Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shoulder surgery….anyone been through it?

Johnny44

I am no help. I had Labrum done when I was in high school and did PT with Blaine Wilson (gymnast) who had just had his rotator done. He was doing a handstand, in the middle of the room, and push-ups without his feet touching when I met him. One of the coolest displays of strength and athleticism I have seen in person.

Reactions: Smawgunner2

P8riot

Carbon, In
My dad had his rotator cuff done. He said it wasn't a big deal. Oddly enough he also has a torn bicep. That one he hasn't done anything with. From what I understand, it isn't necessary in some instances to repair it.

steveOh

Dayton Area
Been there done that. Shoulder hurt when I laid horizontal, I had to sleep in a recliner for months. Do the therapy, hurts but helps in the long run. Take pain meds before therapy.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I have rotator and bicep tears and will be having surgery in January. Any advice for those who have had it done?
If it's your dominant arm start using the other arm to practice wiping now. Get your physical therapy lined up as soon as you can. Do the at home exercises they tell you to do (frozen shoulder is no joke) pain meds are prescribed for a reason so take them. I always made sure I had taken one about 30 minutes before therapy so they would be working during and after my session.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Having had my rotator cuff, bicep tendon, and labrum all repaired as well as having my clavicle shaved down I can tell you my experience but everyone has a different recovery.

Are they sewing the bicep tendon into the rotator cuff and reattaching with an anchor? The other option is to just cut the bicep tendon and let it go. Side effect from that is 10% loss of strength and the possibility of what they call Popeye arm.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
You’ll have to sleep in a recliner for a few months. Also, DO NOT push yourself with the torn bicep. Once they repair it, if you overdo it lifting stuff while it is still healing, you may tear it from its anchor. The doctor told me that if you tear it from its anchor, you will have a “Popeye” look on your arm and there isn’t a way to fix it. I had a 95% tear on my bicep, and it was torn at the top as opposed to the bottom (where most tears occur). After hearing that, I took it easy and when lifting stuff, if you feel pain, stop lifting. You’ll eventually get there. Therapy is very important as they will know how hard to push you in recovery. At first, you won’t even be able to lift a cup of coffee with the affected arm. A year after surgery, you won’t have any pain at all, but you will notice a loss of strength, and I don’t think that will ever come back. The rotator cuff recovery isn’t as bad and it’ll feel as good as new. Good luck.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
You’ll have to sleep in a recliner for a few months. Also, DO NOT push yourself with the torn bicep. Once they repair it, if you overdo it lifting stuff while it is still healing, you may tear it from its anchor. The doctor told me that if you tear it from its anchor, you will have a “Popeye” look on your arm and there isn’t a way to fix it. I had a 95% tear on my bicep, and it was torn at the top as opposed to the bottom (where most tears occur). After hearing that, I took it easy and when lifting stuff, if you feel pain, stop lifting. You’ll eventually get there. Therapy is very important as they will know how hard to push you in recovery. At first, you won’t even be able to lift a cup of coffee with the affected arm. A year after surgery, you won’t have any pain at all, but you will notice a loss of strength, and I don’t think that will ever come back. The rotator cuff recovery isn’t as bad and it’ll feel as good as new. Good luck.
I slept on my couch for maybe a week. We didn't have a recliner at the time. Figured out that if I laid a pillow down along my side to keep my arm from falling down beside me I could sleep in bed on my back. Hooked a rope to the bottom of the footboard so I could pull with my other arm and help get to a sitting position. I then could turn and get my legs on the floor to stand up.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
For the surgery if they offer you a block (and unless you have a lot of other medical issues they SHOULD) take it. If they know how to do one you should be virtually pain free for the first 24-36 hours if not out to 48+.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
After I flew from a tree I started my therapy at about the midway point for those that had that surgery. I saw what their rehab was at the beginning. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Stay patient, it’s going to be a long process. A good buddy had that exact surgery 2 weeks ago.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
For the surgery if they offer you a block (and unless you have a lot of other medical issues they SHOULD) take it. If they know how to do one you should be virtually pain free for the first 24-36 hours if not out to 48+.
They offered me a block but after hearing the possible side effects (can’t remember what they were) I decided against it. I’m also leery of pain meds but I did take the meds for the first day or two, then nothing. Really only felt pain when I would try to use the arm.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I had the nerve block done and had no problems with it. If you have a good anesthesiologist you should be fine. I trusted mine as I went to high school with the guy. With the amount of things being fixed I wanted every advantage I could get to get ahead of the pain that would surely follow. If it would have been just tissue fixing I would have skipped it but knowing bone was going to be involved made my decision easier. Bone pain is completely different and lasts longer in my opinion.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
I've only had an ACL done a few years ago. Best I can tell you: Prepare for a fever and or pain once the pain blockers wear off the first night/day. Minimize narcotic pain killers, only use if absolutely necessary. I switched to ibuprofen after day two. Take your PT seriously. Good luck and keep us posted.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I had both done about 12 years ago. 7 tears in the right and 5 in the left. They also ground down some bone spurs and scar tissue, it was not fun.

