Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Snare Preparation for Coyotes

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It went very well I think. I only put out 8 of the 12 snares I had prepared. There were a few other spots I considered setting but they seemed marginal so I just decided to start slow. I feel like I set them correctly and in some good spots. I just have some anxiety about it though... I can't stop thinking about all the deer at this property and how I hope to God one doesn't stick its neck through a snare! I made all my loops about 10" in diameter with the bottom of the loop 8-10" off the ground. I know a deer would have to go out of its way to get caught, but knowing my luck anything can happen. We'll see. 8:00 am can't get here soon enough

Gotcha, man. Thank you. I've read nothing but good things about snares with FMJ. I may just order some.
While it would absolutely sucks to snag a deer you might as well accept the fact it's going to happen eventually. You'll just have to take comfort in the fact that for every yote you snag that's dozens of deer that you saved. Sucks but you have to break a couple eggs to make an omelet. Dont let it die in vain though reset snares on the trails leading to the carcass and catch those bastards coming to it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
While it would absolutely sucks to snag a deer you might as well accept the fact it's going to happen eventually. You'll just have to take comfort in the fact that for every yote you snag that's dozens of deer that you saved. Sucks but you have to break a couple eggs to make an omelet. Dont let it die in vain though reset snares on the trails leading to the carcass and catch those bastards coming to it.

That's a good way of looking at it. I just hope it doesn't happen tomorrow. My dad is going with me on the first check. He just happens to be the only guy that pays to hunt deer on this property. I just know a deer sporting a steel necklace will not please the old man. Lol

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
It's happened to me, and thats the way you gotta look at it.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The snares look good Jim,take some pictures of your sets this morning and post them,i would like to see them.
Oh..just wait till ya catch that first live deer! Always a treat cutting one free. Lol
Now when ya catch your first yote thats a speceal kinda treat.
Like Rick said you really wanna try and not have anything hanging above your snare if at all possible,but even when ya dont you will sometimes get that one dumb deer that just has to get caught.
Good luck hope ya have some this morning but if ya go several days without dont get discouraged it sometimes takes awhile before they swing back through an area.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Not trying to hijack here, but I've always wondered what happens when you accidentally snare one and they don't survive. Does the ODNR treat that as a violation and would you get cited?
It is considered a non-target catch and you have to release them dead or alive. If it is dead you could call the game warden now and see if he would give you a tag for it, odds are he is going to tell you just to leave it where it is at. A violation doesn't come in because you accidentally snared one it would be because you took it home, at that point they could claim that was your intention the whole time.

Blan37

SW Ohio
What deer?

Nothing here to see.

lol, yeah, there's that approach :smile:

It is considered a non-target catch and you have to release them dead or alive. If it is dead you could call the game warden now and see if he would give you a tag for it, odds are he is going to tell you just to leave it where it is at. A violation doesn't come in because you accidentally snared one it would be because you took it home, at that point they could claim that was your intention the whole time.

Makes sense. Hopefully I won't ever need to make that call.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I'll never lie. It happened to me because I had a branch over my snares. Not real proud of it at all! Use it for bait and learn what NOT to do.

Like Joe said: Think about how many deer you saved with coyotes harvested. If you take a couple, your still further ahead!