Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shroom ID Thread

Jamie

Ohio
yes, that is COTW. don't pick it, cut it, leaving the base attached to the stump. they do grow fast, but don't last long. I'd wait another day or two, but not much more. my hesitation to cut my stash cost me as they had passed their prime in 5 days after I found them. I suspect that they were at their peak when I first found them.

Reactions: Floki

Floki

yes, that is COTW. don't pick it, cut it, leaving the base attached to the stump. they do grow fast, but don't last long. I'd wait another day or two, but not much more. my hesitation to cut my stash cost me as they had passed their prime in 5 days after I found them. I suspect that they were at their peak when I first found them.

These are all over at my place. This one just so happens to be in my yard.I know to cut it off at base. It’s young,tho so should I harvest the whole thing or just cut edges. I’ve seen the older or bigger ones they just cut off the edges/two inches or so?

Jamie

Ohio
young ones are the best. if you gonna cut it, I'd cut the whole thing. cut the edges on the bigger ones. once they get big, they start getting tough, but the edges stay tender longer.

Hunter II

Found 8 of these
IMG_1185.JPG

Buckmaster

Portage
I took a walk in the woods behind my house yesterday. I saw about 10,000 mushrooms of all shapes, colors, and sizes.

….if only I knew which ones are edibles.

It must be prime time for fall shrooms.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
IMG_3755.JPG
IMG_3756.JPG

My son and I found this large shroom growing on a live tree about 10’ up when we were hunting a few years ago. Looked like oysters from below. I broke it off and it was a solid ball. I examined it closely and broke it in half. Not knowing if it was edible, I threw it on the ground and got out the woods.

Couple days later I posted it on another hunting site and was told it’s lions mane mushroom. Edible and tastes like lobster and scallops when fried. Damn I was disappointed.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I'm skeered of eat'n that stuff. Usually I wait till some one else eats some, give it a half hour then dig in!

I bought a book. I learned a lot. They claim ALL shrooms have some level of toxicity and to eat just a very small portion of collected shrooms first.

I also learned enough to not mess with most of them as there are clones in some types that’s very toxic. Most of the bad ones grow out of the ground. Best to find a friend that has been collecting and learn from them.

Reactions: Sgt Fury and Stump

Stump

Ass Regulator
I bought a book. I learned a lot. They claim ALL shrooms have some level of toxicity and to eat just a very small portion of collected shrooms first.

I also learned enough to not mess with most of them as there are clones in some types that’s very toxic. Most of the bad ones grow out of the ground. Best to find a friend that has been collecting and learn from them.

Best to find a friend that will take the first bite! ;)