights from last year with Mini-Me.

Attachments

• Brendan Sausage Stuffing.jpg
    Brendan Sausage Stuffing.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 194
  • Grinder.jpg
    Grinder.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 203
  • Meat Mixer.jpg
    Meat Mixer.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 192
  • Brendan Mixing.jpg
    Brendan Mixing.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 198
  • Linked Sausage.jpg
    Linked Sausage.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 183
  • Country Venison Sausage.jpg
    Country Venison Sausage.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 213
  • Finished sausage ropes.jpg
    Finished sausage ropes.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 204
  • Sausage in smoke house.jpg
    Sausage in smoke house.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 181

Buckmaster

Portage
Mouth watering goodness.

Attachments

• Linked Sausage.jpg
    Linked Sausage.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 164
  • Smoke House.jpg
    Smoke House.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Italian Sausage.jpg
    Italian Sausage.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 168
  • Pole.jpg
    Pole.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 201

Jamie

Ohio
Jamie save some German for a bowfeeshin sammiches. Dam that stuff is really good. Jamie won't tell you that he honestly makes the best stuff I have ever had.

no worries, bud. I have a good bit left from last year still and it's almost time to make new. I've been eating too much squirrel. sausage goes begging. worse problems to have, I suppose. :smile: