Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Slick Trick? Any one?

Vermonster1121

Sheldon, VT
Good morning all! I’m hoping I can get some personal experience from some of you folks. I spent this off season researching and building a better flying and penetrating arrow for my set up. I ended up going with Easton Axis Pro Grade 5mm with a 50 grain brass insert and a small 4 vane helical fletch. My plan was to build an arrow with higher KE as I’m looking at an elk hunt in a year or two. In the meantime I want to test this set up on whitetail. I decided on Slick Trick broad heads as I’ve heard nothing but great reviews. I did read and watch videos about people having flight issues but my bow (2017 Prime Centergy) is well tuned and I don’t see that being an issue. In fact I’ve already purchased a pack of Slick Trick Viper Trick and they group with my field points out to 60 yards (the furthest I’ve shot them so far). As I’m sure most of you can relate switching broadheads is quite nerve racking. I don’t have the opportunity like some to go test on other game so that I’m prepared when November comes. I was hoping I could find some individuals with first hand experience with Slick Trick heads. Specifically it would be great if it were with the Standards, Magnums, or Viper Tricks. Any info would be great.

Disclaimer: I’m not opposed to seeing some blood trails and dead animal pics! Little something to get the juices flowing....

Reactions: finelyshedded

Fletch

Supporting Member
Slick Trick user here.... Been using them for about 5 seasons so far and love them... They have accounted for 4 Illinois bucks... I'm stating Illinois cause these are all corn and soy bean fed deer and are larger than your average deer... With that said all 4 bucks were complete pass thrus showing the great penetration of Slick Tricks... All 4 bucks died within 75-100 yds after being shot... Buck in my avatar was shot last year with one... I must say I wish they produced a better blood trail... All of these bucks were shot through the "boiler room" and I would have thought the blood trail would have been better.. But then again they dropped within sight... I'm shooting 100 grain Slick Trick magnums... Will be shooting them come Nov. As someone once told me a fixed broadhead is "ALWAYS" open for business....

Slick Trick Standard 100’s is what I’ve used for quite a few years now. Killed a few deer with them and never had trouble finding blood or the deer as they all fell within 100 yards. Nice good sized holes that can’t close up easy because of the 4 blades and the blades are stupid sharp.

Big H

Medina
I have been using Slick Trick 125 Magnums for probably 15 years or so. I have not had a reason TOO switch, and I have shot quite a few deer in that time period and they don't go very far if you do your part. I have watched or heard the majority of them go down. I started buying them when you had to order them from the guy on Archery Talk, whenever that was.....

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Here's a pic from last year 100 grain Magnum everyone I've shot has bled like that. (Knock on wood)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180809-153724.png
    Screenshot_20180809-153724.png
    966 KB · Views: 639
The buck in my avitar was killed with a Slick Trick Razor Trick. It was a cut-on-contact broadhead, but it's no longer in production. The instructions on the package said it was intended for traditional bow usage. I hit the shoulder blade and one lung (best angle I was going to get before he left the area) and blood trailed him for approximately 1400 yards, where I found him dead.

Excellent flying broadheads, very durable and affordable. I'll be using the Magnums or GrizzTrick, this year.

Bowhunter57

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I have used slick tricks for several years now. I'll be using the 100gr mags this year. Used standards in 100gr until this year. I'm not sure if there is much of a difference but we shall see when I smack one lol.

The only downside I have run into with ST heads are that the bloodtrails are not the greatest.

Big H

Medina
I have used slick tricks for several years now. I'll be using the 100gr mags this year. Used standards in 100gr until this year. I'm not sure if there is much of a difference but we shall see when I smack one lol.

The only downside I have run into with ST heads are that the bloodtrails are not the greatest.

I would suggest that the blood trails may not be the greatest because the deer are dead before the blood gets up to the arrow hole. ST's are a great broadhead that will do their job as long as we do ours.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I would suggest that the blood trails may not be the greatest because the deer are dead before the blood gets up to the arrow hole. ST's are a great broadhead that will do their job as long as we do ours.
Didn't need the trail as I watched all of them drop within eyesight. Just wish it was a little better then they are. Exit holes plug up way to fast with fat. Guess that's kind of to be expected since the cutting diameter is as small as it is.

It's the only drawback that I have found with them though. At the end of the day if that's the only negative it's not all that bad lol.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I've been happy with them . They fly good . Make good blood trails with proper shot placement . Ive had good and not so good trails with them. I think the bloodtrail is more a factor of where your entry and exit is than the broadhead .

IMG_20131111_103001.jpg
IMG_20141103_133838.jpg