Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rut is on!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I saw 2 year and a half old bucks run off a doe and her fawns this week. Seems like typical behavior for teen age boys. My buddy saw a 130ish 10pt square off with a respectable (but not shooter yet) 8pt. They were following around some does. Not "chasing" as in rut behavior, but more like annoying as in immature buck behavior. Surprised to hear this from a 130" 10pt though. Figured he has seen a couple and would know enough not to waste his energy yet. Another week or two and I will get excited about hunting scrapes or rub lines. Been seeing rubs for a good while. No scrapes seen yet but I haven't ventured into areas I normally see them. Trying to keep the intrusions minimal.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Well the new moon in November is on the 3rd, does go into estrus by decreasing amounts of daylight, but also decreasing amounts of moonlight. So that would tell me that the week before the 3rd when the moon is going from full to new moon should be hot. I fully believe the last week of October will be great this year. Better be hunting the 25th and 26th for sure.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
IMO, the majority of breeding is 3-4 weeks out, but there maybe be a few does through out the state coming into estrous.
On more than one occasion, I've seen multiple bucks chasing a doe, on the 20th of October. Grunting, chasing and fighting the whole nine yards, but basically it's TOO early.
This is why, the last week of October is so great!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
IMO, the majority of breeding is 3-4 weeks out, but there maybe be a few does through out the state coming into estrous.
On more than one occasion, I've seen multiple bucks chasing a doe, on the 20th of October. Grunting, chasing and fighting the whole nine yards, but basically it's TOO early.
This is why, the last week of October is so great!

I can buy this. There are almost always exceptions. I suppose no different than the buck that shed early or was still carrying in April. Could be a random doe here or there in estrous. More likely to see one late than early I would think though as they cycle a second or third time than to see one early.

No offense to Corey, but I find it hard to believe the full blown rut is on. Every area is different though. Never know.

Lundy

I am 100% convinced that there might be breeding activity in Ohio from October to January this year.

Last year it was from October to January, but in 2011 that it was October to January, however in all preceding years the breeding activity was from October to January:)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am 100% convinced that there might be breeding activity in Ohio from October to January this year.

Last year it was from October to January, but in 2011 that it was October to January, however in all preceding years the breeding activity was from October to January:)

Me too. I am 100% convinced there might be breeding activity. Might be deer, might be mice, but there might be. lol

Just messing with you Lundy. I really don't doubt there are some early and late bloomers every year.

themedic

OHIO
I can buy this. There are almost always exceptions. I suppose no different than the buck that shed early or was still carrying in April. Could be a random doe here or there in estrous. More likely to see one late than early I would think though as they cycle a second or third time than to see one early.

No offense to Corey, but I find it hard to believe the full blown rut is on. Every area is different though. Never know.

I'm just playing Huck, I ain't even seen a buck from the stand yet. You knew it was coming, ever year on forums across the country guys start preaching EARLY RUT!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Hahahahaha. I did TOO but it appears to be a little TOO early here.

Always too early here...

...or too late.

I'm sticking to my guns with all day sits on the 2nd and 3rd.

i do think that taking the 15th through the 18th off work might have put me a little behind things, guess I'll find out.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Two weeks of vacation starting next friday...They will be moving better by then...Gonna work on getting some bucks on the ground!:pickle:

Lundy

Me too. I am 100% convinced there might be breeding activity. Might be deer, might be mice, but there might be. lol

Just messing with you Lundy. I really don't doubt there are some early and late bloomers every year.

Glad you caught that, it was intentional:)

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
In all seriousness, I moved my trip back this year. Every year I think it'll be early, because the tail of October always seems so good. And every year, the action heats up when I start to leave, the second week of November. So this year Ill be in a tree from the 8th to the 16th.