Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sprayer Boom

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I traded a back tension release for a 15-gallon sprayer with an extra pump about two years ago. I've been meaning to build a 5' boom for it so I can spray the larger plots I plan on planting this year. Anyone have any experience with building one of these? I've looked at a few plans and have a few ideas myself, but I thought I would tap the TOOzer community and see what was out there...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Plexiglass about 2" thick by 4-5' long. Put some thin flat stock behind it for support. Drill holes through it for spray heads. Bolt them together in between the heads. Run your hose with a little slack in between the heads. Ours are mounted to the quad through a 1"x1" square stock bent (or welded) which mount to the trailer hitch on the quad with a bolt. Just come backward far enough to clear your racks, and up approximately to the top of your tires. Mount your plexiglass boom to the 1" square stock. If you hit something the plexiglass will bend a little bit and give. Works for me.

If you want to you can make it a little more rigid by cutting the plexiglass in the middle. This also keeps the opposite side from getting all out of whack on the spray pattern if you hit something like a saplings. Shorter run out each side of the mounting point is easier for storage. What we do is keep enough slack on the hose to where we can actually rotate each side up when in transport. I bet each of our sections is 4' long now that I think about it. We cover about 10-12' at a time. In order to do this you will need some sort of stop or removable pin with a second hole in order to keep them straight when extended out. I will snap some pics sometime next week. I should have it hooked up then.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think Phil's idea sounds pretty damn good. When it comes to the boom, just use your imagination... If you have stuff laying around that you could use to fabricate, that's a plus. Once you figure out the boom itself, all your nozzles, hoses and fittings should be available at TSC. I'm assuming your sprayer already has a suction line screen/filter built in? If not, definitely add one so that any dirt or debris gets caught before reaching the nozzles. That'll save you some headaches.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good point Jim. I should have added that but was trying to hurry as supper was on the table and my daughter had a tournament softball game tonight. They won! Came back from 0-3 and played their hearts out. Amazing what 9-10yr old girls can do out there.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good point Jim. I should have added that but was trying to hurry as supper was on the table and my daughter had a tournament softball game tonight. They won! Came back from 0-3 and played their hearts out. Amazing what 9-10yr old girls can do out there.

That's awesome, dude. Sounds like it was a good game that's for sure! Let me ask you something... Is watching girls softball less painful since you're daughter is playing? lmao I've seen a few games in my day, and they all made me want to put a gun in my mouth... but obviously I don't have a kid playing, either. lol lmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's awesome, dude. Sounds like it was a good game that's for sure! Let me ask you something... Is watching girls softball less painful since you're daughter is playing? lmao I've seen a few games in my day, and they all made me want to put a gun in my mouth... but obviously I don't have a kid playing, either. lol lmao

Watching almost any youth game is painful. Sure, there are moments that are cute and you laugh, but if it were not my children there is not much of a chance I would be watching. It is pretty neat to see the kids progress as the season comes to a close. They have made big strides in a short season, both my son and daughter's teams. The thing to remember is "It is not about you!" It is about the kids. It is seeing their reactions, listening to them recap the game or the hit or the catch. I just want my kids to remember I was there to support them in their activities as they grow older. They won't remember me yawning, or trying to make it go faster. They will remember I was there to cheer them on. For what it is worth, the ball games are much much much much much better than the dance recitals.:smiley_clap:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Watching almost any youth game is painful. Sure, there are moments that are cute and you laugh, but if it were not my children there is not much of a chance I would be watching. It is pretty neat to see the kids progress as the season comes to a close. They have made big strides in a short season, both my son and daughter's teams. The thing to remember is "It is not about you!" It is about the kids. It is seeing their reactions, listening to them recap the game or the hit or the catch. I just want my kids to remember I was there to support them in their activities as they grow older. They won't remember me yawning, or trying to make it go faster. They will remember I was there to cheer them on. For what it is worth, the ball games are much much much much much better than the dance recitals.:smiley_clap:

lmao