Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

So TOO gave me some advice..

hunterkid94

A few weeks back I informed every one that I would be missing bow season due to not buying a bow and buying a kayak instead. Upon asking for some good kayak suggestions, they said that instead of a 'yak, I NEEDED to get a bow. Well, I took that advice. My cousin had his hold PSE F-2 that he just stopped using this year. Price? Free. Hes a lefty, Im a lefty. So not only did I get a free bow, I didnt have to dig through craigslists posts and limit myself to left handed bows. So heres some pictures. Im afraid Ill run into some problems with file sizes but ill see what I can attach.. So what I want to know is what do you think needs to go on there to ready it for this season? Keep price reasonable but I only want to pay for good equipment. Not stuff that will break on me in my first season. Thanks guys!

Kyle.

Attachments

• P7290036.jpg
    P7290036.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 244
  • P7290038.jpg
    P7290038.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 258
  • P7290042.jpg
    P7290042.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 216

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good decision, Kyle! In my opinion, bow trumps kayak any day of the week lol. That's a good looking bow... especially for being free! I would suggest maybe picking up some carbon arrows and getting rid of the aluminums. That prong rest will get the job done, but a whisker biscuit rest is cheap and a great hunting rest. Also, I don't know if you have a release aid or not, but if you do and d-loop for the release to clip onto would be a good addition as well. What is the draw weight and draw length of the bow? Maybe we could help pick out some arrows for you.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That thing will kill deer as it sits. The very first thing I would do is take it to a pro shop and have them look it over to make sure there are no major issues with it: i.e. cracked limbs, frayed string/cable, bolts backed out, etc...

If I was setting this up for you, I'd put a cheap QAD rest on it ($45-50) along with a decent Tru-Glo sight ($30) and I get come Easton Powerflight 400 arrows for it. You can get those on eBay for $70 a dozen if you look around, or you can get half dozens for $40. Of course you can do that a lot cheaper if you can build your own arrows or have someone do that for you.

Those are just my suggestions. You can go to Wal-Mart and do well on a rest, sight, stabilzier, wrist sling, and even arrows for the time being. The bow will kill deer how it sits, but a few upgrades would not hurt. For $150, you could set it up pretty solid. What area of the state do you live? If at all possible, I'll help you however I can. I might even have a few things to send your direction...

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Good deal right there. Like Jesse said, that bow will kill deer as it sits. I have used aluminum arrows until this year so I know they will get the job done.

The first thing I would upgrade would be the sights. TruGlow makes some decent sights for around $30 -$35
Second thing I would change is take off the double clips and get a D-loop added for shooting a release. ( save wear and tear on your string )

Other then those possible upgrades your good to start practicing in the yard or at the range as soon as you have a pro shop give it a once over.

I knew you was getting a bow somehow...As for a sight upgrade as mentioned above..You can get a NEW in package Extreme RT900 on ebay for 26$ an some change shipped an sales tax..Thats a 80$ sight for 26$..They are a OH based place that I have dealt with an the transaction was perfect..They had 10 or more available in AP camo when I made this post ..A whisker biscuit or any rest that has containment or is easy to keep the arrow on will work for the time being

[video]http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Extreme-RT900-fiberoptic-bow-sight-AP-Camo-19-/290582691980?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a814008c[/video]

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Nothing TOO add. Just glad ya got a bow.
Now you better start practicing!!!!

(and best of luck this season)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
These guys are the pros. Sounds like you have received some good advice. I wish you the best of luck this season!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I knew you was getting a bow somehow...As for a sight upgrade as mentioned above..You can get a NEW in package Extreme RT900 on ebay for 26$ an some change shipped an sales tax..Thats a 80$ sight for 26$..They are a OH based place that I have dealt with an the transaction was perfect..They had 10 or more available in AP camo when I made this post ..A whisker biscuit or any rest that has containment or is easy to keep the arrow on will work for the time being

[video]http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Extreme-RT900-fiberoptic-bow-sight-AP-Camo-19-/290582691980?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a814008c[/video]

Great suggestion as well Nick. Those Extreme sights are nice. I'll echo the d-loop as well. I'm fan of any Tru-Fire or TRUBall release. Along with the Scotts as well. Buying a release is all about feel IMO. Get your hands on as many as possible and shoot them a few times.

Regardless of what you do, do it quick and get to slinging some arrows. You owe it to the game to be proficient with that weapon before you go to drawing blood. The old adage about "perfect practice" applies to archery 110% across the board. The two best pieces of advice I can offer is to stop practicing the second you feel tired and know it's effecting your practice. If you can only shoot 10 arrows the first night, that's fine. Build the muscles and focus on fundamentals. The second piece of advice, is learn to let off full draw when you feel the shot going to shit. Just because you've drawn the bow, does not mean it needs to be shot. Taking bad shots is detrimental to your practice, so learning go recognize and avoid those will make you a better shot in a hurry. Just let off the bow and regroup.

Oh, and probably the best piece of advice I was ever given was learning to float the pin on the target while squeezing the trigger. When you try to hold the pin right on the target, it causes you battle yourself during the shot. You let the pin float on, around, through the target while squeezing the trigger and you'll be amazed with the results. I'm not good at explaining it in writing, so I hope that makes sense. Milo is better at it than me, so maybe he can clarify with some good analogies! It sounds like it would cause you to shoot erratically, but it's quite the opposite. That is hands down the one thing that made me a better shot...

hunterkid94

I want to thank you all for the advice. Im not sure exactly on the weight and draw but i know the draw seems a little short for me. But I know it only goes down to 60lbs draw and its not backed down all the way so we will see. Next few pays Ill be putting money into arrows/tru glow sight/wisker biscuit/stabilizer/release/broadheads. thats my list so far..

I want to thank you all for the advice. Im not sure exactly on the weight and draw but i know the draw seems a little short for me. But I know it only goes down to 60lbs draw and its not backed down all the way so we will see. Next few pays Ill be putting money into arrows/tru glow sight/wisker biscuit/stabilizer/release/broadheads. thats my list so far..

I just wanna say again an im sure most everyone will agree..The link i posted above to the Extreme sights on EBAY is buy far the best deal on a good sight you going to find.I just dont wanna see you spend more money on a lesser sight.Also I have a Tru-Ball Tornado Buckle style release I would sell...Great shape it was used very little.I would take 30$ an a few $ to ship..Say 32$

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i will only add that you need to check the peep tube for dry rotting and fatigue. that thing only goes when you pull your bow back and if it breaks it may break right toward your eye. you may want to remove that all together...nice to see a kid taking up the sport and you live in one of the top whitetail county's available in ohio so enjoy. OMO, nice find on those site man..thats a heck of a buy.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
What broadheads do you plan on getting?