Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Skull cap help needed!

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Heck of a nice deer! There ain’t no shame in any deer game!
Personally, I prefer the plaque mounts like Geezer pictured. I just like that style more than the Europeans, maybe because that’s what everyone did back in the day. I’ve got a couple of them but usually I cut the horns of and forget to get around to finishing the project. 😁
Heck of a nice deer! There ain’t no shame in any deer game!
Personally, I prefer the plaque mounts like Geezer pictured. I just like that style more than the Europeans, maybe because that’s what everyone did back in the day. I’ve got a couple of them but usually I cut the horns of and forget to get around

Back in the metal tag days - lol

We used to do our bucks the way you were given. Clean off all the skin, hair and meat. Put Borax on the base for a couple weeks or if you were like my dad, throw it on the work bench for a year til all the bugs cleaned it off well LOL. We would then make a wood block to fit inside the brain cavity, shape it with a file. Attach the skull cap to the wood block with a couple screws pre-drilled through the skull. We then would use burlap, brown vinyl, some sort of fabric and wrap the skull/base and tuck underneath and then screw that wood block to a plaque pinching the fabric in between.

I can appreciate the state of Michigan mount, being born and raised there myself....I did something similar for my first turkey fan that I shot in the thumb area.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thanks...after seeing some of the pics from you, Spencie, and others in the live from the stand thread and your personal hunt journals I'm a little sheepish to share the pics, despite it being the biggest deer I've shot with a bow.
You’ve been on here long enough too know better than that, Steve.... Look no further than the Stroud’s weekend when Chuck shot his buck “Pete” and Dan shot his first public land buck.... We were just as happy for both of them....

You’ve been on here long enough too know better than that, Steve.... Look no further than the Stroud’s weekend when Chuck shot his buck “Pete” and Dan shot his first public land buck.... We were just as happy for both of them....

Exactly. That isn't what this group is about, it's not all inches, it's about the experience and sharing. Should damn well know that by now with this group if you spend 5 minutes on here.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Exactly. That isn't what this group is about, it's not all inches, it's about the experience and sharing. Should damn well know that by now with this group if you spend 5 minutes on here.

Relax guys, this is a different Steve O. He just joined Oct 31st.

Yeah sorry for the confusion with the name here everyone....despite being a new contributor, I've definitely been following the forum for years at this point.

Story goes like this, with a little background for context:

I'm not originally from central ohio (originally from metro detroit), have been living here for 12 years. I have one buddy with 5 acres that butts up to some ag, otherwise I'm limited to public land. Additionally, my wife and I just had our first kid in January, so it's a miracle I'm able to get out hunting at all this year.

Sister in law came down to visit for the weekend, had the pass from the wife to hunt most of the weekend. Saturday morning was my third total sit of the year....knowing with the temp and limited wind it was going to be as good a day as any to see some movement. Took the climber to some local state land, in the tree by 0715 with first light at 0730....by some miracle I wasn't sweating my ass off like I normally am when using the climber. Rattled a few times around 0800 nothing, 0900 nothing. Finally at 0920 a doe and a forkie slip in behind me within 20 yards or so...mill about a bit. Forkie moves off, doe is still hanging around. I figured as long as she doesn't wind me with it being early pre-rut there's always a chance something with antlers will catch her wind and come to check it out. She starts to move off to my east out of sight, and then loops back around into some heavier cover and starts stomping...she knew something wasn't right but couldn't figure out what. Again in my mind I just keep thinking don't catch my wind and alert the neighborhood. I'm so focused on her I haven't really looked around, so I look up and about 75 yards to my left (north) this dude had stepped out and started to feed. Hit the grunt tube, he looks up. Goes back to feeding, grunt, looks up. Starts moving in my direction....every time he went head down I grunted and he would look up. At this point he's probably 50 yards but making no fast effort to come directly to me. He moved behind some thicker brush and appeared as though he was going to move off in the other direction, so I hit the grunt tube one more time a little more aggressively, and also in a slightly different direction and he looks up, stops, and start moving in my direction through a gap in the brush. Stand up, shaking like a fuggin leaf, grab my bow, clip on. I realize the direction he's moving has a very small gap in some limbs so hopefully he stops. I draw, he moves into the spot and doesn't appear to be stopping so I MEH at him and let the arrow fly. Felt like I made a good shot, he turned around and started running in opposite direction but I saw no blood stream...makes it about 60-75 yards and drops kicks a little and dead. Entry shot was a little high and no exit wound. Broke my arrow off but the broadhead is still in working order, and managed to get enough lung and heart to drop him quick. Heart was still intact so I threw it on the grill saturday night along with some ice cold diet coors to celebrate a great hunt and my alma mater kicking that team up norths ass on saturday.