Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ripcord rests?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not sure it is in the right section or not, but this forum looked lonely. haha

I have been having issues with some inconsistent shots lately. I was using the Octane Hostage rest. Talked to the local archery shop and he said those bristles wear out in a month or sometimes less if you shoot a lot. I asked about the QAD rests? He said him and his buddies will sometimes shoot 1000 arrows a day and found after a bit the spring gets weak and they start hitting the rest before it is out of the way. He suggested the Ripcord rest. Says the spring is stiffer than the QAD and they haven't gotten one to fail yet. I told him to put it on. Did I make a good purchase?

FWIW- Shot through the chronograph while I was there and dialing in the new rest. Hoyt Vectrix Plus set at 67lbs is right at 275. I knew it wouldn't be the listed 315 or 320ibo it was listed at, but I am content at 275. Thought it might be lower yet since I dropped the poundage to 67lbs. Good enough to kill a deer, and respectably fast in my opinion. Never done this before.

haleybrock

I shoot the ripcord and like it. No issues after a couple years other than the cord is wearing a bit. I asked the company for a replacement (just loop material really) and they sent me out 3 or 4 with instructions on changing.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've never used a Ripcord, but the bottom line is if it works for you, it's a good rest. FWIW, my dad got the QAD Bone Collector put on his new Z7 and he's not a very big fan of it. I've got the G5 Expert Pro on my rig and it's been great so far.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I am wondering if I don't have some spring issues on my QAD right now. I like the rest, but I have some issues that could be related to its performance right now...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I've never used a Ripcord, but the bottom line is if it works for you, it's a good rest. FWIW, my dad got the QAD Bone Collector put on his new Z7 and he's not a very big fan of it. I've got the G5 Expert Pro on my rig and it's been great so far.

Have you adjusted your spring tension on your G5 since you installed it? I messed with mine some, and it's got just enough tension to get the arrow up, but not so much that if I have a rough draw the arrow falls of the rest. I didn't even put the arrow holder on my riser, that's how much I trust this rest. Guess we will see if that comes back to bite me this fall...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Have you adjusted your spring tension on your G5 since you installed it? I messed with mine some, and it's got just enough tension to get the arrow up, but not so much that if I have a rough draw the arrow falls of the rest. I didn't even put the arrow holder on my riser, that's how much I trust this rest. Guess we will see if that comes back to bite me this fall...

Actually yes, I have adjusted the spring tension on mine. When I first put the rest on, it would bounce the arrow off the rest when I came to full draw. Like you, I basically adjusted mine to have just enough tension to raise the arrow and nothing more. I am using a Sims arrow holder on the front of the shelf, though, because I've got the spool of the rest set to drop below the level of the shelf.

Snoop

Compton
I've shot a Rip Cord for a 2-3 years now and have had no issues with it. When mine was installed the tech served the cord into the cable rather than clamp it on with the supplied attachment. He said it's a better method and more secure.

I've been told by a bow shop tech that replacing that cord is not an easy task if you have to do it.

Geezer

*Hims a Super Moderator*
I use the octane hostage on muh bowtech liberty - like it - paper tuned muh bow ta dead nutz - no brush wear - dang - but uhm lose't the vision in muh right eye so can't peep to good no morez - wtf

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am not going to bash the Octane Geezer. I could have replaced the brushes and I suppose it would have been good to go. I was just ready to move on. If your groups start getting larger, then be sure to look at your brushes. Good luck this season.

haleybrock

I've shot a Rip Cord for a 2-3 years now and have had no issues with it. When mine was installed the tech served the cord into the cable rather than clamp it on with the supplied attachment. He said it's a better method and more secure.

I've been told by a bow shop tech that replacing that cord is not an easy task if you have to do it.

utube video didn't look too bad. I was going to try but may wait it out. just would hate to have the thing break while drawing on a good one.

After taking apart my broken QAD hd. Then looking at the guts of my Ripcord thats been on my Hoyt Katera for 2 years without any problems. I have to say the QAD is of cheapier quality and has plastic parts where there should be metal. The Ripcords mechanisim was steel with brass bushings. The springs in the QAD are definetly lighter than the ripcords. I should have take pictures. The ripcord is a little harder to get fine tuned on a hoyt bow because the tec riser interfers more with the cord that with the QAD.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
My wifes bow has the ripcord and hasn't given her any problems. Mine has the QAD. I like the fact that if you let down with the QAD it does not drop like the ripcord does.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like the fact that if you let down with the QAD it does not drop like the ripcord does.

More than one version? The dealer put one on my Hoyt and I can manually flip it up and it stays up. I haven't tried to let down on it though. Now you have me wondering?

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
More than one version? The dealer put one on my Hoyt and I can manually flip it up and it stays up. I haven't tried to let down on it though. Now you have me wondering?

My wifes will stay up once set. But if she draws her bow back and does not fire just lets down the rest will drop down and will need to be reset. The QAD does not do this. I am unsure if all ripcords are this way, I believe they are.

My wifes will stay up once set. But if she draws her bow back and does not fire just lets down the rest will drop down and will need to be reset. The QAD does not do this. I am unsure if all ripcords are this way, I believe they are.
The all the ripcord rests needs rest after every shot or if you lower your string with out shooting. The QAD stays in the up postion if you lower your string after shooting.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I am not going to bash the Octane Geezer. I could have replaced the brushes and I suppose it would have been good to go.

They are junk dude, I couldnt hit the broadside of a barn with mine after a while, I adjusted my pins 90 times the one day with dale when I had my PSE. I dont care for those rests at all.