Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Simmons sharks

Diablo54

Outside
Any of you trad guys shoot these? We have killed 2 deer with them this year and neither of them went past 75 yards but the blood trails were crap both times. Jw..

Milo

Tatonka guide.
nope i use magnus 1's 2 blade 160's have always had decent trails. i do like a 3 blade but the bow i hunt with now does not allow me to use a 3 blade.

Diablo54

Outside
They are giant heads and they leave good holes but very little blood for some reason maybe it was just a coincidence with these two deer.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Did you get pass throughs? where did you hit them? I was struggling to get them killin sharp for a few years and that helped my trails..

Diablo54

Outside
First went from guts to liver. I wasn't expecting much blood form that but that was a pretty tuff track job. We would go 20 yards before finding blood again. (pass thru)

Second went from 3rd to last rib to right behind the shoulder almost a textbook shot (pass thru)

third went right through neck :smiley_armscrossed: good blood on that one and dead within 100 yards. (pass thru)

We get these heads scary sharp with our wheely sharpener.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
First went from guts to liver. I wasn't expecting much blood form that but that was a pretty tuff track job. We would go 20 yards before finding blood again. (pass thru)

Second went from 3rd to last rib to right behind the shoulder almost a textbook shot (pass thru)

third went right through neck :smiley_armscrossed: good blood on that one and dead within 100 yards. (pass thru)

We get these heads scary sharp with our wheely sharpener.

yeah that is what i started using too. you have the one on a grinder or buffer right? that is kind of the bitch with 2 blades at times. clotting or debris in the wound channel can stop the flow up some.

Diablo54

Outside
like this

Attachments

• Sharp.jpg
    Sharp.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 156

Milo

Tatonka guide.
thats the recommended by them isn't it? I use a grinder setup. i will try to find a pic

Diablo54

Outside
Ours get pretty sharp with the wheely and a piece of cardboard or leather.
Have you taken any deer with a simmons?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
like this

Holy shit. I use the same sharpener when I'm in a pinch and don't have time to do it on a stone. We keep one of those down in the skinning and quartering cellar. Gets a knife razor sharp in only 3-4 passes.

Diablo54

Outside
A snuffer will do some serious damage to a deer I don't like shooting them out of my 46lb bow though.

Jack last night i had my knife sharp and ready to help skin dads deer in less then 5 swipes with that thing