Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Skull cap help needed!

Didn't see a taxidermy forum so taking a shot putting this here...

Shot an 8-point on Saturday morning on Central Ohio public land. Took it to the processor and requested the head back for a Euro mount...they must not read English because I went to pickup yesterday and got only the skull cap back. Was planning on doing the Euro mount myself (the boil and peel method, which I've never done before). Since I only got a skull cap back I'm not sure how, if at all, it needs to be treated differently? It still has hair/skin on it. Does this need peeled off? Can I just set it in borax for a few weeks and then mount as is? Any help would be great.

Reactions: Wildlife

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I’ve seen skull caps with the hair still attached but they were always laying in a barn or something. If you want to display it you should remove the hair and meat, I’d think. Congratulations on the deer.

I’ve seen skull caps with the hair still attached but they were always laying in a barn or something. If you want to display it you should remove the hair and meat, I’d think. Congratulations on the deer.
Thanks...after seeing some of the pics from you, Spencie, and others in the live from the stand thread and your personal hunt journals I'm a little sheepish to share the pics, despite it being the biggest deer I've shot with a bow.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Thanks...after seeing some of the pics from you, Spencie, and others in the live from the stand thread and your personal hunt journals I'm a little sheepish to share the pics, despite it being the biggest deer I've shot with a bow.

Nonsense! A trophy is in the eye of the beholder and everyone loves seeing dead deer! Any self ritious prick that would ridicule you for your buck wouldn't find this place much fun after that. Share away man.

As for the skull cap. If you're going to display it indoors you'll want to get the hair and meat off. You can start with a knife and a pair of pliers or a put of boiling water and submerge just to just before the base of the pedicle. They make some pretty cool skull mount options.

Screenshot_20201103-101831_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20201103-101649_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Joe's right - every deer is a trophy, don't hold back sharing - let us share your success!!
My tiny little 6 point this year is HUGE even though he ain't huge - it's all about the hunt!

EDIT: HELL YEAH, that's a nice deer! and a nice box of MEAT!
Cut as much of the hair/fat off as you can before boiling, the less on there the better it goes.
Those kits look pretty cool.

Congrats again on a fine deer.

Last edited:
Joe's right - every deer is a trophy, don't hold back sharing - let us share your success!!
My tiny little 6 point this year is HUGE even though he ain't huge - it's all about the hunt!

EDIT: HELL YEAH, that's a nice deer! and a nice box of MEAT!
Cut as much of the hair/fat off as you can before boiling, the less on there the better it goes.
Those kits look pretty cool.

Congrats again on a fine deer.
Thanks! Only, and I mean only, downside to shooting something with antlers this early in the season is now I have no excuse to give the wife to get out of the house :(

We used to do our bucks the way you were given. Clean off all the skin, hair and meat. Put Borax on the base for a couple weeks or if you were like my dad, throw it on the work bench for a year til all the bugs cleaned it off well LOL. We would then make a wood block to fit inside the brain cavity, shape it with a file. Attach the skull cap to the wood block with a couple screws pre-drilled through the skull. We then would use burlap, brown vinyl, some sort of fabric and wrap the skull/base and tuck underneath and then screw that wood block to a plaque pinching the fabric in between.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Heck of a nice deer! There ain’t no shame in any deer game!
Personally, I prefer the plaque mounts like Geezer pictured. I just like that style more than the Europeans, maybe because that’s what everyone did back in the day. I’ve got a couple of them but usually I cut the horns of and forget to get around to finishing the project. 😁