Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ring bologna and snack sticks

Jamie

Ohio
I concur.

Nice work there Jamie.

Though my smoker is one inch foam insulated I do a much better job maintaining consistent temperatures when the outside temps are at least above freezing.
For the time being, Little Chief, will need to wait for warmer temps there Holla.

Buckmaster, my smoker is insulated, too, and like you, I have found that when it's really cold the smoker has a hard time maintaining temps. the most smoking/cooking I do with my Bradley is when I make sausage. I usually spend nearly a week babysitting smoker after all the mixing and stuffing is done. I go to great lengths to shield smoker from wind. I run smoker this time of year on screened in porch, covering screens on whatever side is needed with polyethylene tarps to block the wind, plus after I am done fiddling with opening door and stuff getting a smoke started I wrap the smoker in an old unzipped sleeping bag, making sure not to cover the top vent. if wind is blowing pretty hard I use a big cardboard box to make another wind shield that wraps all the way around smoker, leaving only the digital controls exposed so I can read them from in the house. I do several all niters with the big sausages as most of them take 10-18 hours. extra insulation and wind shields make big difference when doing large batches of (say 15-20lbs at a time in smoker) of large diameter (2"-4") sausages. is important to not cook them too slow or they get dried out from spending too long in smoker. cooking them too fast usually results in liquefying the fat and ruining the sausage.

I see you have a meat mixer. is a huge help. don't know what I'd do without mine. I use my grinder motor to power the mixer, too. I don't see how it is possible to mix 25lb batches by hand as good as the mixer does it in just a few minutes.

Derek j

Knox Co.
I would highly recommend the water powered stuffer from Dakotah Sausage Stuffer. I had GREAT success stuffing everything from small snack sticks to large summer sausage casings. If you buy the sausage and jerky making combo, you can do both casings and jerky shooter style sticks/flats. The price is unbeatable, considering it is powered by water. The price for this setup is the same as buying a LEM or Weston hand powered stuffer. Mine cracked near the threads, and the company quickly sent me a new one free of charge. Doing 55# of meat, I went through approx. 12 gallons of water. I am thinking about having some type of sump pump to "recycle" the water, so that I can use the same water each time. This would make it that much better, and would cut the downtime in half. Here is the video on their website that show the unit in action, and just how easy it is to operate.

[video=youtube;poNDOxpkJUo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=poNDOxpkJUo#t=0[/video]

Derek j

Knox Co.
The only gripe I have about the unit (and it isnt their fault) is that it is a little difficult to load the tube if you have big forearms. I can load it halfway, and then I run out of room. I made a stomper out of PVC that is slightly smaller than the ID of the tube. This has worked well for me to alleviate the problem.

Buckmaster

Portage
Do you guys feel a sausage mixer and a stuffer are essential tools to have for this?

Not a necessity, however they are essential for professional style work.

A beginner can get by with a meat lug and two hands for mixing.
The stuffer is a step over a grinder with a stuffer attachment.

It make for additional equipment to clean after a long day playing with meat. Clean up is the worst task of the whole process.

Derek j

Knox Co.
yeah....clean up sucks. From the grinder, to the mixer, to the stuffer.......thats a lot of parts to clean. I have never tried to use the stuffer attachments for my grinder. I have the big 1/2 hp industrial cabelas grinder, so it should do a good job. I just like the ease of use the stuffer gives me, and less downtime/handling of the meat.