Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rompala buck

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Don’t mean to be insensitive but fuck Mitch. I dgaf what anybody kills. But when you do something or claim to do something and potentially hurts the outdoor community, fuckem.

Im no expert and read plenty on it. A lot of discrepancies with this deer with Mitch turning the scoring system upside down. By the way, I have no intentions to enter a deer if I ever kill one. I will measure them myself only since a picture can be 30” on each side and I use my score for reference.

The things in question by most are the purple bases, floppy ears hanging real low, only one pic, blood dripping from ears. His disagreement with the scoring club. He tried to hurt indirectly anyone involved w hunting. There is plenty written. He didn’t have to have it scored, or didn’t have to claim he killed the world record, all they asked him to do was X-ray the skull plate that’s covered in epoxy.

I remember reading, out of all the world records, none has grown a set of antlers the distance apart from each other. You decide what side of the fence your own. You know where I stand.

Reactions: Jackalope

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Guy devoted his whole life to the thing he loved the most. Never even knew anything about this deer or guy until this thread. I'm saying it's legit. He just doesn't act or seem like a guy that would give a fuck about millions of dollars for a deer.

Reactions: Gern186

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I entered my first P&Y. I entered my first and second OBB. Only because I had them scored at the same time. IF I am fortunate enough to kill a B&C I will probably enter it. Not to brag. Just to check it off the bucket list officially. Big big big "IF" I were to shoot a second B&C I doubt I'd enter it.

I don't give a crap what anyone else thinks about my deer. Sure. It feels good to hear "nice deer" or "great buck" or "you earned that one" from your friends. The rest of the internet and hunting world though? Screw that noise. Then again, I'm getting to the age where early retirement sounds nice. A world class deer "could" allow an early retirement. I doubt it is worth all the headaches that are associated with the publicity involved. Probably just put it on the wall and in the freezer and work an extra 5-10yrs. These things get silly.

I know of a world class deer that was killed. (Besides Mason's last year.) The guy said it gets ugly. Almost to the point he wished he never saw the deer. Sure would taint your perspective on hunting. Something to chew on for ya.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I know of a world class deer that was killed. (Besides Mason's last year.) The guy said it gets ugly. Almost to the point he wished he never saw the deer. Sure would taint your perspective on hunting. Something to chew on for ya.

I can tell you for a fact there's one missing between these two. I've never cared about score. Never officially scored one. Probably never will. Now if it was a world record buck worth tens of millions of dollars. The pope himself couldn't stand between me and that x-ray room. :ROFLMAO:

1628629375694.png

Nothing I have killed or in the future will ever be officially scored and entered into any books or OBB for that matter. Was raised to appreciate the animal and the memories along the way. The unofficial scores I have gotten on my two biggest were just that, to give myself and others an idea of how big the deer was in a conversation as that is how it usually goes.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Looking at the pic. Purple bases? Blood on the ear from grabbing it with a bloody hand not blood running out of it.
Purple is from the chemicals used to join or make antlers. I can’t remember the name potassium something. Turns them purple. How many purple colored horns have you seen.

I have no dog in this hunt. Plenty to read on this subject.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Maybe it's just me, but the still image looks different than the video. Like the rack is more horizontal in the photo.

Reactions: triple_duece

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I can tell you for a fact there's one missing between these two. I've never cared about score. Never officially scored one. Probably never will. Now if it was a world record buck worth tens of millions of dollars. The pope himself couldn't stand between me and that x-ray room. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 132780

So, your post intrigued me to go checkout the site and see just where exactly my biggest buck would've ended up at.

I have had all my bigger bucks officially scored by my taxi guy, whom always offered to fill out whatever appropriate application to send in to any official P&Y groups, but I always declined.

Shortly after my 2010 buck harvest, I received a call from a 'Ohio Outdoor News' magazine person. He asked about my deer harvest and if I would care to send him a field harvest photograph, which I did because I believed the deer deserved to shared. He sent me back a couple weeks later a dozen papers of that month's issue, plus a year subscription for free, which I thought that quite generous of him. I held that subscription for about five years maybe, and then let it run out when I got real busy with work, traveling all over the country. I'll have to see if what it will take to renew it cause I did enjoy that paper.

Anyhow, below is a copy that I keep under my laptop between plexiglass on my little desk with other memorabilia stuff. I believe I still have other news papers stashed someplace, but not entirely sure where exactly.

I guess if I were to get any deer of that caliber or better, I will consider heavily whatever type exposure I wish to put up with cause I even caught some flack when I first posted my earliest story about that harvest here on this site, back when I first joined.

It is strange to me how some seemed to get all worked up over this crazy thing we all do every year. The fact is; I love the sport, I love the outdoors and I truly appreciate those that care to share both successes, and/or failures so others can potentially learn by them. I love the meat, and over recent years, I've learned to appreciate spending time with like minded individuals at events like Strouds - deer camp. The comradery and support from being apart of that group is truly something special.

So, thank you to all those that have treated me fairly, and look forward to seeing you this fall!

20210810_180141.jpg

Original field photograph:
16Pt.jpg

Last edited:

Fletch

Supporting Member
Denny you touched on many good aspects of why we are outdoorsman... Always enjoy reading your posts...(y)

Reactions: Wildlife

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio

I appreciate your sharing this information, so, thank you!

After listening to the entire episode, I am even more interested about the story.

Very interesting information/opinion shared by the 40+ year world renowned and state champion experienced competitor of taxidermy - guy. He really opened my mind on how this guy could have potentially pulled off this scam. Now I am even more intrigued regarding this guys original claim of killing this world record class buck. I would be interested in listening to any other expert opinions on the topic. If you know of any others that you or anyone else for that matter could recommend, or point me in the right direction of, I'll check those out as well, thanks!

Again, I never knew about this story until it was pointed out here on the forum. So, going forward, I'll pay more attention on harvested bucks before I share any of my opinions because I really glassed over the original photographs shared previously in this thread.

Again, appreciate your sharing, thanks!

BTW, hard to believe someone would even do such a thing.

Found the other episodes, currently listening to now. Still, if there is anything else someone would suggest, I'd be interested, thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bighoun52