Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sharing hunting land..or not.

Floki

Thia is the case of the “Deer or to share” . From what I’ve learned as a landowner, hunter. I don’t own the Deer. Only my property. If I was in your shoes.

A high trafficked Xmas farm. A buddy who put his time in and helped me. My buddy would have free reign. “I don’t own the deer” the others who you give permission that don’t do anything more than show up and hunt a “few” times. Well they would be gone first. I wouldn’t ever blame my buddy for hunting as much he could. If he put time in. On a high trafficked area. Or a low pressure spot. Help is priceless.

Honestly I think this is a case of the”Deer or Share”Mind you my opinion is only worth my thoughts. I’m happy ya let others hunt by all means. Good luck.

Sometimes I think we give the deer more brain cells than they really have. I've never bought in to the idea that deer can be over pressured from hunting. On my tiny property we disturb deer at least three times a week during bow season. I drive my lawn tractor most of the way to my stands, my buddy is usually hunting when I do and he hunts almost to the back of my property. He will push every deer out of our woods going to his stand if any are bedded there. This ten acre property is only 320 foot wide at its widest point.

We still manage to see deer on a fairly consistent basis. And my area is by no means over ran with deer. I sat nine times this season without seeing a deer. I knew they were in the area, my thought was we just weren't at the same place at the same time. It is easy to say "Oh no, there on to me". I just can't buy in to this reasoning. A deer must eat and move from time to time regardless of our presence in his area.

My hunting buddy helps me do many things at the property that I can't do on my own. Without him I would most likely hunt much less or maybe not at all. He is a valuable asset, but above that a friend that has been through thick and thin along side me for over 40 years. We see eye to eye when it comes to deer hunting. We hold out for respectable bucks and don't shoot does. And I think like Floki, a good solid buck in his hands gives me as much enjoyment as one in my hands.

I'd handle your situation in a tender manner. If you feel the need to voice your concerns do it calmly and be ready to explain those concerns. But, don't fly off the handle if his thoughts differ from yours. Deer will come and go, but true friends are hard to come by.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
my dad has a friend that has hunted with us gun week for about 10 years hes never really bothered me much until last year, hadnt talked to us until the week before gun season. dad still let him hunt and he shot at almost everything that came by and never hit anything. now i wouldnt have a problem with it but since we have lost some land the last few years we hunt my dads more than we did. i made the decision this year and told him we didnt have enough open spots for him. its a little different since your buddy has helped you out a bunch, but id just tell him what you want to do. i take hunting pretty serious but we have alot of fun with it at the same time. hopefully you get it figured out.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Sometimes I think we give the deer more brain cells than they really have. I've never bought in to the idea that deer can be over pressured from hunting. On my tiny property we disturb deer at least three times a week during bow season. I drive my lawn tractor most of the way to my stands, my buddy is usually hunting when I do and he hunts almost to the back of my property. He will push every deer out of our woods going to his stand if any are bedded there. This ten acre property is only 320 foot wide at its widest point.

We still manage to see deer on a fairly consistent basis. And my area is by no means over ran with deer. I sat nine times this season without seeing a deer. I knew they were in the area, my thought was we just weren't at the same place at the same time. It is easy to say "Oh no, there on to me". I just can't buy in to this reasoning. A deer must eat and move from time to time regardless of our presence in his area.

My hunting buddy helps me do many things at the property that I can't do on my own. Without him I would most likely hunt much less or maybe not at all. He is a valuable asset, but above that a friend that has been through thick and thin along side me for over 40 years. We see eye to eye when it comes to deer hunting. We hold out for respectable bucks and don't shoot does. And I think like Floki, a good solid buck in his hands gives me as much enjoyment as one in my hands.

I'd handle your situation in a tender manner. If you feel the need to voice your concerns do it calmly and be ready to explain those concerns. But, don't fly off the handle if his thoughts differ from yours. Deer will come and go, but true friends are hard to come by.
👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