Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Show us your sugaring

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
This is my 3rd year sugaring. 1st year 5 taps just for our own use. 2nd year 30 taps and had some to sell. This year 80 taps. I cheat on the boiling, a neighbor does it on shares(1/2).
699EE882-12DE-4357-96A5-A8545A35B8D3.jpeg
D5A4EB86-697F-456C-9260-B1871352B68D.jpeg
24A57C7C-BB52-4410-8B03-4679A942AA1B.jpeg

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Looks good. The woods on my property are virtually all uphill from my current house. The long term plan is to turn my current house into "my" barn/workshop/butcher shop etc. I have a lot of sugar maples in the woods and my brother wants to tap them and let it run downhill into the house and set up a sugar shack. This is at least 2-3 years away but i look forward to learning on here.

We have some neighbors that do it big time that I'll probably also pick their brain.

I'd only want to do it for personal family use and to make maple sugar for curing.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I wish I could run tubing through the woods but my maples are in small patches spread around the farm. The first 2 pics I posted are 6-700 yards from the 3rd one.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
So you guys are making your own sugar?
Maple syrup. I've not read up on maple sugar, is that a thing?

Wife and I were with a bunch of old people on a bus tour of Northeast for fall foliage, one of the stops was a maple syrup farm. Been doing a a gallon or two every year since. Fun hobby, and the syrup is better than that corn shit ya buy in the store.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
But like venison, homemade syrup can be very expensive ounce per ounce, gotta do it for the love of it. Plus it's a great shtf skill and capability to have. Pretty easy.
And if you wanted to do it on the cheap, you could, just not as easily.
I doubt I'll make money this year even without having the expense of the evaporator and everything that goes with it.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Propane be expensive. And ya gotta boil 40 gallons of sap to make a gallon of syrup. A big flat shallow pan is a lot faster/better than a regular stock pot like what comes with a turkey fryer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5Cent and Ohiosam

Bowkills

Nw oh
Theres way to much to do in life. I tapped my few maples and a few at my friends house 2 seasons. Its worth the effort but its just another some day thing ill have time to do it later i hope. That list is a mile long and never gets any shorter. Tap on.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Maple syrup. I've not read up on maple sugar, is that a thing?

Wife and I were with a bunch of old people on a bus tour of Northeast for fall foliage, one of the stops was a maple syrup farm. Been doing a a gallon or two every year since. Fun hobby, and the syrup is better than that corn shit ya buy in the store.
Maple sugar is made by boiling the syrup down even further until its crystals.
Propane be expensive. And ya gotta boil 40 gallons of sap to make a gallon of syrup. A big flat shallow pan is a lot faster/better than a regular stock pot like what comes with a turkey fryer.
The people near us that do it had a gas evaporator but got rid of it, they say the flavor is better with wood. I'll trust them because theirs is darn good.