Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Should Ohio put a bounty on Coyotes?

Should Ohio put a bounty on Coyotes?

• Total voters

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Conventional wisdom says they're killing our fawns, killing our turkeys, killing our rabbits....

Is it time for a bounty?
Would you be more motivated to spent time yote hunting if there were a bounty?

Do you think they're not the problem everyone makes them out to be?

CdBurner

here in harrison county they are a huge problem , you see em all over the place , but i dont think they wanna spend the money out for a bounty

I am surprised you say that. I haven't hunted but maybe 30 days the last 2 years total in Harrison and haven't seen, heard, found a track, of a coyote. Also, I've been running 5 trail cams for 2 years and only have 2 foxes and zero coyotes on mine.

I'm not doubting you, just saying it seems like there are not many where I am at. Now Washington county PA, that's a whole different story.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Yotes have all but decimated our rabbit population in Washington County. They also have an impact on the deer population, although I cannot make an educated guess on what the actual impact is. I do know that they turkey population seems to be fine, but I still find the occassional dead thunder chicken surrounded by yote tracks. I believe there needs to be a bounty on them, one that makes it worthwhile to hunters who might not hunt for them normally.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
This is simply not going to happen......and here is why....the DNR wants deer numbers reduced, therefore they would never incentivise hunters to go and kill the whitetail deers number 2 predator next to man......

Hell, up here in the NW part of the state the DNR will respond to coyote hunting complaints and follow up on them WAY more often and quicker than deer hunting complaints!!! Now somebody explain that to me.....

But to answer the original question, I voted NO, I don't think they are out of control, at least around my area of the state. Sure, there are coyotes here and there, but they are not even close to being out of control thanks to a few guys that like to hunt them from December to February. You still have to cover a lot of territory to find one or 2 around here most of the time and some days you can't find any.

I can imagine in the more forested areas of the state that they could really explode in numbers because of how hard they are to kill and how they reproduce.

Maybe they could split the state into coyote bounty zones just like deer zones??

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It is a fact that a breeding pair of yotes can kill as many as 13 fawns a year..

I am surprised you say that. I haven't hunted but maybe 30 days the last 2 years total in Harrison and haven't seen, heard, found a track, of a coyote. Also, I've been running 5 trail cams for 2 years and only have 2 foxes and zero coyotes on mine.

I'm not doubting you, just saying it seems like there are not many where I am at. Now Washington county PA, that's a whole different story.

if i remember right your not far from hopedale , ill make you a deal , ill pay for you to fish with me at the pay lake this summer , ill bring a siren and set it off just about dark , and whatch your hair stand straight up on the back of your neck when the whole valley is on fire with coyote howls , seriously its funner then shit

CdBurner

if i remember right your not far from hopedale , ill make you a deal , ill pay for you to fish with me at the pay lake this summer , ill bring a siren and set it off just about dark , and whatch your hair stand straight up on the back of your neck when the whole valley is on fire with coyote howls , seriously its funner then shit

Sounds good, accept I'll pay for you.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I'll put these observations/questions out there ('cause I'd really like to learn)
1) Are the coyotes we see indigenous to Ohio? Or transplants?
2) When did the population start exploding?
3) Do they give farmers much trouble killing chickens and smaller livestock?
4) I know they kill pets, turkeys, deer, rabbits and other small game....but do they really kill so much as to affect game levels. Is there any science on this?

Common sense tells me they needz to be eradicated....I've seen turkey kills and the effects of their scavenging on deer carcasses....and seen plenty of scat with what looked like deer hair in it.

Boba Fett....lol

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I'll put these observations/questions out there ('cause I'd really like to learn)
1) Are the coyotes we see indigenous to Ohio? Or transplants?
2) When did the population start exploding?
3) Do they give farmers much trouble killing chickens and smaller livestock?
4) I know they kill pets, turkeys, deer, rabbits and other small game....but do they really kill so much as to affect game levels. Is there any science on this?

Common sense tells me they needz to be eradicated....I've seen turkey kills and the effects of their scavenging on deer carcasses....and seen plenty of scat with what looked like deer hair in it.

Boba Fett....lol

Coyotes are not indigenous to Ohio. Their range steadily increased as settlers killed off wolf populations. That's how coyotes expanded their range all the way to the Eastern US. By 1900, they were in Northwest Ohio and by 1990 they were all the way to the Atlantic. There's a very good article in this months American Hunter. The only time I have seen a live coyote, is almost hitting them running across roads. I know that there is a pack near a property I hunt, because you can hear them towards dusk. It's pretty nuts.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I know the Government had a bounty on them YEARS ago but I don't think we will ever see it again.

In my observations of the woods I hunt over the past few years they have recked havoc on the rabbits,Turkeys, and groundhogs (Groundhogs are ok for them to eat but takes out some of my off season fun) I don't know what impact they have had on the deer but I do know they follow and keep a close eye on them. I heard 2 barking and seen one of them chase 2 deer out of the CRP field and across the road last year. Those deer where full grown so I can only guess they wouldn't hesitate killing and eating one if given a chance.

I am hoping the one animal that they would put a dent in the population in would be the raccoons around here lol. I'm sure a few have been picked off but not nearly enough if you ask me :D.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I voted no, yeah there are problem areas and you'll always have problem areas with predators no mattre what you do... You put a bounty on them who's footing the bill for it? Where's the money coming from? Jump in user fees to offset the cost of it? What about all the areas that in the metropolitan areas where the yotes are feasting on the little pets of the suburbiniates? Lots of questions but most of all where's the money going to be generated to pay for it????? Not even going to get into the slobs who'll turn it into the wild wild west thing, and you'll always have them too....

Schu72

Streetsboro
I saw 3 during gun season. One that was almost completely black in Egypt valley WA. And I saw two mostly light gray ones in Geagua county on Saturday. I see a few every year. We even have them here in the burbs. I saw two driving to work the other moring, just outside Akron. I definatley think they need thinned down.

Almost forgot to mention, someone in Egypt valley shot one and hung it from a fence post near the tailwaters of Piedmont Lake off co rd 100. Quite a site to see....

I saw 3 during gun season. One that was almost completely black in Egypt valley WA. And I saw two mostly light gray ones in Geagua county on Saturday. I see a few every year. We even have them here in the burbs. I saw two driving to work the other moring, just outside Akron. I definatley think they need thinned down.

Almost forgot to mention, someone in Egypt valley shot one and hung it from a fence post near the tailwaters of Piedmont Lake off co rd 100. Quite a site to see....

lmao ... there has been many shot and hung from fences around piedmont lake , the black one was it near rock hill road area i seen a black and to blondes there last year

Schu72

Streetsboro
lmao ... there has been many shot and hung from fences around piedmont lake , the black one was it near rock hill road area i seen a black and to blondes there last year

It was right near the tailwaters off CR 100. If you drew a line from the Kirwood Cemetary to the tailwaters, it was about the mid point.

The one on the post was on the big bend on 100 also near the tailwaters.

Last edited: