Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shoulder surgery….anyone been through it?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Another thing your going to need to help with at home therapy is an over the door pulley. I have it posted in one of the above threads. It was a huge help for me in getting my range of motion back.

It took me a year to build my shoulder strength and rotation back up but I can use my compound. I don't shoot the poundage I use to just to help with wear and tear on my shoulder but it's still an option I can shoot when I go to the woods.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
I have rotator and bicep tears and will be having surgery in January. Any advice for those who have had it done?
I have had both shoulders done, not gonna sugarcoat it, it sucks. Torn subscap, and torn bicep 3 years ago.

The other shoulder I had torn bicep, torn rotator cuff, and torn subscap. I had surgery on August 29 this year, I am feeling great now.

Get the nerve block, it is great for 2-3 days, mine lasted about 64 hours.

If the hospital has an ice therapy machine get it, helps tons and is way better than a bag that you put ice in.

I also hate pain meds, but you need to take them, just stay under 7 days. I am very blessed that I didn't have much pain.

A power recliner is great, I slept in mine about 10 weeks.

find lots of stuff to read and watch

the major concern is the bicep, it is very easy to retear it.

do all the therapy, it will help greatly to get your full range of motion back.

Is your hand you write with? Learning to feed yourself with the other hand and wipe your butt sucks. Lol

Clay Showalter

Guilford County
I had both done about 12 years ago. 7 tears in the right and 5 in the left. They also ground down some bone spurs and scar tissue, it was not fun.

The pain block worked great on the first one, the second it did not work at all. I had to take oxy before I could leave the hospital, the pain was pretty bad.

My advice would be to get a good recliner to sleep in, that helped me a lot. Do the physical therapy and like others said take the pain meds 30 minutes prior. Plan on losing 10-20% arm strength, I never really got back to 100%. Had to switch to an xbow, just not worth tearing them up again trying to shoot a compound.

As bad as they hurt prior to surgery I would 100% do it again. When I was fully recovered from both I said to the surgeon, "good as new right?" He said "you fucked up the shoulders god gave you, do I look like a miracle worker? If you don't change your lifestyle I will see you back here for a total replacement in less than 20 years" He was right, I kept beating them and am likely going to have them done again in the next 5 years. So my best advice would be to take care of them and not try and be superman when they are done.
Talk to your therapist about pain meds, I wanted to take them but they said not to because they don't want you pushing too far

Smawgunner2

Athens County
Thanks for all the tips. It's my left arm thankfully but I did source out a used ice machine, have a recliner, ordered a bidet for the toilet 😆, and buying a bell to summons the wife although I think she should pick it out 😂😆🤣....she's gonna want a divorce when it's all said and done. I'm cleared to drive but I can't see shutting the door with my left arm in a sling....that's gonna suck. They are doing a nerve block and I'm on board with that. I had one with my hernia.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Thanks for all the tips. It's my left arm thankfully but I did source out a used ice machine, have a recliner, ordered a bidet for the toilet 😆, and buying a bell to summons the wife although I think she should pick it out 😂😆🤣....she's gonna want a divorce when it's all said and done. I'm cleared to drive but I can't see shutting the door with my left arm in a sling....that's gonna suck. They are doing a nerve block and I'm on board with that. I had one with my hernia.
Get some paracord for the car door. Tie it to the door and pull it closed with the good arm.

Do you wear a belt? That was another fun thing to get that through the loops lol.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Put the belt on before you put your pants on. Also there are some belts that are easier than your standard style belts.
Learned real quick to add the belt before putting pants on. Once I was allowed to move my arm and had the sling off it still took awhile to get my labrum to allow enough rotation to get that back same side loop lol

Reactions: Smawgunner2

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

Sauger

Warsaw
Agree 100 percent with everyone on here. I forgot about the car door and seat belt. Both of them sucked. I remember with my right arm my wife had to help me
with a shower the first time or two. The left was eaiser since it was my non dominate. But the recovery took longer for my left. I truly believe it's from not using it like the dominate. Could be wrong.

Clay Showalter

Guilford County
I wouldn't drive, you can jerk in response to something happening and that can hurt it. IMHO

I also had to learn to put the belt through my pants before putting them on.

a biggie is to have support under your arm no matter where you are, recliner, chair, riding in a car.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
One of the smartest things I did before my surgery was set up the beat lab to make things easier. Meaning any stuff I needed was at belly button level and I put in a big vise to work on stuff one handed.

Putting on the high vis vest for jobsite visits was hell, I was always tangled up in that fuggar. Foremen that liked me fixed it for me before I walked the site. The foremen that hated me let me wander around with it all tangled up like winder licker. fun times

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That reminds me. Buy some much larger shirts. Makes it easier to put on. Practice by bending at the waist to 90° and let your arm dangle and put that arm in 1st. Then you can stand up and use your good arm to pull the shirt the rest of the way up and pull it over your head. Then slide your other arm in. They can/ should teach you how to do that in therapy so you don't hurt yourself.

Smawgunner2

Athens County
Day 3 P.O. Nerve block has worn off so the pain train is pulling in. Trying to stay ahead of it. Pain now is about a 3. It's not too bad so far, just irritating without the use of one arm. Going to take my first shower today and try and get out for a walk.
Surgeon put in 4 anchors, 2 for a bicep tear...doc told my wife it was pretty frayed, and 2 for the rotator cuff. No idea how many incisions were made...I'll look this afternoon. Prett looped up on oxy right now. Thanks for all the tips, it's helped me prepare.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Nice update. A little more hardware than I was expecting. Take it easy and take your time and don't overdue it. Keep on top of pain meds for a couple more days and start to back down slowly. You'll get to the point you can just take them right before therapy. Speaking of that when do you start?

Reactions: hickslawns

Smawgunner2

Athens County
Nice update. A little more hardware than I was expecting. Take it easy and take your time and don't overdue it. Keep on top of pain meds for a couple more days and start to back down slowly. You'll get to the point you can just take them right before therapy. Speaking of that when do you start?
My follow up is Wednesday. Prolly know then.

Reactions: RedCloud

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'll second this. My mom thought she was good. Wasn't taking the pain meds. Block wore off and she was hurting bad. Stay ahead of the pain with the pain meds as doctor ordered. They prescribe them for a reason.

This from a guy who hates pain meds (any meds). 🤷🏻‍♂️