Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sgt Fury’s 2021 NJ and Ohio seasons

Fletch

Supporting Member
George.. Good Luck... Just keep the snow down by you... Nothing up here so far and let's keep it that way... Very cold compared to the last several days though...

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
CCF5D372-66D8-4C89-AAC8-E8D749F5FFE8.jpeg
7E495B1D-F849-4DC1-BE1C-49CC7D884C15.jpeg

Couple of minutes after I took these pics, snow really started to come down heavy…doe went straight to the laurels to bed.

Fletch

Supporting Member
George... What are you hunting with??? Bow,muzzy,shotgun... We have so many extended seasons it's hard to keep track...

• Haha
Reactions: Wildlife

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I'm curious, what weapon are you hunting with today?

Regardless what you're using, I wish you the best of luck George!

George... What are you hunting with??? Bow,muzzy,shotgun... We have so many extended seasons it's hard to keep track...
I’m using my Thompson Center Stainless/synthetic slug gun in 20 gauge.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Ok... Like I said as many zones as we have and different regs. hard to keep track... Only thing open now in zone 3 is winter bow... Next year Jersey may have a slingshot season... Another license fee and a special buck tag... All about the money....

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I’ve got to say, being retired and able to hunt every day of the season, I kinda got burned out and toward the end, it wasn’t fun anymore. Too much pressure on myself to go hunting even when I wasn’t in the mood. All the time spent on stand dark to dark for two weeks then another week for gun season in Ohio this year ran me down a bit, then continuing December and January just about every day. I need to learn to pull back and only go when I want to…and not feel like I have to. Now it’s rabbit hunting a couple days a week, which is always fun, then fishing for white perch in March. Hopefully I’ll be “hungry” again come next fall bow season.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I’ve got to say, being retired and able to hunt every day of the season, I kinda got burned out and toward the end, it wasn’t fun anymore. Too much pressure on myself to go hunting even when I wasn’t in the mood. All the time spent on stand dark to dark for two weeks then another week for gun season in Ohio this year ran me down a bit, then continuing December and January just about every day. I need to learn to pull back and only go when I want to…and not feel like I have to. Now it’s rabbit hunting a couple days a week, which is always fun, then fishing for white perch in March. Hopefully I’ll be “hungry” again come next fall bow season.
It’s a grind, I did the same my first season I retired. Reigned it in the next few years and now I probably spend close too a month total hunting. Week increments with gun and muzzle loader seasons with it.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I understand what your saying. My season is long and rut is the last 5 weeks of the season after every deer is on high alert and nocturnal.
To me having that much free time to enjoy what we loved gives me opportunities to hunt right. By this I mean hunting when I should be hunting (weather, wind direction). Too many times I hunted and had “5” hunts I could make and hunted 5 times even when the conditions were wrong. I like my extended stays and don’t feel the need to hunt every hour of the day, take off a hunt or two or hunt a different quarry to break things up. Do I get burned out? You bet your sweet ass! But it’s a passion and I will continue to do it. I’ve hunted a shit ton this year, passed on some good bucks, went oos and hunted ducks, fished, it’s all about what you like to do. I’m burnt right now but in a week I will be wanting more. It’s all about the chase and memories made and shared. Enjoy the journey.
No difference than going on vacation to relax and come home needing to rest for a week…..wtf 😂

Yep, I know exactly how you feel, retired Oct 1st so I could hunt a lot more this year. Turned out to be a real grind after the rut and the first gun season was over. I hunt NJ and Ohio too and didn't connect in either state. Now I just enjoy checking the camera's and hunting maybe once a week, usually just enjoying the outdoors and watching deer I've probably seen a dozen times already. Time to start thinking about fishin !