Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sharing hunting land..or not.

Okay. I really don't expect to get any mind blowing answers but, figured you guys are a pretty good group to vent to. So I have a little over 170 acres on my main farm to hunt. But the true "huntable" acreage is probably 40 acres, maybe a bit more. The rest is fields of Christmas trees. I'm having a small issue, and before anyone chips in with the known, yes, I am SUPER LUCKY to have this land. But, anyways. I let very few people hunt here. A couple fireman buddies that may make it out once a year, my cousin who maybe makes it up every other weekend, if that, and my buddy and his son. The issue I'm starting to have is that my buddy and his son, who are very respectful and responsible hunters, are kind of starting to hunt more than I'd like the pressure to be. And because my buddy's son has a broken collarbone, they basically are limited to one stand, next to my 1 acre corn field. So they keep hunting that spot. I know it's my place but it's kinda hard to tell him that he can't be hunting as much, cuz he does offer to help her a lot and made it out a bunch to help do stuff on the farm. I'm just starting to see less movement in that area and that's one of my hot spots during the rut. I don't know if it's from the pressure or not. I'm just being slightly selfish and wanting to be able to hunt my better spots coming up and with the pressure, I'm afraid now we have other issues. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue. I'm probably just being ornery this week cuz I haven't gotten to hunt but, just wanted to vent.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Spell it out. Do it before the season. If you own it. . .you make the rules. That said, if they help out a lot be soft on the delivery. Try something like " we are burning out these spots. Movement is down because we are pressuring them too much. Let's let it cool off some and hunt some other stands." Being forward in a non-dickish way can go far. Explain it. Don't just run them off.

On the flip side, karma goes a long way. Helping others to be successful brings rewards too.

Well being that he is your buddy and he gives you alot of help I am not sure you really have alot of options. Only thing I could see is do you maybe try and get a different spot setup that would be accessible for them to hunt now?

If you want to change this for next year, then I suggest towards the end of this season maybe you have a discussion that next year you were going to limit the hunting some on the property as you feel it is getting over pressured. This way they would have time to get some other spots ready for next fall. If he is your buddy it would be crappy to do it now in the middle of the season. Make sure to do it well in advance of next year.

I think what really bugs me, is that I don't have as much control over the property as I'd like; family land, working Christmas tree farm means people on it alot, so human pressure is almost unavoidable. But being able to limit hunting pressure is my one controllable. So when stuff like this happens it drives my control issues into overdrive. Lol

I’d enjoy hunting. Forget the thought that your friends may ruin your chances, enjoy the experience whatever it turns out to be. That’s me, doesn’t mean it’s the answer for you.
Yeah, I agree with you. The problem with me is that when I commit to something, I'm 110% in the game. Fatal flaw. So it's tough for me. As much as I love hunting and just being out in nature, sometimes I'll admit I take it way too seriously but, with home, work and family, it's my only alone time. So I'm pretty protective about it. Hopefully I'll grow outta that one day or maybe not. Lol

I think what really bugs me, is that I don't have as much control over the property as I'd like; family land, working Christmas tree farm means people on it alot, so human pressure is almost unavoidable. But being able to limit hunting pressure is my one controllable. So when stuff like this happens it drives my control issues into overdrive. Lol

In my experience though a property like that the pressure doesn't bother it as much. I know at home in PA there is alot of human intrusion on the property and the deer are used to it. Run them out of a field one night and they are back the next night. In contrast at camp, if I intrude down there it is sometimes a couple of days before the deer come back because they just aren't used to it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Can't say I've been in that kind of situation before but I do see how it could be frustrating. Obviously your buddy is a good friend or else you'd probably just tell him to piss off. So the way I see it, you have two options. Option 1 - You simply hunt a different area of the property. Use your buddy's extra pressure to your advantage, if that's even possible. If his pressure is having such a negative effect that the daytime activity as a whole is going down the shitter, then I think you go with Option 2 - Tell your buddy, as nicely as possible, that he's hurting the deer hunting and he needs to ease up. The shitty part is if your buddy is prone to getting butt-hurt, this may not go over with him very well. I don't envy your position that is for sure. Good luck man.

With Xmas trees and people cutting trees, I’d imagine late season would be key....
Yeah the issue is that end of October til black Friday is key. Little pressure. Lots of movement. Tree season destroys any chances due to thousands of people on the farm for a month straight. And people trampsing everywhere. The woods. My plots. Just what I have to deal with. So late season is also very tough cuz people have pushed everything but nocturnal here. It'll be different this year with some more late season food sources but, I'd rather not take my chances on that. Lol

When the rut activity is at it's height in my experience even overpressured areas are still good provided it is in a good spot in a pinch point or funnel between doe bedding areas.. I don't worry about overhunting a particular stand during that time of the year. Prior to that and after that I think pressure can be detrimental. Other people may have a different opinion on that but that is what I have experienced.

Reactions: hickslawns

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yeah, I agree with you. The problem with me is that when I commit to something, I'm 110% in the game. Fatal flaw. So it's tough for me. As much as I love hunting and just being out in nature, sometimes I'll admit I take it way too seriously but, with home, work and family, it's my only alone time. So I'm pretty protective about it. Hopefully I'll grow outta that one day or maybe not. Lol

I've been there. It is a constant struggle to overcome it. When I raced dirt bikes it took the fun out of it. If I didn't win I considered it a wasted weekend. Quit racing (because wife went back to college) and only trail ride randomly. It is thoroughly enjoyable.

Deer hunting has been the same in the past. I imposed so much self inflicted pressure it was sucking the fun out of it. Took a year off from cameras. Decided to shoot whatever tripped my trigger. Mind you this was following two seasons with 153/159" deer. I shot one that got me jacked up. Ended up being a 120" deer. I'm just as proud of that deer. Called him in. Was hunting old school. Had fun. I guess sometimes we just need to slow down and remind ourselves why we are hunting. Is it for inches of antler? Or simply to enjoy ourselves?