The pain block worked great on the first one, the second it did not work at all. I had to take oxy before I could leave the hospital, the pain was pretty bad.

My advice would be to get a good recliner to sleep in, that helped me a lot. Do the physical therapy and like others said take the pain meds 30 minutes prior. Plan on losing 10-20% arm strength, I never really got back to 100%. Had to switch to an xbow, just not worth tearing them up again trying to shoot a compound.

As bad as they hurt prior to surgery I would 100% do it again. When I was fully recovered from both I said to the surgeon, "good as new right?" He said "you fucked up the shoulders god gave you, do I look like a miracle worker? If you don't change your lifestyle I will see you back here for a total replacement in less than 20 years" He was right, I kept beating them and am likely going to have them done again in the next 5 years. So my best advice would be to take care of them and not try and be superman when they are done.

Sauger

Warsaw
I had both mine done in 2016. Some very ggood advice. recovery was not terrible other than learning to use your nondominate hand for everything. I think the worst for me was the shaved armpit pinned to your side. A cool wash cloth will become your friend. I had my biceps cut and pinned to my bone. That for me comes with challenges, my arms get tired pretty fast. I no longer use a compound bow. (I did pull one back this past fall and may rethink this). When mine started waking me up at night thats when I decided it was time. Like most said practice with your other hand and learn to use it. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. AAlso get the ice machine......it becomes like the wash cloth, it's a must have

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
They offered me a block but after hearing the possible side effects (can’t remember what they were) I decided against it. I’m also leery of pain meds but I did take the meds for the first day or two, then nothing. Really only felt pain when I would try to use the arm.

I do these blocks as well as many others and have taught them. When in competent and skilled hands the advantages of the nerve block is minimal to no pain for the next 24-36-48+ hrs depending on the numbing medication and additives used. Disadvantages would be:
Small risk of infection because they are piercing the skin but they should use at least a aseptic technique to minimize this.
There is a needle involved but they should be able to sedate you somewhat to balance it out.
Small risk of damage to the nerves and other structures in your neck - skill of provider dependent
Small risk of it not working completely meaning that they miss some nerves or the surgeon does more work than anticipated and the block doesn't cover it all - well some is better than none and a good anesthesia provider should be able to go back in and touch it up if the pain is that bad (I've done it multiple times)
For the nerves in the shoulder the additional things are that those nerves run close to the ones for your lungs so you can occasionally feel short of breath if they accidentally numb those also until it wears off, but unless your have bad lung disease most people wouldn't even notice it, also a thing called horners syndrome is possible but highly unlikely unless you're provider is using techniques and amounts of numbing medications i haven't used in the last 5-8 years and that is an annoyance but also wears off as the block wears off.

I had both done about 12 years ago. 7 tears in the right and 5 in the left. They also ground down some bone spurs and scar tissue, it was not fun.

The pain block worked great on the first one, the second it did not work at all. I had to take oxy before I could leave the hospital, the pain was pretty bad.
If the block didn't work at all then you unfortunately had a provider that didn't put the numbing medication in the correct spot, especially if it had worked on the other side. I'm sorry about that. I routinely do these procedures with absolutely no narcotics needed by the patient for their entire hospital or surgery center time. The blocks decrease the amount of anesthesia needed so much that the patients are often leaving well under an hour after they are done, just get some vital signs, a snack, change into street clothes and head home.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
If I remember correctly there are a few of us who have had this done in the past few years and we have our threads up. I'll see if I can find a couple to link so you can read those. Like others have said if you have any other questions feel free to pm or post it up here and we will do our best to answer them.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio