Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Snare Preparation for Coyotes

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Outsmarting a yote is a lot easier than outsmarting my wife. She has had 30 years of seeing the dumb shit I do :pickle:

Exactly, we've been married for 33 together for 35 and she said she's seen a lot of shenanigans perpetuated by me and I only say challenge accepted lol

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks for all the info fellas! I think I'm going to boil a dozen in baking soda and try that. Then for the other dozen I'm going to spray paint them and dip in Full Metal Jacket. Lots of great reviews on that stuff regarding its use on snares. I was surprised to read that the Dakota Line dip didn't seem to have many positive reviews for snares. Formula 1 sounds decent too but quite a few people mentioned it having a tendency to gum up the locks if not thinned down appropriately.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know a guy that uses fmj for his beaver and K9 traps but never heard of anyone using it on snares. If I was you I'd buy a $5 pack of logwood dye and call it good.
I thought that too. FMJ only comes by the gallon I think and I sure as hell don't need that much. Plus I think I can find logwood dye locally. I'm just hesitant to boil all of my snares because I'd like to use them as long as possible. Everything I'm reading says that boiled snares aren't worth a shit after a year or two due to rust.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I thought that too. FMJ only comes by the gallon I think and I sure as hell don't need that much. Plus I think I can find logwood dye locally.
Yeah your just wasting money buying all that fmj. I watched a video and the guy said it can't be reused either. Our local fin usually has logwood, as should any store that sells traps.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Walnut hulls will do just fine. I used them for about 10 years and they work good and are cheap.

JB Do a dozen and go from there. If your snares do rust (I had some in a bucket that got snowed in and neglected) All you got to do is soak them in Apple Cider Vinegar over night and your back in business. Just re dye them. Some rust is not going to hurt anything.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Getting ready to boil some right now. Thanks dudes!

Btw my dad always boiled his traps in Walnut hulls when I was a peanut. He got out of trapping before I was old enough to catch on.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ya buddy! A lot of yote sign in the area?
I have access to a property we lease for duck hunting that has a ton of potential for snaring coyotes. Lots of options for setting trails and pinch points on old remnant dikes and such. Should be a good spot.