Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scent Control 101

RetUSAF

sw ohio
I never use the dryer, dry 'em outside on the line. Also, I have a lot of honeysuckle around here where I hunt. I will strip the leaves off a bunch of it, boil it up, strain it and bottle it. Then before I go out, I will spray down with it. Seems to work for me..

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I never use the dryer, dry 'em outside on the line. Also, I have a lot of honeysuckle around here where I hunt. I will strip the leaves off a bunch of it, boil it up, strain it and bottle it. Then before I go out, I will spray down with it. Seems to work for me..

Not knocking you, but you have too give the scent smoker or smoke in general a try.... It can be as simple as start a fire using leaves and gigs and get the smoke rolling and get your hunting clothes and gear all smoked up.... There are a lot of folks on hear that have tried it and all swear by it....

If you're close too someone who owns one they'll show you how and will probably let you use theirs too try out.....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I wanted to dig this thread up. The smokers (myself included) have our own thread, but a lot of guys don't smoke up, and a lot of guys who smoke up are still diligent with their scent control.

Do any of you guys fool with wiping down equipment like binos, rangefinders, rattling antlers/pack, etc.? I take good care of my clothes, bow and packs, but don't really mess with anything else. Wondered what the consensus is on that front?

Also a good reminder I have been lazy on: empty the lent filter! Damn thing was packed tonight and I also forgot.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The other thing I almost forgot, beard oil. I gotta have it or my beard knots up and gets brittle. Any good recommendations on scent free/natural smelling beard oils?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I smoke up my Xbow and rangefinder....my he grunt, can and rattle bag get smacked occasional as well.... I even do the inside of my rubber boots.... Also do the inside my hats too the point of em having smoke I them and then put them on my head....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I condition the washer and dryer. Last couple loads are in scent free detergent. Dryer sheets are unscented hypoallergenic the last couple loads. For the load I dry my hunting gear I will use the dryer sheets from the hunting companies although they are probably the same thing.

I don't wipe down my binos, rattling antlers, range finder. I smoke the crap out of them prior to every hunt. Inside/outside of boots. Every layer of clothing. Anything going to the stand with me gets smoked up. Wallet, CCW piece, cell phone, bow, release, climber if I am taking it, camcorder, grunt tube. . .everything. This is the last step. I have every piece of hunting gear washed up right now and placed in totes, but I will have it all smoked prior to the next hunt.

I don't do anything for beard product, so lathering it up with scent free soap prior to smoking up and heading out is it . . . Unless you count smoking my face, and hair.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Phil the only thing I don't smoke up is my phone, but for some reason it still smells like smoke lol....

Scent free soap, HS when I get it for 50% off or 2 for one... Other than that any scent free body wash is what I use and the generic stuff works just as good as the name brand stuff....

Not all fragrance free soap is the same.... Some still have a flowery smell too it....

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I was on a beard oil/balm kick there for quite a while. I know it helps my skin. Since deer season came in, I haven't used it at all. My skin is a little itchy, but Ill deal with it for the time being. Let me know if you find anything though.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good time of the year to pull this to the top.

I am washing gear right now. Some of the gear was never pulled out last year. It was washed and put in totes. I'm debating whether to wash it again or not. I smoke the crap out of my stuff before I go out. If I didn't use it last year, I will likely not use it this year. Just need to decide.

Do you guys rewash "everything" or just the gear you wear the most prior to season beginning?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I was everything that's washable. Packs, straps, pouches, etc. If it'll go through the washer and not get destroyed, it does. What can't, sits outside from now until season. My mobile setup just got a short rain on it, so that'll help.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was everything that's washable. Packs, straps, pouches, etc. If it'll go through the washer and not get destroyed, it does. What can't, sits outside from now until season. My mobile setup just got a short rain on it, so that'll help.
So if you washed last year, it sat in totes in garage all year sealed up, you wash it again? Just curious if I should be lazy or not. Lol

Probably wash it all in phases. Early to mid season stuff now along with all base layers. Then get the late season stuff washed later when I am washing base layers again.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
I washed mine a month ago and smoked it up in the cabinet couple weeks ago

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Washed all my early and mid season stuff last weekend, it's all getting smoked up in the blind on Sunday. I'll wash my late season stuff later.

MoonLab

Supporting Member
Tooville
Washed all my early and mid season stuff last weekend, it's all getting smoked up in the blind on Sunday. I'll wash my late season stuff later.

Yeah same here thats what i have early mid season in cabinet. As for late seaon im planning on buying a new overall since mine got ripped. I was looking into redhead bone dry overall

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Yeah same here thats what i have early mid season in cabinet. As for late seaon im planning on buying a new overall since mine got ripped. I was looking into redhead bone dry overall
I have two pairs of rocky bibs. One is reversible with snow Camo and the other is just realtree. Both are nice and warm bibs. I personally don't think I'd like overalls for bowhunting for the fact that I think they would constrict movement.

MoonLab

Supporting Member
Tooville
I have two pairs of rocky bibs. One is reversible with snow Camo and the other is just realtree. Both are nice and warm bibs. I personally don't think I'd like overalls for bowhunting for the fact that I think they would constrict movement.

Yeah but i love it once it gets some air in to keep my body at a room temperature. My legs get hot fast .