Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shotgun season...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
What are you going to use for gun week? I enjoy my time with my 870 but I think I am going a different route...Ruger GP100.

The first day and Saturday I will be in the stand with my muzzy. Inbetween the gp100 is going to be nice to carry. Can't decide if I want to scope it or not.

Beentown

Matt

Norton, OH
Depends on what I decide to do, and if I end up having to loan out my shotty to JMMyers or not. If I sit, I have the muzzy, and I usually set up with a few long shots (about 250 yds) or if I am walking, I will take the Mossy 535.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Dang. Hadn't given it any thought till now. Not feeling strongly about the inline,44 or shot gun.
I'm still playing with the recurve or compound...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I will have a tv remote in my hand during the week of gun season. I just don't get into it like some of you guys. Maybe it's because I've never been involved in a deer camp, or hunting with a group of guys. I use to gun hunt with my father every year, but he doesn't hunt out home anymore. If he asked me to do some gun hunting with him, I would for old times sake, but I just don't get any enjoyment out of gun hunting on my own. I just don't get fired up for it like I do bow season, not trying to be an Elitist, just how I truely feel.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I will have a tv remote in my hand during the week of gun season. I just don't get into it like some of you guys. Maybe it's because I've never been involved in a deer camp, or hunting with a group of guys. I use to gun hunt with my father every year, but he doesn't hunt out home anymore. If he asked me to do some gun hunting with him, I would for old times sake, but I just don't get any enjoyment out of gun hunting on my own. I just don't get fired up for it like I do bow season, not trying to be an Elitist, just how I truely feel.

that's cool, I respect that.

My shotgun choice that week will depend on where I'm hunting...If I'm somewhere where I will have a longer shot opportunity I'll use my Mossberg 500 w/rifled barrel. If I end up in closer woods I'm gonna use my singleshot 20ga with sluggers...never got any blood on that gun yet.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My TC Omega will be in Monday or Tuesday. I have never struck blood with a muzzy. Never had a shot while in the stand with one for that matter. I am planning on at least taking a doe with one. Hope to have a buck before then but you never know. I kinda enjoy the change of pace when gun season rolls around.

Matt

Norton, OH
Once gun rolls around, my blood lust kinda peeks and I am ready to do some slaying. I dropped 2 with the muzzy last year and it felt great, one at about 200-225, and the other at about 100-125. Coulda had a third after the 125 yd. one but I forgot my speed loaders at home and couldn't reload fast enough. Dang doe ran straight at me to within 5 yards.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio

Well fugg you, don't eat any of the fish the second weekend of gun then:smiley_adfundum:

I got out of gun hunting much until the kids were old enough to go with me. It is so much easier to have some hope of seeing deer consistantly and possibly killing one with a gun and kids.

That being said I normally hunt with my 870 fitted with a Hastings barrel and decent scope. If Hunter is not going and I am sitting in a stand I take his muzzy. We bought that from JJ a few years back and that thing is a killer. Hunter has killed at least two with that rig:smiley_carnaval:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Once gun rolls around, my blood lust kinda peeks and I am ready to do some slaying. I dropped 2 with the muzzy last year and it felt great, one at about 200-225, and the other at about 100-125. Coulda had a third after the 125 yd. one but I forgot my speed loaders at home and couldn't reload fast enough. Dang doe ran straight at me to within 5 yards.

Bayonet.
Just sayin...

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
20 GA 870 wingmaster with rifled barrel OR TC inline. Depends if im hunting in open hardwoods or field, vs the thick and nasty. Thick and nasty.... i tote the 20 GA

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
If I happen to venture out during gun season or is that gun law week :D I will be going with the Winchester 1300 :D

I kind of lost the love for slug season over the years since my dad past away and the friends I hunted with all moved out of state. I was left with hunting by myself and being an odd man out can put yourself in some tricky spots sometimes. Being as I was hunting alone nobody that hunted the neighboring properties knew anybody was there so they just used my direction as a "SAFE" direction to shoot toward.

Now if an opportunity was to come up and have a camp I would for sure go in a heartbeat :D.

rrr

Remington 870, shooting the cheap sluggers. Couldn't hit crap with it for a long time but now am golden...to 50 yards :D hahaha it's not quite that bad, but I have missed more than I've made with that gun.

Depending on the situation, the Genesis might come during gun season, but obviously for smokepole. Need to get a scope on that.

I usaly have the Knight Disk rifle sighted in , but the last 2 years I didn't use it

I hunt with the Ruger Super Redhawlk in 454
With the 11/87 ready if I have to go after someone else's wounded deer

John